GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installation of H7rc Bulbs in Halogen Housing

rpandresen

Ready to race!
Install of H7rc bulbs can be done without removing the front bumper. Wear gloves when handling HID bulbs. I recommend latex or thing rubber gloves. Mechanics gloves will not give you the touch necessary to do this.

Some pictures to refer to as you read the instructions

OEM bulb/bracket vs no-tap bracket comparison

Metal tab of bulb fits into notch of bracket

Note rubber seal piece on bulb harness (right side of pic)

Pieces mounted on passenger side

Pieces mounted driver side

1. Remove rubber cover and set aside.

2. Cut hole in rubber cover slightly smaller than internal radius of rubber seal on HID bulb harness. The seal has 2 disks of rubber. One will sit inside the light housing on the internal face of the rubber cover and on will sit on the engine bay side of the rubber cover. Test fit.

3. Remove OEM bulb/bracket by turning counterclockwise. Hold your hand steady when removing and make note of how the bracket is oriented.

4. Slide wires of HID harness through cut in no-tap bracket. Rest HID bulb in the bracket and match the tab on the base of the bulb to notch in the bracket.

5. Attach blue connectors from bracket to the red connectors of the bulb. They MUST be correctly paired for the lights to work. The only way I could tell was by test firing the lights once I had everything connected. After step 7.

6. While holding on to the plastic tabs of the no-tap bracket and keeping tension on the wiring harness to keep bulb seated, insert the bracket and bulb into housing.

7. Turn clockwise once the bracket is seated.

8. Attach ballasts and rest of harness together and test lights. If they don’t work switch connections from step 5.

9. Disconnect ballasts.

10. Run wiring harness through rubber cover and reinstall it. Re-attach the wires to the harness and test again.

11. Once you’re confident they’re working, attach the ballasts to the engine bay.

Notes from my install:
1. I used glue on the tab and notch to hold them together when I installed the driver side light.
2. I test fit the new bracket multiple times so that I would be familiar with how it fits before attempting with the bulb attached. I HIGHLY recommend this as the no-tap brackets do not fit as cleanly as the OEM ones.
3. I know the metal square will get extremely hot so I tried to keep it away from the other components (not stacking them)

xtant3150

Ready to race!
One note on these that I found... Maybe this is common knowledge, but I had to do quite a bit of searching to figure it out. You have to pull the wire (with the tabs) and it's harness out of their rubber gasket to get the bulb seperated from the plastic shipping housing, as well as putting the bulb through the adapter they ship. Then push the wire tabs back through the gasket... I wish I'd taken pictures of this but I didn't, so hopefully this description is enough for people to figure it out...

rpandresen

Ready to race!
You have to pull the wire (with the tabs) and it's harness out of their rubber gasket to get the bulb seperated from the plastic shipping housing, as well as putting the bulb through the adapter they ship. Then push the wire tabs back through the gasket.

What you're describing is nothing like what I had. The bulb shipped to me with a plastic cap screwed onto a plastic base. You can see it in my picture above. They unscrew and the top comes right off. The base goes down the wires and everything passes through it without a problem.

Whatever issue you had, has been fixed apparently because this simply unscrews and separates.

xtant3150

Ready to race!
What you're describing is nothing like what I had. The bulb shipped to me with a plastic cap screwed onto a plastic base. You can see it in my picture above. They unscrew and the top comes right off. The base goes down the wires and everything passes through it without a problem.

Whatever issue you had, has been fixed apparently because this simply unscrews and separates.

The issue I had wasn't with getting the plastic protective housing off (sorry, I wasn't clear on that), but getting the wires through the adapter that plugs into the headlight housing. I didn't do the no-tap option (wasn't available when I purchased, though I'm not sure I would have), so maybe the no-tap adapter they gave you didn't have that issue...

rpandresen

Ready to race!
The issue I had wasn't with getting the plastic protective housing off (sorry, I wasn't clear on that), but getting the wires through the adapter that plugs into the headlight housing. I didn't do the no-tap option (wasn't available when I purchased, though I'm not sure I would have), so maybe the no-tap adapter they gave you didn't have that issue...

Gotcha now! Yes the no-tap adapters make it easy to get the wiring and bulb on the adapter.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Although in your second picture I can see the slot to put the wires through! I think!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I now see I wasn't replying to the OP

Last edited: