GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1K off MSRP, good deal?

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
I am looking to get into a new GTI. The used ones are few and far between and the ones that are priced to sell are in poor shape.

Priced out a new base model and they came back and said they would sell for invoice... They printed out a sheet that showed msrp, options and invoice pricing. Whether it was legit I don't know, but it was priced about 1K under msrp.

They were giving me a solid KBB trade-in value for my car. 2012 Impreza sport with 11K miles. Clean. Offered 17K

I didn't pull the trigger because I wanted to check out a 2012 used at a different dealer first. Plus, I hate the detroit wheels.

After getting jacked at the other dealer I want to go back to this original dealer that was very open and professional and put something together on a new car. The 66mo @ .9% puts the numbers where I am comfortable with. I think I may go with the options to get the Laguna wheels and steering wheel controls. Looks to cost about another 2K.

This was first go around and we didn't really "play the game" because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do yet. Do they usually move the cars under invoice? Should I wait till next month to see if they are offering any cash back deals? The .9%@66mo is worth it to me.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
the .9% is pretty darn good , no doubt. I would think you could probably get more than KBB trade-in on your car - is that on the low or high trade value for your car? did you also check values on www.nada.com ?

As for pricing on the GTI, you should be able to get them lower than 1k off, esp now adays with a new one coming in the next year or so.

Check out my link below, let me know if you want help.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
That is dead center middle according to KBB. KBB says on a trade-in it is worth:
Good- $16,600
Very Good-$17,400
Excellent- $17,700.

nada.com trade-in:
average- $17,800
Clean- $18,800
Retail- $21,200.

So NADA pricing a little higher. I originally told them I wanted 18,000. Made the mistake of telling them I would be happy with 17K I didn't check the prices since I just stopped in off the street. Didn't realize trade-in prices were so high.

MSRP of base GTI is $25,860 with delivery and floor mats. They priced me at $24,400 which is about 1400 off.

According to Nada.com, invoice with Destination is $24,400. So looks legit to me on that side of things.

We didn't negotiate heavily (or really at all yet). That was their first price so I am sure it could go down.

According to Nada.com there is some left on the table. Question is, which do you go by? Nada or KBB?

If I get under invoice (is that possible?) on the new car and another 500-1000 on my trade I would be very happy. Can it happen? Guess we will find out tomorrow.

They have a Wolfsburg in color I want that invoices out at $24,800.
Otherwise I would go up to the SR/Conv. package that invoices at $26,700. I mostly want the touch screen radio to liven up the inside a little. I could care less about the sunroof.
Sunroof, nav, xenons invoice at $28,200. Little out of my range for a third car.

Is the RCD510 a direct swap? If so, they are cheap on ebay, under $400 for a new one. At that point, it makes more sense for me to go Woflsburg and save the $1600.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Use trucar.com for pricing in your area. It varies by location.

Either way trading a 2012 for a 2012 is always going to be a lose lose situation. You lost what, 6k on the Impreza in a year?

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Definitely talk to GunKata in this case if you're unsure. I'm not sure about Chicago, but here $1k off leaves some dealing to be done. However, with a trade you can have other items on the table that can impact the real deal.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
I got the impreza for 19k a year ago with no trade. I thought 17k was a fair price considering I only paid 2k more a year ago. They hold their value that's for sure.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
1K off MSRP, good deal?

No.

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
I paid 26,500 OTD for mine. I have a 6-speed 2-Door with Convenience and Sunroof. Didn't have a trade in either.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
NADA seems more accurate on most things than KBB. You will notice KBB is almost always used by dealers when SELLING a car, to "show" you how much you are saving/getting off KBB, well there's a reason for that. Similarly, Truecar seems to be much like KBB as far as being very "dealer backed", so I'd be careful with that as well, but them and Edmunds are always worth checking. Edmunds can get you quotes from local dealers as well.

In the end, I would have fought harder to get the 18k by starting at 19K. The entire process is a negotiation and numbers game for all sides. But yes, you should also be able to get more off the new car, probably more like 2k+ off the MSRP.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
I paid 26,500 OTD for mine. I have a 6-speed 2-Door with Convenience and Sunroof. Didn't have a trade in either.

Out the door, like with taxes? We have 9% tax here so that would be a selling price of about 24K for a car that stickers at 27K+?

NADA seems more accurate on most things than KBB. You will notice KBB is almost always used by dealers when SELLING a car, to "show" you how much you are saving/getting off KBB, well there's a reason for that. Similarly, Truecar seems to be much like KBB as far as being very "dealer backed", so I'd be careful with that as well, but them and Edmunds are always worth checking. Edmunds can get you quotes from local dealers as well.

