GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 03-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #757
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Polar FIS is really useful for me, I love data.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: Ryan Jacobs
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #758
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI 2Dr DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
Polar FIS is really useful for me, I love data.
Totally agree, love it! And thanks to your awesome review I have mine setup very similar to yours.
APR K04 / DP w/m injection / Custom Intake / Eurojet turboback / Neuspeed FMIC / IC sprayer / FSB-RSB / Endlinks / 034 Mounts / HPA 75A / AWE TOP / BSH TBP / ECS Catch Can / Solo Werks / Centric rotors / StopTech pads / Tyrolsport / Powerflex Bushings & A.L.K. / Stern Brace / Eurosport Strut Brace & Rear XB / TCR-II System / Misc Interior & Exterior Mods / Build Thread / My flickr
GoodTimesIndeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #759
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Driver

Since RockAuto was having a Wholesaler Closeout Parts sale I picked up a new Denso cabin air filter for $3.66. Not bad considering that I've never replaced mine and only cleaned it once.
APR K04 / DP w/m injection / Custom Intake / Eurojet turboback / Neuspeed FMIC / IC sprayer / FSB-RSB / Endlinks / 034 Mounts / HPA 75A / AWE TOP / BSH TBP / ECS Catch Can / Solo Werks / Centric rotors / StopTech pads / Tyrolsport / Powerflex Bushings & A.L.K. / Stern Brace / Eurosport Strut Brace & Rear XB / TCR-II System / Misc Interior & Exterior Mods / Build Thread / My flickr
Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #760
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Driver

Finally pulled the trigger on the Eurojet turboback exhaust (non-catted). Its so hard to get a true feel for the sound listening via the internet. Hopefully I won't regret this.

Also ordered new installation kit w/hanger.

These along with the PTP Turbo blanket and PTP Lava wrap for the downpipe should hopefully make for a nice setup.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #761
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Good lord awesome updates here. I've had a Eurojet tbe for about 3 years and still love it.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #762
Tony48
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI

When you get this installed I'd love to hear how it sounds
APR Stage 1 | K&N CAI | Koni Yellows | H&R Sport Springs | RAI 3" catted DP | Magnaflow CBE | Forge FMIC | Dieselgeek SS | ECS Boost Gauge | Depo LED Tails | Carbon Fiber OEM-style Lip | Custom Lower Grille | "R" Upper Grille | 5ch Amp/Morel speakers/10" JL Audio Sub |
Tony48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #763
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
Good lord awesome updates here. I've had a Eurojet tbe for about 3 years and still love it.
Glad to hear that you're still happy with your exhaust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post

When you get this installed I'd love to hear how it sounds
For sure! If you're still interested in my RAI downpipe let me know. Will hopefully have it ready to go within the next few weeks.

Also dates have been announced for the Loch Raven Reservoir Meets, first one is April 23rd.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #764
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Awesome stuff Justin!!! That is going to sound great.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #765
Tony48
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimesIndeed View Post
For sure! If you're still interested in my RAI downpipe let me know. Will hopefully have it ready to go within the next few weeks.

Also dates have been announced for the Loch Raven Reservoir Meets, first one is April 23rd.
I am still interested, give me a shout whenever you're ready to get rid of it.

Thanks for the update on the Loch Raven meets. I'm planning on attending the one in April.
APR Stage 1 | K&N CAI | Koni Yellows | H&R Sport Springs | RAI 3" catted DP | Magnaflow CBE | Forge FMIC | Dieselgeek SS | ECS Boost Gauge | Depo LED Tails | Carbon Fiber OEM-style Lip | Custom Lower Grille | "R" Upper Grille | 5ch Amp/Morel speakers/10" JL Audio Sub |
Tony48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #766
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Driver

Woohoo, the new exhaust is here!

Initial impressions right out of the box are good. Everything was packed well and the quality of the components feel great. The satin finish of the pipes make them look quite impressive and the weight of them gives a nice hefty feeling (.065" thick T304 stainless steel). The tips are gorgeous! I absolutely HATED the oem size tips. Can't wait to see how this all looks on the car!

Was so excited that I already took my old downpipe off.

Sort of wish that I would have done a sound clip of "before" but I didn't want to get everything all warmed up then have to work around hot pipes and such. As expected that last bolt was a b!tch to get off. The other 3 came off with a turn of a wrench. Come to realize that my can of PB Blaster was empty (or not spraying for some reason) so had to WD40 them.

Initially I thought that the slow-ass shipping from ECS was going to screw me over yet again since my new gasket w/hanger isn't due to be delivered until Monday (seriously ECS?!). Come to find out that a new gasket was included with the hardware.... BONUS! Now I'll be able to get everything on and just have to swap out the hanger when I get it.

