GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tony's Black GTI

St3ph3nsvw12GTI

Ready to race!
Great, thanks! I have the Dynaudio system. Its ok, but missing that bass output. I might look into getting an eonon unit. I have the touch screen w/out Nav....forget the part # but I think it has two audio outputs on the back. I like your amp setup as well. Simple & hidden. I was thinking about doing the same when I first got the car.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Great, thanks! I have the Dynaudio system. Its ok, but missing that bass output. I might look into getting an eonon unit. I have the touch screen w/out Nav....forget the part # but I think it has two audio outputs on the back. I like your amp setup as well. Simple & hidden. I was thinking about doing the same when I first got the car.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've seen the Eonon unit and briefly considered buying it myself. Definitely check out the thread I linked to. There's very good info about adding a sub to the Dynaudio system and keeping it clean & underfloor using the uberstealth box.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I finally tackled a bunch of cosmetic things on the front end. Most importantly, I got the custom golf grille installed after paint. I think It looks great. My painting skills are not exactly refined so it’s not perfect but I’m very happy with it for my first shot at custom “body work”. Let me know what you think! Other things:
  • Clear Lamin-x on newly polished fog lights

• LED Fog lights installed (plus ballasts & resistors). I’ll update with my opinions and some night pictures/comparison shots.

• Color matched vinyl on side markers (3M 1080 G212 Gloss Black Metallic)
I removed the side marker bulbs and the car didn't throw a bulb-out light. I'm assuming this is due to the coding I did for either the LED tails or LED city lights. No bulb-out light for the fogs either, thanks to the resistors.

To complete the look I purchased a Golf R grille from One Perfect Dose.

Lastly, I picked up a new set of component speakers to replace the weak rear coaxials I currently have installed. They’re the same speakers I have up front (Morel Maximo 6) and have been very happy with. I caught them on sale from Crutchfield so I couldn’t resist. Also grabbed some more sound deadener and some non-hardening clay to add mass to all 4 doors. I’m getting some pretty bad vibrations in the inner door panels since I have pretty large speakers in each door. I’m waiting for some decent weather to pull all the doors apart since that’s not my favorite thing to do. Picked up a new inline filter as well to try to get rid of the “thump” I get from the amp on startup and the [ever so slight] alternator whine.

Last edited:

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Update with LED fog pics: as you can see, the color temperature is not *quite* a perfect match to the headlights but it's damn close.

Here's the stock fogs as a comparison:

The light output with these things is crazy. Great, bright white light. Here's a few pictures of the beam pattern. The only lights on in these pics are the tiny city lights and the fog lights. They're basically another set of low beams. Easily ten times as much light, if not more, than stock.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i just learned the other day how much of a b**** it is to take the grille out of the bumper. hooooly shit.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
very nice build buddy

I appreciate it! The car is slowly getting to where I want it to be.

i just learned the other day how much of a b**** it is to take the grille out of the bumper. hooooly shit.

Hahaha oh yes, it is. I had it in and out multiple times for test fits, etc during this project. The first time took me fooooorrrever to figure out what I was doing and to "break in" all of the plastic clips. After they have been wiggled a few times it only takes 10 mins to get all the pieces apart. The first time must have taken me 2 hours though! There is no writeup on how to take it apart so I took pictures of the process but haven't had time to put it together yet. I figured maybe it will keep someone in the future from suffering through the pain I did :D

Last edited:

Pabloco

Passed Driver's Ed
That was a great thread of mods. You've got a real sweet-looking ride there and should be proud of all that you've done. I might try an intercooler in future. Thanks for taking the time to share all of it.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I've got a few small updates. I pulled all of my door panels off to:
-Prevent vibrations by adding sound deadening & non-hardening modeling clay
-Install the new rear Morel Maximo 6 component speakers

I didn't get many pictures since a lot of this work was done outside as it was getting dark. Here's the front door & front speaker with deadening & clay added. I ended up adding 6lbs of clay between the four doors! Not the prettiest but the effects were fantastic. Adding 2 layers of deadening to the interior of the thin plastic on the door pocket was also critical. All four doors got this treatment and the new speakers sound absolutely fantastic. Vibrations are almost completely quelled. No pictures of the rear speakers but they went in easily with some modification to my previously fabricated speaker rings.

I also cleaned and oiled the air filter for the first time since I installed it at 68k miles. So it's been on the car for 20k. It was horrendously dirty and I definitely noticed a performance increase when I put the clean filter back on. Oops, now I know better :p. Clean filter:

An oil change and new ECS magnetic drain plug. I've seen some complaints about this plug but it seems solid to me.

Lastly, I picked up an RAI catted downpipe from local forum member GoodTimesIndeed. Thanks again man, it was nice to meet you! I've got a downpipe install kit, new exhaust clamp, Vibrant J spacer, and a few other install accessories coming in the mail. I'm planning on putting the downpipe on but waiting to go stage 2 until I upgrade my clutch.

Last edited:

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Was cool meeting you as well.

Had I known that you wanted an ECS magnetic plug I would have given you the one that I have. It's literally new, but always seemed to drip for some reason.

That downpipe will probably trigger a CEL if you stay stage 1 with it, especially if CBFA. Granted it will only be temporary but just saying. Stage 2 has a little less torque down low so it might actually be easier on your clutch.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Was cool meeting you as well.

Had I known that you wanted an ECS magnetic plug I would have given you the one that I have. It's literally new, but always seemed to drip for some reason.

That downpipe will probably trigger a CEL if you stay stage 1 with it, especially if CBFA. Granted it will only be temporary but just saying. Stage 2 has a little less torque down low so it might actually be easier on your clutch.

I've had the drain plug for awhile and just got around to installing it. I'll keep an eye out for drips. Thanks for the offer though.

I know the downpipe will throw a CEL but I figured I'd take this as a chance to mess around with the spacer setup before my next emissions are due in 2 years. There's a chance I'll end up going stage 2 before I get a new clutch anyways because I'm impatient :D. Especially if I keep having issues with throwing CEL's.

Last edited: