GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Engine on GTI at 40k miles

Coogie

Ready to race!
I had my timing chain tensioner go bad. Had it towed, but there was still damage when they looked in oil pan and saw chunks of metal.

New engine was provided by VW free of charge. The part number is 06J-100-038-DX.

I was also told they replaced the turbo too.

Is there a break-in period on it?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
wow.....that's absolutely crazy. Was it a boxed engine? absolutely there's a break in period and i think (folks will chime in if im incorrect) your first couple of oil changes should be done fairly close together to help seat the seals and remove any other crap in there. you should also go easy on the turbo... don't hammer it for at least 100-200 miles i think...

edit: found this on the web....i'm sure you'll find more

http://www.aircooled.net/vw-engine-break-in-procedure/

Coogie

Ready to race!
I know the dealer technician drove it for 9 miles to make sure no leaking occurred. No oil on garage floor overnight after driving it home 15 miles, mostly highway. All those steps in that article about lubricating parts, running at certain RPMs for 15 minutes, I have no way of knowing if they did those steps if they were necessary. I can ask them about needing oil changes.

Interested to see what others have to say too.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
PLENTY of threads on here regarding break in info for these engines if you google it. Basically drive it normally and dont beat on it. Try to keep rpms under 3k for the first 1k miles. Most importantly, dont worry and enjoy the new engine. The work should be covered for 1 year from the dealership anyway.

GTI_Fast_Guy

Passed Driver's Ed
same thing happened to me at 46k... dealer installed new engine (i had extended warranty:happyanim:) I have about 2k miles on her now.. Just driving normal nothing crazy... Final bill was 7200! Without warranty would have been painful! Nice having a new engine though..

Coogie

Ready to race!
same thing happened to me at 46k... dealer installed new engine (i had extended warranty:happyanim:) I have about 2k miles on her now.. Just driving normal nothing crazy... Final bill was 7200! Without warranty would have been painful! Nice having a new engine though..

Yeah I noticed improved performance actually! I'm not sure what the final bill was, but I'm guessing at least 10k after labor, parts, and taxes.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
tune it

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed

Azninvasion542

Ready to race!
mine went at exactly at 40k too. Except they didnt replace my turbo at first and they also didnt clean out the oil journals and 2 days after i got the car back the turbo blew so i brought it back and they gave me a new one.