GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any comparisons for DWS06 vs A/S3+?

phuccer1

Ready to race!
I'm going to need new tires soon and I'm having trouble deciding between DWS06 and A/S 3+. I have found individual reviews for them but none comparing the two since they are fairly newer? I've only found comparisons between DWS06 and the A/S3.

From what I've read, the new A/S3+ are supposed to a bit better in snow in comparison to the A/S3, and the DWS06 is supposed to have a bit of a stiffer sidewall compared to the past DWS.

The price difference is about $80 at my local tire shop. About $670 for DWS06 and $750 for the A/S3+ mounted and balanced. I live in Southern California and get all seasons for rain + snowboarding trips in the winter. I'd prefer all seasons over summer due to cost and better tread life.

I'm currently running DWS, but wanted to give the A/S3+ a try. Based on the reviews I've read, I'm thinking that the Michellins will have better traction/grip then the Continentals but the Continentals might last longer. Do you guys think the Michellins are worth the extra $80?

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I was literally trolling tirerack on these exact options this evening.

Subscribing for info if anyone has it. I'm also debating on going 235-40-18 as my DG springs should allow it and I could use a little more tire on the road.

I'm also on DWS older version right now and they've treated me well but it's time for new rubber.

gtikc

Passed Driver's Ed
I would say it depends on whether you want performance, or comfort. I have the DWS06 and honestly its closer to a grand touring tire than an ultra high performance tire. Its quiet and comfortable, good in snow and rain, but not ultra high performance worthy in they dry. (in my opnion). The sidewall is a bit firmer than the dws but it has a low level of grip. Easy to break traction or under-steer even in street driving. This actually can be fun sometimes as you can pull off a little power slide easier, but most often its understeer city.

I still enjoy the tire....but often find myself wanting something more aggressive, with better stability, quicker turn in, stiffer sidewall,and grip. This is supposed to be a performance car after all. So if your leaning more towards a more comfortable quiet ride try the DWS06, higher performance A/S 3+. I will be trying the A/s 3+ next.

added: Couple more things i thought of. I believe the DWS06 will get you longer tread life. I have had mine for close too two years and they are holding up very well. Im unsure about the A/S 3+ but the A/S 3 was notorious for not lasting very long.

Also I believe the DWS06 is a few pounds lighter than the Michelin's. I definitely noticed a difference in responsiveness after i had the DWS06 installed from my previous Continentals. Keep in mind im running 225/45/r17 on a 7.5 width, with the stock Denvers. If your running an 18 with a shorter sidewall, and possibly wider rim, you might get quicker response and better stability out of the smaller sidewalls.

I know that was a bit much, but hope it helps.

Last edited:

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Am I sacrificing any dry grip coming from DWS to the new DWS06?? This review is making me nervous but I imagine the DWS06 is similar is not better than the old DWS's...

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I would say it depends on whether you want performance, or comfort. I have the DWS06 and honestly its closer to a grand touring tire than an ultra high performance tire. Its quiet and comfortable, good in snow and rain, but not ultra high performance worthy in they dry. (in my opnion). The sidewall is a bit firmer than the dws but it has a low level of grip. Easy to break traction or under-steer even in street driving. This actually can be fun sometimes as you can pull off a little power slide easier, but most often its understeer city.

I still enjoy the tire....but often find myself wanting something more aggressive, with better stability, quicker turn in, stiffer sidewall,and grip. This is supposed to be a performance car after all. So if your leaning more towards a more comfortable quiet ride try the DWS06, higher performance A/S 3+. I will be trying the A/s 3+ next.

added: Couple more things i thought of. I believe the DWS06 will get you longer tread life. I have had mine for close too two years and they are holding up very well. Im unsure about the A/S 3+ but the A/S 3 was notorious for not lasting very long.

Also I believe the DWS06 is a few pounds lighter than the Michelin's. I definitely noticed a difference in responsiveness after i had the DWS06 installed from my previous Continentals. Keep in mind im running 225/45/r17 on a 7.5 width, with the stock Denvers. If your running an 18 with a shorter sidewall, and possibly wider rim, you might get quicker response and better stability out of the smaller sidewalls.

I know that was a bit much, but hope it helps.

I have DWS06's too and these are my exact feelings too. I got all 4 tires mounted and balanced with hazard insurance for $600 flat so that's something to consider Michelin's will always be more. That said this time around I'll be going with a summer tire.

gtikc

Passed Driver's Ed
TO DSGVW

"Am I sacrificing any dry grip coming from DWS to the new DWS06?? This review is making me nervous but I imagine the DWS06 is similar is not better than the old DWS's...?"

I don't believe you would be sacrificing grip with the DWS06 vs the DWS. If you were happy with the DWS, and are not looking for anything more aggressive, the DWS06 should work well for you.

It is by no means a constantly aggravating lack of grip, and probably has as much, or more than the DWS. Stiffer side walls as well..... It's just when you have a nice open road, and you start to really get on it in tighter corners. They loose grip and understeer sooner than I would like for and UHPAS tire(though it is progressive an predictable). In most normal situations the grip is just fine.

Depending hugely on your setup though, a lack of grip can actually sometimes be enjoyable. Since my previous post above, I had the damping on my rear Coilovers slightly stiffened (last weekend). I now find that i can slide the rear end in corners and the understeer is pretty much dialed out. instead of the front, the rear ended is breaking loose.

Especially in the rain its a blast. It's a smooth, progressive, controllable break away as well with the DWS06. I really don't have to be going excessively fast, or get myself into trouble to do it either. More grip does not always equal more fun. I don't track my car, so it's nice to get it feeling a bit more playful at streetable speeds. I hated when the DWS06 undesteered but the oversteer is :happyanim:

That said, i might still try the A/s 3+ next but they would be more difficult to get these mini slides I'm sure. I would like to try the slightly quicker response and feel, with added stability.......and grip. Though I'm really starting to enjoy my little oversteer slides......Undoubtedly the A/s 3+ is the more aggressive, performance oriented tire.

Last edited:

Erick666

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the A/S 3+ mounted to RSe05 wheels. Dry grip is not what I was hoping. Better than the stock tires I had on there, but still break loose fairly easily under fun acceleration. And that is just with APR stage 1 (93). Tread life is not looking good (don't have the details handy, but will try to get that info). Obviously, I knew I would be compromising with the all season, but I like having my *better* tires on for a longer period (early spring through late fall, rather than just summer here in Michigan). Honestly, I don't have a lot of tire experience to be able to compare. Maybe I am just too needy and will have to do summer tires. Decisions, decisions...