GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic intake with Cobb tune?

Jimbosantos96

Passed Driver's Ed
What's up guys! I currently have the unitronic intake, and a high flow Arm Motorsports downpipe to get ready for stage 2 on whichever tune I choose.

Anyways, I was originally planning to get APR, until I noticed how much more money I'll save with the Cobb AP. I've heard that the stage 2 with Cobb required their own intake and downpipe.. Is that really true? Or it really isn't necessary. Anyone running the same intake with Cobb tune? I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks fellas!

Mchandler6

Passed Driver's Ed
No longer necessary. Cobb put out Off the Shelf tunes for aftermarket intakes that use the OEM MAF.housing. I am currently running the ECS Luft-Technik intake with Cobb Stage 1+ tune. No issues or knock.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
No longer necessary. Cobb put out Off the Shelf tunes for aftermarket intakes that use the OEM MAF.housing. I am currently running the ECS Luft-Technik intake with Cobb Stage 1+ tune. No issues or knock.
This they have "stock maf" tunes now.

But you should really look into getting a pro-tune or ETune you will be a lot happier compared to the off the shelf tune Cobb provides.

Stratified is doing a sale where they will give their basic flash tune for free with the purchase of the Cobb Access port.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=209_219&products_id=677

Jimbosantos96

Passed Driver's Ed

Jimbosantos96

Passed Driver's Ed
With the Cobb AP, I save money by not having to pay for a gauge and and upgrade from stage 1 to 2 right? I could just download the profile?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
How much do those cost? Kinda new with stuff like tuning lol
well i linked you there website... so that has their pricing

With the Cobb AP, I save money by not having to pay for a gauge and and upgrade from stage 1 to 2 right? I could just download the profile?
it uses the ECU to display gauges so boost may be a little inconsistent the best way to measure boost is with a mechanical gauge tapped in.
Yes for their maps that come with the Accessport you just download them from their website/program and then flash your car using the accessport.
The cobb off the shelf tunes(OTS) comes with stage 1, stage 1 high boost, and stage 2 (with a few sub maps in between that are like fuel specific(91 vs 93) and cobb intake vs stock style intake maps.

If you get a stratified or pro tune they make the tune based on your exact car with the mods on it at that time... if you change mods like adding a downpipe to go stage 2 they will have to rework the file a bit to add it in... i think stratified charges $50 to tweak the file.

Jimbosantos96

Passed Driver's Ed
well i linked you there website... so that has their pricing

it uses the ECU to display gauges so boost may be a little inconsistent the best way to measure boost is with a mechanical gauge tapped in.
Yes for their maps that come with the Accessport you just download them from their website/program and then flash your car using the accessport.
The cobb off the shelf tunes(OTS) comes with stage 1, stage 1 high boost, and stage 2 (with a few sub maps in between that are like fuel specific(91 vs 93) and cobb intake vs stock style intake maps.

If you get a stratified or pro tune they make the tune based on your exact car with the mods on it at that time... if you change mods like adding a downpipe to go stage 2 they will have to rework the file a bit to add it in... i think stratified charges $50 to tweak the file.

I meant with the protune or Etune, how much are they usually? I'm buying my AP there at stratified forsure but for later mods and stuff, I could just take it to a tuner around town and they could use the AP that easy?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I meant with the protune or Etune, how much are they usually? I'm buying my AP there at stratified forsure but for later mods and stuff, I could just take it to a tuner around town and they could use the AP that easy?
as long as they have cobb they can tune it. You need cobbs tuner program to tune/tweak the files but any cobb dealer can use it.

i think a completly custom build tune is like ~$200 or so... that where they do a bunch of data logging with you to get your car dialed in 100% and do all the tuning from the ground up specific to your car, your gas, your environment etc... it would be a 100% exclusive tune as no one else would have it.

Some tuners also offer more basic "flash files" which you can think of like similar to unitronic, APR, Giac etc... just a somewhat general file to should work well for everyone that has more power over the regular cobb tune.

Jimbosantos96

Passed Driver's Ed
as long as they have cobb they can tune it. You need cobbs tuner program to tune/tweak the files but any cobb dealer can use it.

i think a completly custom build tune is like ~$200 or so... that where they do a bunch of data logging with you to get your car dialed in 100% and do all the tuning from the ground up specific to your car, your gas, your environment etc... it would be a 100% exclusive tune as no one else would have it.

Some tuners also offer more basic "flash files" which you can think of like similar to unitronic, APR, Giac etc... just a somewhat general file to should work well for everyone that has more power over the regular cobb tune.

If it's 200, that's pretty damn nice imo! Thanks for all the info!