GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grinding, EPC Flashing, Car shut off

RyanCFree

2012 MK6 GTI. Completely stock. 41k miles.

Was driving to work the other day, made a right turn off my street. I heard a grinding noise coming from engine (sounded similar to abs clicking noise under heavy braking on ice). During the grinding noise, pressing the gas pedal did nothing. I was in gear but it felt like when you run out of gas if you know what that's like. No throttle response. Also during this time, the EPC light flashed and then the car shut off entirely with the battery light on. I restarted the car immediately, and it started right up and I turned around and parked the car.

I had it towed to VW dealer and they said the check engine was for a bad crankshaft sensor, which they then replaced for 300 some dollars out the door. While in the shop they replaced my water pump for free and did the ECU software upgrade.

Today I got the car back. It drove fine for a bit, and then I made a sharp right turn, and it happened again. Grinding noise, EPC flashing, no throttle response, but the car stayed running. This time, the OIL PRESSURE, SHUT OFF ENGINE light came on. It seems every time I make any kind of moderately quick turn, I can easily replicate the grinding noise and loss of power but if you keep off the gas, the car will stay running. If you try to push the gas, it'll shut off.

Any thoughts? This is very frustrating and I can't seem to find anything about this problem happening to others. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DELETE

Autocross Champion
High pressure fuel pump? Limp mode?

MK6 GTi PZEV United Gray | Kohlefaser Luft Technik Intake

RyanCFree

I took the car back to the dealer today and they checked it out. They said the oil was 2 quarts low and they put more in. We then drove the car around the lot and it's been completely fine ever since. I'm sort of blown away as the oil was just changed 3k miles ago. I asked how I can possibly be 2 quarts low after 3k miles and they stated that these engines can go through a quart every 1k to 1500 miles. I then asked how they can possibly recommend an oil change interval of 10k miles, and that I feel that that seems wayy too much oil consumption for a healthy engine. Am I wrong? That seems insane to me. Furthermore I'm pretty pissed that I spent 300 bucks on a faulty sensor that likely wasn't even faulty. I generally check my oil every 3k miles or so so I was due and I do feel this is somewhat my fault I suppose. But damn, this just seems crazy to me.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
It would seem ur stealership is blowing smoke up ur ass. No way that's accurate. I drive my car hard and get to the bottom min mark l of my dip stick after about 7500 miles which is how often i change it. It's weird that only right turning it seems to cause it. My GTI is at 43k miles and I've only had the water pump fail on me.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Are u sure you don't have an oil leak somewhere?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
Are you sure it was even full at the last oil change? You should be checking the oil regularly anyway, leak or not. You can't assume it's fine until the next service.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Don't drive your car low on oil. Pull the dipstick once a week. If you need oil add it then, don't wait until you are at the minimum line to change or add. Oil is cheap engines are now.

The noise you were hearing Ryan could be your engine starving for oil on those turns. If your car uses that much oil keep a close eye on it. I'd recommend changing oil every 5,000 miles. IMHO 10,000 is just too long.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Check Air/Oil Separator

I took the car back to the dealer today and they checked it out. They said the oil was 2 quarts low and they put more in. We then drove the car around the lot and it's been completely fine ever since. I'm sort of blown away as the oil was just changed 3k miles ago. I asked how I can possibly be 2 quarts low after 3k miles and they stated that these engines can go through a quart every 1k to 1500 miles. I then asked how they can possibly recommend an oil change interval of 10k miles, and that I feel that that seems wayy too much oil consumption for a healthy engine. Am I wrong? That seems insane to me. Furthermore I'm pretty pissed that I spent 300 bucks on a faulty sensor that likely wasn't even faulty. I generally check my oil every 3k miles or so so I was due and I do feel this is somewhat my fault I suppose. But damn, this just seems crazy to me.
You should get the dealer to check the Air/oil Separator, also called the PCV valve. The PCV fails more in the winter, and litterly suck oil into the intake. They can check the PCV by removing the round cap and inspection the diaphragm, it can fail in other ways as well so it your PCV is original I would just have it changed or you can do it yourself.

https://youtu.be/JF3O6ChxBv0

Good luck !

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I generally check my oil every 3k miles or so so I was due and I do feel this is somewhat my fault I suppose. But damn, this just seems crazy to me.

Check the oil at every fuel fill up. It doesn't add any time as you can do it while the gas it pumping, and you can be sure that your oil is full.

SeanGTI12

2012 MK6 GTI. Completely stock. 41k miles.

Was driving to work the other day, made a right turn off my street. I heard a grinding noise coming from engine (sounded similar to abs clicking noise under heavy braking on ice). During the grinding noise, pressing the gas pedal did nothing. I was in gear but it felt like when you run out of gas if you know what that's like. No throttle response. Also during this time, the EPC light flashed and then the car shut off entirely with the battery light on. I restarted the car immediately, and it started right up and I turned around and parked the car.

I had it towed to VW dealer and they said the check engine was for a bad crankshaft sensor, which they then replaced for 300 some dollars out the door. While in the shop they replaced my water pump for free and did the ECU software upgrade.

Today I got the car back. It drove fine for a bit, and then I made a sharp right turn, and it happened again. Grinding noise, EPC flashing, no throttle response, but the car stayed running. This time, the OIL PRESSURE, SHUT OFF ENGINE light came on. It seems every time I make any kind of moderately quick turn, I can easily replicate the grinding noise and loss of power but if you keep off the gas, the car will stay running. If you try to push the gas, it'll shut off.

Any thoughts? This is very frustrating and I can't seem to find anything about this problem happening to others. Thanks in advance.
My car is having the exact same problems right now and do you know what you ever did to fix it?