GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Convince my gf to tune her R

GTIpilot1

Ready to race!
Need some help dispelling some myths to the above-mentioned (who has trolled this forum for a year or so and still hasn't made a username).

She has trouble believing me when I tell her that her clutch will be fine, the ECU won't fry, and that the car won't snap in half upon getting a tune.

Reasons why she doesn't believe me:
1.) My ECU fried
2.) My clutch failed
3.) Because.

So this is where an internet full of already-tuned R owners (that's you) comes to the rescue.

Pls halp.

Last edited:

WAP

Go Kart Champion
I don't have an R, but the FSI engine can be flashed through the OBD2 port, so the ECU should be fine.

kelpqq

Ready to race!
well the fact she has a Golf R means she is not the average female, I don't see a problem with reason 3.

Can you at least convince her to do the 6 hour APR trial?

GTIpilot1

Ready to race!
well the fact she has a Golf R means she is not the average female, I don't see a problem with reason 3.

Can you at least convince her to do the 6 hour APR trial?

Such awesome responses :thumbup:

Called my nearest dealer a few months back.. They said it wasn't offered for the Golf R...
Maybe I should call someone else.

Bodhi

Go Kart Champion
Such awesome responses :thumbup:

Called my nearest dealer a few months back.. They said it wasn't offered for the Golf R...
Maybe I should call someone else.

Call around. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't offer the trial.

wbean

attention whore
trial isn't for everyone.

but there's a 30 day money back guaranteed for unitronic. go find a uni dealer!

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
Golf R's clutches have been known to give out. If you go Stage 1+, expect to replace the clutch at some point. There have been reports of people on Stage 2+ with no need to replace the clutch, but they seem to be the exception, and not the norm.

APR does offer a 30 day money back guarantee. However, be aware that some places will charge you labor for uninstalling it. I would make sure if there are any cost involved if you do decide you don't want it.

abalinka

Go Kart Champion
Does your girlfriend even want to get her car tuned, or do you just want her to do it?

If she's happy with the performance of the stock R, just let it go. If she'd like a little more power, then a tune will really open things up. I only have a tune (C2ner) and an intake and I'm pretty happy with where the car is right now. I only have 9k miles, so I cannot speak for the longevity of the clutch.

Tell her it's for safety, better acceleration because of stage 1 or 2 means you can accelerate more when it counts! Better suspension means you stick better on the ground. A BBK means you can brake better, it can save your life!

Finally tell her that a flashed car get a better mpg

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Went APR stage 1 at 16,000 miles. Clutch slipped immediately. Now have it in stock map until i save for a proper clutch.

At 17,000 miles had to drive to AP tuning to have the ECU updated and APR software reflashed- Reason: Went to switch maps and ECU crapped out. Had to unhook battery for 5 mins to start the car every single time. It is a known issue on some of the early build Rs.

Still waiting for my water pump to grenade my engine.

I am a March 2012 build.

Otherwise i freaking love this car and know two other people who didn't have a slipping clutch, one is stage 2, the other stage 2+....Luck of the draw...

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I don't have an R, but the FSI engine can be flashed through the OBD2 port, so the ECU should be fine.

pretty much this reason. no ECU risk at all. just a stage 1, nothing else..