GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Key Fob Issues

nemke

I seem to be having issues with my key fob. It's draining the key fob battery every 2 - 3 days. I have replaced the battery twice now in the last week. Is this a defective key fob or is something else? I have heard that it the key communicates with the car if its too close and it might drain the battery?

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Sounds like a fob issue.. might want to head into the dealer and see what they say..

Unfortunately those are pricey

nemke

Thanks

Went to the dealer yesterday and was told that they would just replace the fob. $350 CAD with the programming.

Filed a complaint to VW Canada since my warranty is gone as of last Feb, just to see if they will do something for me.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Check ebay, i had an issue with a fob on my 2004 avalanche, Chevy wanted a lot of money, but the mechanic told me to check ebay. I had an extended warranty and the warranty company replaced it and took care of the programing.

I never checked ebay but you might want to do that if VW Canada doesn't help you.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Which key do you have? There are a couple of types depending on year. If it's the same as the one I have the immobiliser chip and key part separate from the remote control part, this means you can just add your key part to a new remote part (which I presume would be the faulty part) and programme just the remote which is far easier to do than the immobiliser,

This is the type I have:
With light middle right

This is the newer type:
With light top right

I'm not sure how the newer type is built so not sure if it can be split in two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nemke

Newer type. VW wouldnt budge. Had to buy a whole new FOB and program. Problem solved $400 later.

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
My understanding is that the actual key is the same on all of the cars and that the chip is what differentiates. If that's the case a person should be able to buy a used key/fob and have it programmed.

2010 GTI 6mt, Autobahn, APR Stage 1 tune, Freakishly Clean

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
My understanding is that the actual key is the same on all of the cars and that the chip is what differentiates. If that's the case a person should be able to buy a used key/fob and have it programmed.

Yes and no! On the older type key pictured above the key can be split in two with one half housing the chip and key blade and the other housing the remote electronics and battery, in this case you can continue to use the current immobiliser chip/key blade with a new remote part (or vise versa), I've even removed the chip from old keys in the past and put them in new housings when refurbing the old worn key fob, its easier to add a new remote as it can just be added where as with the immobiliser chip you must wipe all chips and re assign all of them old and new! You can programme a used key but it's a pain in the arse! It causes further problems with any other keys you may have as well as the immobiliser/alarm!, the newer key types are a bit different but you should still be able to perform surgery and remove the chip and put it in the new key thus removing the need to program the immobiliser and just leaves the remote needing coding.

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
Thanks for the clarification. The last thing I want to do is offer poor advice. :)

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the clarification. The last thing I want to do is offer poor advice. :)

You haven't given poor advice! All comments make up the bigger picture and help drive the discussion forward. [emoji106]