GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Oil/Fluid Change - Anything to look out for?

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
I didn't test the fluid temp. I just filled until it started to come out from the drain piece and I let it dribble and stop. Been going hard for the last 17k miles..

I don't recommend not doing it, I just didn't personally.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I honestly felt like my car was never going to stop spitting oil, so I cut it off after about 10s or so. I'd rather have a little extra fluid than not enough.

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
I looked everywhere, and I'm not sure where the Plac video is. Can someone link it here for me?

I don't know if plac is an actual user, or if that is what it says when someone is banned since I see it pop up all the time. I just did this service a little while ago and I used this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhE19GCXlvA

It is very good, completely step by step. The only thing I will say that you have to watch out for is the transmission temp. If you are not doing this after the car has had a very long time to cool off, you will already be at or above the temp you want to be at when you drain the excess. It seems like the transmission take an extremely long time to cool down. So it is almost better to do this after the car has sat over night.

Johnstephard250

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know if plac is an actual user, or if that is what it says when someone is banned since I see it pop up all the time. I just did this service a little while ago and I used this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhE19GCXlvA

It is very good, completely step by step. The only thing I will say that you have to watch out for is the transmission temp. If you are not doing this after the car has had a very long time to cool off, you will already be at or above the temp you want to be at when you drain the excess. It seems like the transmission take an extremely long time to cool down. So it is almost better to do this after the car has sat over night.

Thanks, that was fast!
I was going to go over to someone else's house to do it though... Would you recommend that I don't drain out any fluid and just put in however much I took out if the fluid is going to be too hot and all come out?

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
Thanks, that was fast!
I was going to go over to someone else's house to do it though... Would you recommend that I don't drain out any fluid and just put in however much I took out if the fluid is going to be too hot and all come out?

I would drain some, but wait for a bit if you can. It will be pretty warm, but if you don't wait for it to stop flowing entirely, just wait until it slows to a trickle. That way you may be slightly over filled, but not terribly.

Phur

Autocross Champion
So where would be the best place to check temp with a laser gun style thermometer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markus037

Ready to race!
i just did the procedure in the deutche auto parts video. 2600 miles later no issues. you will feel an immediate improvement in the way the car shifts.