Tomorrow I'm going to put the PTP turbo blanket on and see how far I get with the install. I already wrapped the new downpipe this eve to save myself some time and hassle. Never did a catback install before so I'm not exactly sure what I'm in for.

Hopefully will have it ready to run soon!
Old 03-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #767
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Driver

From this...
2017-03-25_11-23-06 by Justin N, on Flickr

To this...

Overall not a bad project. I was really impressed by how well the exhaust fit and went together.

I almost gave up on the PTP turbo blanket. I'm not proud of the quality of job that I did here, but its done. It was nearly impossible to install this as intended without ripping half the car apart but I made it work. Extra bonus is sitting at a redlight while everyone stares at the smoke pouring out from under your hood HAHA.

The downpipe went back on rather smoothly. I was able to reinstall all 4 nuts from underneath the car (yay for having long arms).

The tips could possibly need a minor tweak as one seems a bit lower than the others, but that might just be me being anal about it too LOL. Not sure how I would even fix it to be honest.

The sound is fantastic! Even my wife commented on it. Its throatier and lower tone but not loud. It has a nice even sound and consistency from low rpms to high. Maybe a "little" drone when off the throttle coasting/coming to a stop but I'm not going to complain given that its 3" and catless. At 60mph its nearly stock sounding... till you hit the gas again haha. I think between taking the underdrive pulley off and now going to the 3" I might have lost a little bottom end grunt, but it almost seems more linear now midrange and up top (could just be in my head though).

I think the value to dollar ratio with this exhaust is fantastic. You get a lot for a decent price.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #768
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Driver

So I decided to try a new product.

I saw it advertised on facebook (yes... seriously) and the product sounded interesting and results intrigued me so I thought I would give it a try. I'm not going to say that its the greatest thing since sliced bread but the results are interesting. I used it on every exterior surface, glass, rubber, trim, wheels, exhaust, the entire car. And....

Gotta say I think it looks pretty damn good. I think I was breaking a few necks as I was out driving around a little while ago LOL. I use Chemical Guys products almost exclusively but I never seen water bead up like it does with this stuff. I will be doing a road trip this weekend and its supposed to rain a good bit tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how the new coating performs.

Also did a quick cold start, step down video of the Eurojet exhaust.

I absolutely LOVE this setup! I used to think my car sounded good before, but now it actually "sounds" like a sports car and even makes it feel sportier too and no doubt gained more power up top.

EDIT: Had the car out on the interstate a few hours. The exhaust does have a little drone and can be a little loud at certain mph/rpm combinations. Im not complaining but to someone else out there who might want whisper quiet this probably isn't the exhaust for you.

Weird thing happened about 4hrs in. Bumped from 6th down to 4th for a gear pull and the car sort of hesitated up top for a moment and the CEL flashed a few times. My polar didn't show any misfire or anything. Not sure what that was all about.

Also had a bird bounce off my front lower valance. Looks like one of the pieces popped out a little meaning I think part of the grill got pushed in. Thinking I'll probably have to pull the bumper to fix it.

Last edited by GoodTimesIndeed; 04-01-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #769
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Driver

Little update, not much to really report. Since my wife and I decided our main focus is on home projects the car has pretty much been forgotten.

Still haven't got the side skirts painted, not even sure when that will likely happen.

Ever since installing my drivers side underseat tray I have wanted to get one for the passenger side. Found a used one on here the other day and pulled the trigger on it. Just installed it today. The underseat trays are a must have interior mod if you ask me.

Since the temps are near 90 and humid, I decided to finally fill up the meth tank and see how the tweaked setup runs. I went with a 60/40 mix ratio this time and just came back from a little cruise around. The car seems to pull well, especially in the top end. The longer I stayed in it the harder the car pulled. According to my flow gauge I still get a major spike when injection starts (needle pegs 1000) then it seems to settle in a bit. Not sure if I need to maybe adjust pump pressure down or what. I also seem to be getting some misfires once I come to a stop (noticeably cylinder 2). Not sure what thats all about. For how little I'll probably actually use it I'm not too concerned I guess.

The exhaust has gotten even better sounding now that it has been broken in a bit. Even get some little burbles now when off throttle and slowing down. Really like it!

Also went to my first meet here in MD a few weeks ago. It was small but some nice cars.

Don't think one person even looked at my car or asked me about it. Oh well, supposedly another one coming up this weekend that I might go to.

Last edited by GoodTimesIndeed; 05-18-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #770
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Car looks great Justin!
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote