GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0302 Misfire at Idle, ideas?

FriggenT1

Banned
Brand new NGK iridium at whatever gap they come set at. If plug gap was no good I would think there would be misfire when boosting. I've reset the code 50+ times it comes back within 2 minutes of idling, every time.

So you didn't test the gap though? Might want to just check that 1 against the others, you never know when 1 is out of wack.

1RMDave

Does the spark plug look wet and smell like gas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, if anything it looks lean but it really pretty much looks like the rest of them.
So you didn't test the gap though? Might want to just check that 1 against the others, you never know when 1 is out of wack.
I will try checking it tomorrow, i have a plug gapper on my key chain.

1RMDave

Just wanted to update this for anyone who finds this looking for help. The baffle in the valve cover that is right under the oil filler cap came loose and fell into the valve cover, getting tangled up the the exhaust valve spring. I will be removing the valve cover/cam girdle tonight to inspect and remove debris. I will also replace the timing chain tensioner while I am in there.

1RMDave

More updates
Removed the cam girdle and cams, found 2 ruined roller rockers and some wear on the exhaust cam. Will be replacing the rockers for sure, possibly the cam also.