GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

~~ My challenging CW GTI build thread ~~

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Hey my fellow dubbers..

Working on your car here isn't an easy thing, no local tuning companies whatsoever, you order EVERYTHING online and wait 1week (US) or 3 days (UK) for them to be delivered, then starts the search for a proper shop to install some of these parts if DIY not possible.

Mod List (Updated):

>-~~ Click for Mod List ~~-<

Build Journal:

Here is what i proudly came from:

And had to move on to something totally different on 22th oct '10:

UPDATES:

~~26th NOV '10~~

Had a flat tire, a whole week and lots of cash to get it shipped from TireRack USA.

~~26th DEC '10~~

Installed P2SPEC license plate white LED replacement kit and luminics ultrawhite bulbs in fogs and low beam.

~~31th JAN '11~~

Installed the armrest, media iPod/USB interface (aka MDI), euro cup holder with slider door and all needed duct for functional rear vents (it was A LOT of work...so worth it though).

~~15th FEB '11~~

Ordered a 1 week used P3 gauge, it goes in the left air vent, looks great and gets measurements from VW "OBDII port" aka ECU values, it's reliable and so quick and precious..measures boost, exhaust temp, rpms & shift light, 0-60, clears codes, ect..

Oh and also ordered VAGCOM Mirco-can from Ross-tech!

~~17th FEB '11~~

Took out my ECU and sent it to APR North America, they should send back my ECU chipped Stage II.

Here is a dyno paper (BHP, 245-255WHP):

~~24th FEB '11~~

Currently waiting for my ECU to be shipped to APR..can't wait, missing the car tons!!

~~26th FEB '11~~

My ECU is finally in APR hands! and i got this installed, 20 mins job, removing the vent was EASY...just pushed it from the inside and it popped out!

PS couldn't test it out yet without my ECU!

~~8h March '11~~

Just recieved my 3" Ultimate racing Downpipe, catted and non resonated...these guys are GREAT, totally recommended!

I know where i am getting my catback later on, let's just hope the no resonator option was a wise choice haha!

~~15th March '11~~

Installed the UR DP and switched software to stage 2...LOVING the power and DP growls when you push it, DSG farts are so loud.

Here is a little video i made with my GoPRO HD cam (excuse the quality)

~~4th April '11~~

Installed my euro badges (white edition).

~~28th April '11~~

Received my APR FMIC, this is gonna be great for the insane temps here in Qatar!

~~5th May '11~~

Ordered a Neuspeed turbo outlet pipe to replace the restrictive stock pipe, should be here soon!

Will install both the FMIC along with the pipe, when i have the TOP in my hands!

~~21th June '11~~

My car has never spoiled so much!

Today installed the APR FMIC, Neuspeed TOP by shop and the CarbonSpeed CAI myself.

The car pulls (so much) harder, spools a lot quicker and it peaks to 20PSI now, it used to peak to 18 at most, i am 100% positive about this, i can't believe how restrictive the stock intake system is.

Also gave her a nice and long wash, hasn't been washed for awhile, from the dealer visits (for wind issue) and installing parts!

~~24th July '11~~

Tinted my fogs, car looks way wider and more aggressive with this tiny mod..

~~31th July '11~~

Installed my hybrid APR badge and oem GTI and removed the euro badge...also went for a shoot.

Link to the shoot: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=330977#post330977

~~5th August '11~~

Full LED interior from Superbrightleds.com

^license plate leds are from p2spec

~~11th August '11~~

Got my OEM Aspherical mirrors and R tails adapters, will be buying the lights in few days (tinted) from my local dealer.

~~24th August '11~~

Got my R tails on! tinted with fog.

Car is dirty as hell, but here is a pic.

After the shower..

~~7th September '11~~

Installed my OEM LED style bixenon headlights (the same joy as when i got my stg2 tune):

Low beam: Morimoto 6k bulbs , fog lights: Luminics Ultrawhite bulbs, LEDs: 6k color

Also painted my front lower valance gloss black, made the front license plate mount sleeker/slimmer and Tiguan noise pipe delete along with rev 'D' DV.

~~12th September '11~~

Installed my Borla tips, they are poking a little more than i wanted, but they are growing in me.

Also installed the BSH torque mount insert, the car doesn't jump around like before when shifting, vibrations are a lot in reverse and some of it in neutral, but i don't mind it at all, makes the car feel a little more sporty :D

~~19th September '11~~

Installed my Morimoto HID kit [6k,35w to match the bixenons] in the fog lights, turned out a lot nicer than i expected.

More shots here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=379978&postcount=249

~~5th October '11~~

Installed my RB badges (front and rear VW and GTI) along with a glass rear wiper delete.

~~10th December '11~~

Installed my Magnaflow tips, looks FAAAAR better than the Borla..i love them.

