GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone ever tried....

privman

Ready to race!
Has anyone ever thought about running just one single pipe/hose from an aftermarket intercooler to the turbo? Basically combining a ic hose and pancake pipe? Would this be sufficient at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

privman

Ready to race!
Yes. One piece? From ic to turbo coupler

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Yes. One piece? From ic to turbo coupler

The pipe goes from turbo to ic to throttle body... it doesnt go ic to turbo....

And it would take a shit ton of fab work to make it 1 piece there are like 2 bends at odd angles..

from the turbo it goes down then bends to the left then back to the right into the intercooler... you wouldnt be able to fab 1 piece then put on it would have to be welded together as its on...

privman

Ready to race!
The pipe goes from turbo to ic to throttle body... it doesnt go ic to turbo....

And it would take a shit ton of fab work to make it 1 piece there are like 2 bends at odd angles..

from the turbo it goes down then bends to the left then back to the right into the intercooler... you wouldnt be able to fab 1 piece then put on it would have to be welded together as its on...

I thought it went from intercooler silicone pipe to a pancake pipe into the turbo?

privman

Ready to race!
These two pipes combined into one.

privman

Ready to race!
It wouldn't be much of a gain. Just would insure one less leak position, also maybe more of a constant flow if it was all same material, size, etc.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
The intercooler does not move and your engine does. Really you would only be getting rid of one 90 degree couping and the one rubber hose that goes from the pancake to the IC. You should have these rubber hoses there for some flex between the intercooler and the hardpipes/turbo.

So no, there is no benefit.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Would be nice for single aluminum pipe connecting the turbo and IC but as others mentioned....fabrication city. You'd definitely need to upgrade your engine mounts and dogbone insert as well.

hmmm...maybe you can get a good muffler shop to do the mandrel bends? :character0293:

privman

Ready to race!
Yeah. Nothing short of Mandrel bends and some tig welding. I was wondering if I could send in my pancake pipe with it attached to my silicone ic hose and they mock it up that way but then they wouldn't have it 100% positioned the way it'd need to be.

I don't understand half of any of that stuff. Lol I was just seeing if anyone else had done anything like it

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
You mean running a pipe from the compressor to the FMIC without the pancake pipe and hose? Yes, custom welded pipes would be what you want.

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
The intercooler does not move and your engine does. Really you would only be getting rid of one 90 degree couping and the one rubber hose that goes from the pancake to the IC. You should have these rubber hoses there for some flex between the intercooler and the hardpipes/turbo.

So no, there is no benefit.

This.

The IC pipes NEED some flex point.

Yo.SeungHyun

Ready to race!
Not really when you use silicone connectors, it should be all the flex you need unless your mounts are shot

privman

Ready to race!
I would imagine that you'd still have a coupler at each end. The stock pancake doesn't flex so I don't see why the pipe that replaces it would have to. And the stock ic hoses are so small the couplers at each end would probably be same length.

I just was thinking it'd help reduce leaking spots. And hoping maybe better flow since the material would be continuously the same size & material. The pancake pipe to aftermarket ic hoses isn't the greatest connection anyways. Using the stock clamp still lets it move.

I was just starting this thread to see if anyone had done it before. And how they went about doing it. It'd be a lot easier/better to install just one pipe on that side instead of paying for a front mount that comes with a silicone hose then have to buy another pipe to replace the pancake pipe.