In the end, I would have fought harder to get the 18k by starting at 19K. The entire process is a negotiation and numbers game for all sides. But yes, you should also be able to get more off the new car, probably more like 2k+ off the MSRP.

Like I said, I had no idea trade-in was so high on my car. Plus we didn't really negotiate yet. I asked how much for one of their cars vs a new car. They checked my car out, came back with some numbers and monthlys all broken down on a sheet for each car for me to look at. They kept saying they won't loose a customer because of price though.

I was really interested in their used one but it was filthy. I told them to clean it up and that I would be back the next day to check it out and work out the numbers after seeing the condition. They weren't pushy and agreed to that. After seeing the condition clean the next day, it was in poor shape and I didn't want to work a new car price since I wanted to check out the 2012 at dealership number 2.

After the hassle at dealership 2 I have decided to give dealership 1 my business on a new car. They were very professional and I liked that. I have bought and sold many cars so I know all their games and tricks. Dealership 1 was a refreshing break from the typical scummy dealerships. I called them yesterday about a car on the lot and told them I'd swing by today to look at it and hopefully we could work something out.

I am going to go in there a little more informed about my cars value and hopefully get under invoice on the new car. I have a monthly budget that I don't want to exceed and I know what the bottom dollar needs to be to reach that point.

Is the extended warranty they offer at closing worth it? Not sure I will keep the car past 3 years or not. It will take 1.5-2 years to reach 36K miles though.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Out the door, like with taxes? We have 9% tax here so that would be a selling price of about 24K for a car that stickers at 27K+?

Like I said, I had no idea trade-in was so high on my car. Plus we didn't really negotiate yet. I asked how much for one of their cars vs a new car. They checked my car out, came back with some numbers and monthlys all broken down on a sheet for each car for me to look at. They kept saying they won't loose a customer because of price though.

I was really interested in their used one but it was filthy. I told them to clean it up and that I would be back the next day to check it out and work out the numbers after seeing the condition. They weren't pushy and agreed to that. After seeing the condition clean the next day, it was in poor shape and I didn't want to work a new car price since I wanted to check out the 2012 at dealership number 2.

After the hassle at dealership 2 I have decided to give dealership 1 my business on a new car. They were very professional and I liked that. I have bought and sold many cars so I know all their games and tricks. Dealership 1 was a refreshing break from the typical scummy dealerships. I called them yesterday about a car on the lot and told them I'd swing by today to look at it and hopefully we could work something out.

I am going to go in there a little more informed about my cars value and hopefully get under invoice on the new car. I have a monthly budget that I don't want to exceed and I know what the bottom dollar needs to be to reach that point.

Is the extended warranty they offer at closing worth it? Not sure I will keep the car past 3 years or not. It will take 1.5-2 years to reach 36K miles though.

Sales will always tell you, "we wont lose the deal on price".. well, what else could they really lose it on?!? :lol:

Warranty - will you mod at all? if not keeping past 3 years, may not be worth it.

Sure, they will always throw numbers and monthly payment amounts at you, that is nothing new. Did those numbers show the interest rate by any chance? ;)

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
Sales will always tell you, "we wont lose the deal on price".. well, what else could they really lose it on?!? :lol:

Warranty - will you mod at all? if not keeping past 3 years, may not be worth it.

Sure, they will always throw numbers and monthly payment amounts at you, that is nothing new. Did those numbers show the interest rate by any chance? ;)

I may mod stage 1. It will be a primarily daily driver. Gas saver compared to my Tundra.

It showed APRs. 0.9% on the new for 66 mo promo and 1.99% on CPO used for 60. They put tax in (difference with trade obviously), doc fees, trade in value, my payoff (which I knew), price for the car, interest paid over life of loan and monthly. Like I said, it was legit on paper with all the numbers in black and white. I've never seen that done before on a first go around inquiry.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
OK, that is good then. As for stage 1, we have a few mod friendly dealers around in the area, so that is good and they typically seem to keep the warranty in tact/don't make it an issue.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
Well I got it.

Base Wolfsburg edition. It was the exact car I was looking for. Laguna wheels, steering wheel controls and not a lot of BS. They would only sell for their invoice price, which was about $1000 under MSRP with dest. They gave me $17,700 for my trade. I paid $19K for it new a year ago and put 12K miles on it. Got the .90% for 66mo finance rate and it all came together. I likely coulda have squeezed a bit more but after saturdays debacle I was really sick of dealing. Chicago Autobarn were very easy to work with and they were upfront about all their numbers from first meeting to finance time. Nothing changed. Solid numbers in the beginning as well. Wasn't worth the extra $10/mo savings I might get from haggling another hour or leaving.

edit:
not sure how much more they would have moved with it being a "special edition" model. Checking the local dealers looks like each one only had 1-2 WB verses 10 of the standard gti.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
cool beans, congrats!