~~18th January '12~~

Just finished my finals and i am back on track!

Installed my replacement Gecleant glass plug with their new black glue.

No more green ring, it looks perfect!!

More pics and full shoot here: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30956

~~20th February '12~~

Installed my SPAX RSX coilovers...readjusting and alignment in a week!

~~26th February '12~~

Raised the car to 25" all around, done an alignment, removed BSH insert, dealer replaced battery under warranty and ordered a new rain tray seal.

The car doesn't only handle better (raised ride height), but it also ride a lot quieter and nicer without the torque arm insert.

Though i feel like the insert did something, the shifts while pushing it used to feel strong, now they feel smoother, can be in mind though!

Damping set at 8 front/12 rear...might stiffen it a bit more for fun..also sprayed all threads with white lithium grease.

Next is tires, probably Yokohama AD08s

~~14th February '12~~

Lowered the car a bit more in the front..updated my APR tune to V1.2...dealer replaced weak rain tray seal and scuffed shifter assembly under warranty.

^ Mine in the middle

Full shoot: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33975

~~2nd May '12~~

Installed my replacement Pipercross foam cone, this is after a year of usage in desert atmosphere

Got that CF waxed and bolted on everything tightly...love this intake...rock solid in the car.

~~23rd June '12~~

Replaced my terribly worn out tires with Conti sportContact 3, wheel balance and done an alignment..no more steering shaking and now i have usable 1st and 2nd gears!

~~20nd July '12~~

Installed 2012 GTI SW badge & CF Paddles & Cargo blocks (yes on stock carpet, they fit!) & also got some turbo/downpipe gaskets and key fob logos for spare..

The paddles are SWEET...the car is so much more drivable and they look nice! (review)

~~4th Aug '12~~

Went to the shop today and replaced underbody left panel, which broke from my steep garage entrance, before it was fixed.

Also modified underbody panels for more clearance by installing metal brackets that hold the panels up.. A LOT more clearance now!

Also fixed front bumper gaps significantly and did a bit of touch up paint here and there.

*For my reference* 12v inlets fuse went off, replaced it with the rear wiper fuse

Here is some pictures of the underbody panels:

^^ got the fins cleaned up and trimmed a bit after capturing this photo

~~11th Aug '12~~

Installed Stoptech Street Performance pads (all around) along with new front OEM rotors and bedded them in properly (2 sets of 10s)

Car brakes a lot harder, even the slightest push on the pedal and you feel that braking response.

No more squeaks in low speeds too! The new rotors fixed that!

Also verified that the catalyst in my UR downpipe is toast (rattles around)...they are sending me a new downpipe with a resonated mid section this time..

I paid full amount, but they should refund me that cash (minus shipping) when i send back the damaged upper section..

~~21th Aug '12~~

Got some parts from ECS tuning (gloss black lugs caps, caps remover, keyfob buttons part, Protecta sockets, Ziza hatch LED replacement (mine is bad), air pressure gauge, downpipe front holder replacement)

Also refreshed my keyfob (new buttons part, new VW badge, new keyring and cleaned up inside/out)

~~22th Aug '12~~

Installed my 3SDM 0.01 18x8.5/ET45 with oem VW valve steps and lugs caps...I'm lovin' it!

Full Shoot: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44207

~~30th Aug '12~~

Done some painting [gloss black mirror caps - body matched grille stripes - rear VW is gloss black with body matched background] and debadged the rear RB styling GTI badge

~~6th Sept '12~~

Lowered the rear a bit and did an alignment...rear negative camber decreased from -2o to -1o30'

Now this is the fitment i wanted ;)

Before:

After:

Finishing result:

~~8th October '12~~

Installed R style side skirts and painted the rear diffuser gloss black

~~1st December '12~~

Got my roof wrapped in gloss black

~~27th Jan '13~~

Installed my replacement Pipercross foam cone, this is after 9 months of usage

Got that CF waxed and bolted on everything tightly...love this intake...rock solid in the car.

~~28th Jan '13~~

Gloss black grille stripes.

~~6h Feb '13~~

Got za white auto fixed up....

Removed couple annoying dents..

Did a shoot: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1033579#post1033579

~~10th Feb '13~~

Got a full detail done (clay, polish, wax, sealant) and interior too. The paint looks much better!

~~11th Feb '13~~

Installed my Bold-Sport Osram LEDs in the headlights and tail lights (no errors)

~~10th Mar '13~~

Wrapped the reflectors in gloss black vinyl

And did a shoot: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55812

~~5th May '13~~

Wrapped the front lip in gloss black (to match the roof, front valance, grille and mirror caps)

~~6th June '13~~

Got my custom APR fender decal done

~~7th July '13~~

My biggest Modification ever.

Installed APR K04 kit, APR tune and Carbonio stg1 intake to replace my carbonSpeed one. Oil and coolant replacement (G13:distilled water - 2:3 mix) along with a new oil filter.

