GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

coolant temps 200F-220F. thermostat or waterpump??

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
on my p3 gauge im reading atleast 200+ coolant temps during normal driving. it peaks at 220 sometimes. i does go down briefly but then goes back up. my upper rad hose is hot and the bottom hose is not hot. im guessing the thermostat is stuck.:iono:

is the thermostat in the same location as the mk5? if so i could just use a mk5 diy as a guide.

has anyone else ran these coolant temps before??

the useless stock temp dummy gauge is always at 190F, thats why i use the p3 gauge. much more accurate.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Define normal driving? Mine runs at 200F cruising. It'll go up to 225F till the fans come on.

shortydh

Ready to race!
Thermostat is in water pump housing for mk6 might as well change both

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I have never seen mine go above 190. Sometimes when it's cold, the thermostat doesn't open for a while so the temp will rapidly approach 190, then drop back down, then climb again...but even with heavy load on the engine, I have never seen higher than 190.

shortydh

Ready to race!
Have you changed you're coolant recently?

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I have never seen mine go above 190. Sometimes when it's cold, the thermostat doesn't open for a while so the temp will rapidly approach 190, then drop back down, then climb again...but even with heavy load on the engine, I have never seen higher than 190.

What gauge are you reading this from?

goose1

Ready to race!
The stock gauge reads at 190.
Temp:180 gauge:190
Temp:200 gauge: 190
Temp: 225 gauge: 190
Temp:250 gauge: 190
until you overheat, its more of a dummy light than a proper gauge, wouldn't want all the customers complaining about coolant temps being ever so slightly high. I remember NA Miatas had a working oil pressure gauge and when too many people complained about either slightly low or slightly high while still being in the normal range, they switched to one that shows a steady oil pressure as long as its within safe range.

But yeah, when running Torque on my phone my coolant is at 200ish when warmed up

racinrabbit1

Ready to race!
Yep. The dash gauge is a dummy gauge. Normal cruising my coolant temp is around 205-210

Sent from space using dark matter

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
The stock gauge reads at 190.
Temp:180 gauge:190
Temp:200 gauge: 190
Temp: 225 gauge: 190
Temp:250 gauge: 190
until you overheat, its more of a dummy light than a proper gauge, wouldn't want all the customers complaining about coolant temps being ever so slightly high. I remember NA Miatas had a working oil pressure gauge and when too many people complained about either slightly low or slightly high while still being in the normal range, they switched to one that shows a steady oil pressure as long as its within safe range.

But yeah, when running Torque on my phone my coolant is at 200ish when warmed up

This is my point. I have an ultragauge that reads actual coolant temp from the sensor. The operating temp varies. The dash gauge is a dummy gauge and will not move past 190 until shit has hit the fan.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
I'm curious about the bottom rad hose which doesn't seem to be getting hot. I will keep checking it every day.

Sent from my iPhone 5C with Tapatalky

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
What gauge are you reading this from?

The stock gauge in the instrument cluster. Where else would I be reading it...?