GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0 TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Failure Analysis

GoddyB

Passed Driver's Ed
Good thread!
Just curious, has anyone else ever looked into why the tensioners fail? Do they all fail because of the teeth of the ratcheting mechanism disintegrating?

There's a clip inside the ratcheting mechanism which holds the teeth section out which breaks causing it to lose tension on the chain

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Currently getting my tensioner replaced as preventative maintenance at 119k miles. Tough $1k+ pill to swallow, but I will post pictures of any wear on the replaced tensioner once my car is ready. Will be interesting to compare to a pre-failure tensioner to OP's failed one.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Following up on this:

Timing chain tensioner rev 06H was replaced with rev 06K. Old tensioner teeth definitely did not have as much wear as OP's, but it did look like the tips of the teeth were somewhat rounded over or flattened at the top. Retaining spring did have some visible grooves from wear, but not as advanced as OP's. I don't have a microscope to post the detail, and I also don't know what brand new teeth on the 06H revision in my vehicle had, so it is inconclusive. Mileage 119,000 and oil changes at dealer every 7-10k miles, so there must be some other kind of abnormal operating condition or manufacturing/assembly defect that can cause accelerated wear of the tensioner. If I had to guess, I doubt my tensioner would have failed within the next 100k miles from wear alone, although it is always possible that the retaining spring could come loose, which is one failure mode.

What the tech did find though was that the cam adjuster bridge/bracket (06H-103-144-J) (VVT related) had a perforated oil screen. This part is prone to perforations or being dislodged, and usually results in damage to the VVT control valve. Mine fortunately didn't appear to cause major havoc, but the bracket and valve were replaced anyways with revised versions.

Dealership also replaced the timing chain itself, which I hadn't asked for, so they comped it for me. I also had carbon cleaning and 120k mile service done, so it was a pretty massive bill.

With all of that, I did notice that there is no longer a whine from the engine, so it is possible that something they replaced was causing a whine.

Also, between the carbon cleaning and the tensioner/chain/VVT work and DSG service, the car behaves much smoothly than it did before, no strange hesitations or jerkiness.

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Following up on this:

What the tech did find though was that the cam adjuster bridge/bracket (06H-103-144-J) (VVT related) had a perforated oil screen. This part is prone to perforations or being dislodged, and usually results in damage to the VVT control valve. Mine fortunately didn't appear to cause major havoc, but the bracket and valve were replaced anyways with revised versions.

I have heard of a few isolated failures of the cam bridge on the TSI engine. This is not something I would consider to be a normal wear part of an engine. Curious how wide spread this issue is.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I have heard of a few isolated failures of the cam bridge on the TSI engine. This is not something I would consider to be a normal wear part of an engine. Curious how wide spread this issue is.

Apparently it is common enough that there is a TSB for it. That's one reason why the tech knew to look for it while he was in there.

resilientsoma

Go Kart Champion
Still waiting for the recall hahaha. Have a 4900 receipt thanks to vw engineers.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RMJSix

My wife's 2010 Jetta stalled while she was driving it several weeks ago. Dealership diagnosed it as a failed timing chain tensioner and quoted me over $7,000 in repairs. Three weeks of arguing with VW Customer Care resulted in them offering ZERO assistance. Still waiting on a response from the dealer.

I've seen (3) different class action lawsuits filed in federal court in New Jersey. I've reached out to the attorneys for more information but it's my opinion that class actions only make money for the lawyers. The best outcome is for a recall to be issued.

Please, anyone that has experienced this problem, file a report with the NHSTB at the following link: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

If customers do not take the time to file reports, the NHSTB will not advance any of their investigations.

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
My wife's 2010 Jetta stalled while she was driving it several weeks ago. Dealership diagnosed it as a failed timing chain tensioner and quoted me over $7,000 in repairs. Three weeks of arguing with VW Customer Care resulted in them offering ZERO assistance. Still waiting on a response from the dealer.

I've seen (3) different class action lawsuits filed in federal court in New Jersey. I've reached out to the attorneys for more information but it's my opinion that class actions only make money for the lawyers. The best outcome is for a recall to be issued.

Please, anyone that has experienced this problem, file a report with the NHSTB at the following link: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

If customers do not take the time to file reports, the NHSTB will not advance any of their investigations.

I would think that filing reports do work from my experience with a 2009 Factory JCW MINI. MINI has mailed out settlement payment schedules for parts & labor for water pumps, fuel pumps and timing chain tensioners and chain assemblies and engine replacements so far.

I sold my Mini before any issues caused me any out of pocket costs but I was aware of the possible problems and sold my MINI because of it but the MINI dealers were just like VW dealers until the class action suits one by one went against MINI.

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
A lot of people have filed reports over ABS module failure in the MKV TSI cars too, theres gotta be at least 100 complaints but nothings come of it so far.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion

I've removed A LOT of TSI cam bridges, and ALL of them have had a blown out screen. Doesn't matter the version, doesn't matter the mileage, none of them have had it.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I've removed A LOT of TSI cam bridges, and ALL of them have had a blown out screen. Doesn't matter the version, doesn't matter the mileage, none of them have had it.
Are there any particular reasons the screens are being perforated and blown out? Also, I'm guessing there's no way to check this without disassembling?
And what are the symptoms that are caused by cam bridge failure? This one is new to me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Are there any particular reasons the screens are being perforated and blown out? Also, I'm guessing there's no way to check this without disassembling?
And what are the symptoms that are caused by cam bridge failure? This one is new to me.

Usually nothing. I find them while updating tensioners or chains. Usually just put them back in with the blown screen now, as I've tried putting a new one on my own vehicle and checking it months later the screen is just gone again.

Worst case it will either mess up the cam adjuster or get stuck in one of the balance shaft oil holes and cause seizure, but I've only heard of those things happening and have never actually seen it myself. Most times it probably just comes out with an oil change.

EDIT: Missed part of your question. It's just a tiny metal screen. Too high RPM when the oil is still thick and cold could cause pressure to build up there, or if there is any particles or debris in your oil it will get backed up there and pushing the screen out. You can remove the upper timing cover and pull the bridge off fairly easily. But there is really no reason to check it. Either it is there or not and it has caused a problem or not. Not really any in between.

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Usually nothing. I find them while updating tensioners or chains. Usually just put them back in with the blown screen now, as I've tried putting a new one on my own vehicle and checking it months later the screen is just gone again.

Worst case it will either mess up the cam adjuster or get stuck in one of the balance shaft oil holes and cause seizure, but I've only heard of those things happening and have never actually seen it myself. Most times it probably just comes out with an oil change.

EDIT: Missed part of your question. It's just a tiny metal screen. Too high RPM when the oil is still thick and cold could cause pressure to build up there, or if there is any particles or debris in your oil it will get backed up there and pushing the screen out. You can remove the upper timing cover and pull the bridge off fairly easily. But there is really no reason to check it. Either it is there or not and it has caused a problem or not. Not really any in between.
Sorry I'm just now seeing your reply. Thanks for the response. I was just trying to figure out if there's anything preventative I could do on the cam bridge screen, doesn't sound like there is. Although it's a little unnerving to know that a metal screen could potentially be floating around somewhere. [emoji52]