So far, only drove it in super hot weather and v2.0 (updated tomorrow), yet it's still surprisingly fast and the spooling noise is so engaging. More driving is needed!

The install was done at a previous VW/Audi dealer with my supervision and hands..I have contributed in every step, makes me happy and confident the install went well.

R8 coils and plugs should be here in couple days.

~~11th July '13~~

Installed R8 coil packs and NGK spark plugs. No more misfires, car runs super smooth.

The car used to misfire multiple times in a row (like little farts) in 2nd and 3rd. All fixed.

Noted: After draining the coolant and filling with (G13:distilled water - 2:3 mix) the fans never turn on! Also with Castrol Edge, my oil temps drop down very quickly. My oil temp used to go up very easily before and the fans would turn on for 3mins almost EVERY TIME I shut down the engine. This all isn't in my head, my buddies, who own a stage 1 GTI and stage 1 R noticed too.

~~27th July '13~~

After K04, I noticed that I am not feeling comfortable pushing the car around corners, the front tires tend to rub the fenders on hard corners and dips mid corner (common here), so until I order a rolling tool from the US, the car is raised 1/4" all around

Before : rear-24.75@front-24.5
After : rear-25"@front-24.75"

Oh and it's debadged again

Engine cover on with new VW emblem

~~3rd August '13~~

The P3 gauge wasn't showing correct boost levels after k04, so went ahead and installed their boost tap along with Forge boost tap. Hose is run in the battery channel and the inline filter is in the fuse box along with the boost sensor and gauge control module. I think the install was very neat!

Values look spot on, didn't get to drive it enough!

~~31th August '13~~

Installed SuperPro ALK (Anti Lift Kit) and TyrolSport subframe stiffing. Finished it off with a wheel alignment and scheduled tire rotation.

The car rotates a lot better and has more traction getting out of turns. No more clunking. Far less body roll and camber/caster look good now!

~~3rd Sept. '13~~

Installed my R-style black headlights with clear 3M film and slightly tinted the fog lights. Also APR decal is off!

Loving the new aggressive look!

PS the quality on these headlights is remarkable!

~~7th Sept. '13~~

Installed my INA engineering oil cooler kit [Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate, Setrab 19row core, 034 hose separators)

The oil temp is a lot lower than before. Probably 20C/68F lower. Coolant also doesn't reach 100C/212F anymore. Very nice and stable.

Issue is whine noise in lower rpms along with some vibration. Will be looking into this.

Also replaced the horns, while I was at it, since I had issues with high tone.

Found out my radiator was slightly leaking. Will have to get that replaced.

~~19th Oct. '13~~

Dipped my wheels matte black for a change.

>-~~ Continue The Build Here ~~-<

Last edited:

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
I will never complain again about the difficulty of getting parts at fair prices for Canada again. You must be a pretty patient soul. Car looks good!

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Wow and then WOW! I am always really impressed at these posts!

Great looking build! What made you switch to the GTI from the Type R?

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I will never complain again about the difficulty of getting parts at fair prices for Canada again. You must be a pretty patient soul. Car looks good!

It was harder at first, took few trial and error to completely understand ordering online and what comes with it, now i feel more confident paying for more expensive stuff online, but it's definitely MUCH easier for you guys haha!

Thank you!

Wow and then WOW! I am always really impressed at these posts!

Great looking build! What made you switch to the GTI from the Type R?

Thanks man! I still have a lot in mind, the ECU chip and DP will start everything i am sure!!

It wasn't a Type R, but i moved on because i needed something more comfortable, faster and has a lot of potential, was looking for a clean Evo x, couldn't find one until the day i was decided on a GTI, i though about it a lot and did the correct decision! no car can be more balanced than this!

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Yup yup seems like a cool gadget, couldn't resist a decent price from a member who takes care of his car apparently and no 3 weeks wait!!

PS it should be here on saturday, though i won't be able to test it without my ECU...only install it and check out it's beauty!

APdubbin

Ready to race!
Not a bad looking Honda man:thumbsup:
But its a good thing you chose the VW route, definatley has the added potential over the Civic that you wanted..
Great looking candy white :w00t:

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
cool. its good to see the armrest made a home in your gti. i bet thats the best mod you have so far. i couldnt imagine driving without an armrest.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
What % is your tint ? my car is black and I'm looking for just a subtle tint, nothing too dark . I really like the look of yours :thumbsup:

Not sure man, it's dealer installed, but i will make sure to check the warranty paper and let you know!

Subbed, I like!

:thumbup:

cool. its good to see the armrest made a home in your gti. i bet thats the best mod you have so far. i couldnt imagine driving without an armrest.

I definitely love it, i can't believe i didn't have it before now and yes it's my favorite mod!! :D