GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got new APR K04 V3.0 tune? Post reviews in here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motodude310

Go Kart Champion
How much quicker are downshifts? V2 used to be sluggish on rev matching

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

It seems about the same to me, if not a little quicker. But honestly I haven't really paid attention to it. But I've been downshifting for corners without issue.

Vic@APR

Ready to race!
Which APR reps will be at FASTIVUS in May? (out here in CA...)

I shall see you out there :)

I'll try and be more vocal in this thread as well. Sorry the sale has been kicking my butt. I'm still working with some Mkv5 guys o assuring that we get them squared away! Keep the reviews coming and let me know if you need to request a box code

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

I'll try and be more vocal in this thread as well. Sorry the sale has been kicking my butt. I'm still working with some Mkv5 guys o assuring that we get them squared away! Keep the reviews coming and let me know if you need to request a box code

My box code was requested almost 2 weeks ago by Dave N. there, still nothing...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Ok, I'm sorry to keep posting, but the more I drive the new tune the more I like it. Is anything below 4k completely dead? Yes, yes it is. And like I said it is a bit disappointing.

:(

That being said I REALLY miss the mid range torque of the last file. V3 is definitely faster and should yield good results at the drag strip. But I honestly feel that for daily driving V2. was more fun because you didn't have to rev the crap out of it to get it to push you back in your seat. I'm definitely going to be more of a cop magnet when I get on it around town.

:(

Oh, you don't know what you're talking about--you don't have the tune.

Oh...wait...you do!!

Ok, you don't know how to use a gas pedal.

Oh...you do?

Well, something must be wrong because there are a couple guys here on the forum that insist there isn't a low rpm issue.

I mean, Gunkata can't be right. He's too smart and funny to know what he's talking about.

I just wish the fanboys would have a serious and realistic discussion here. These people talking about the loss of grunt down low aren't imagining it.

:laugh: :thumbsup:

james9120

Go Kart Champion

Any progression on the MKV status?

I want in on the no torque circle jerk :( do I need to erase all memories about driving V3 in order to do so?? LMK

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
I'll post a real review when I get time to play. In my normal commute I already noticed a few things and when I checked in here it seems others did too.

o Starting up, more vibration than normal. I have stiffer mounts, but this amplified with new tune. Some said lower idle --- I didn't think to not the RPM's but that "feels" right based on the vibration rates in my hands.

o First is smooth. More pedal travel, definitely more linear. I use M usually, not D, and M now feels more like D in that you need more foot and it's more linear. I like it better, especially in the rain and I imagine for autocross.

o Second starts to perk up. Even after 3000 you feel the sudden build and then at 4 it goes.

o In my normal uphill onramp where I do "carbon cleaning" every morning, I did a rolling 25 -> 80 by simply flooring it in 2nd then shifting up. WOW! I always get TCS blips there with the old tune. This time, clean delivered power throughout whole ramp, with the torque ramped up. Did it "feel" different? Hell yes! I'm used to the wheels spinning when I floor it in 2nd, so in that sense it "felt" dead. But then it ramped into the torque nicely and I was suddenly going way too fast. Even though I "like" modulating my foot and practicing that since not all cars will have this on them, I get the feeling that this will decrease 0-60 times since it can respond to spin faster than I can.

I'm not sure where the boost PSI was, I was too busy hanging on to look, but I know I haven't seen a single overboost red warning light on my AWE analog guage on V3 and and V2 it' happened all the time, especially getting on it in 5th at like 3K. It manages the boost a lot better and avoids these spikes and boost ringing as the PID goes over the old MAP's sensor range since it tried to ramp up too fast in the old tune (and hence the surge problem since the turbo built faster than the engine could swallow it). The controller definitely ramps boost more smoothly.

Anyway, it's a different animal. I'll play with it a little more and see where my boost is since that seems to be the only thing people care about. So far I like it.

nick n

Ready to race!

I want in on the no torque circle jerk :( do I need to erase all memories about driving V3 in order to do so?? LMK

So are all of these mkv issues related to mkv DSG tsi 's specifically?

swagger76

Ready to race!
yes I am, and I have ....somewhere in here :thumbsup:

Overall, I'm very happy with the tune -- there is no question your "butt-dyno" will tell you "this feels slower", at least in 1st/2nd to 4000rpm ....

but the overall (daily) drivability of the car is VASTLY improved IMO, with no more surging or torque SPIKES to thrash your trans or tires --- pulls and running jaunts with WOT are more..... "subtle" -- there is still breakneck speed, but it's so damn smooth that its easy to miss that your suddenly going 110 :D

D-mode, for us DSG types, is actually usable now -- I used to NEVER put it in D. But for simply driving around town, groceries, etc -- it feels much, much better.
S mode is :tweetz: of course --- somehow, it just SOUNDS meaner when you jump on it. And manushifting is still a blast

the torque management seems to work VERY, VERY well with DSG -- I can romp it off the line at stop lights with barely a tire squeal, yet still get some SWEET traction and speed.

some little neggles that have appeared and bug me,just a tad....
- NVH -- I had 034 street mounts on for a month before V3.0 went in, and they had settled in nicely. Suddenly, post V3.0 -- I have a return of NVH at idle, stoplights, etc . just a noticeable shudder, where I used to have none it seems :iono:
- my car idles just a SMIDGE lower than it used to ....was 900rpm's pre-V3.0, now it's 820/850ish....I know that's very little, but you DO notice and feel the difference.

i just wish my P3cars digital gauge was "working" properly , so I could truly see my boost #'s .... :cry:

edit: to be clear , I am VERY happy with this tune overall

This is 100% correct in every way!! I have a hpa 80 durometer puck. The nvh is back with a vengeance. The noise level of the exhaust is MUCH louder. I remember when I put in my tb exhaust when stage 2, I was setting off every car alarm in the joint. When went k04, the alarms stopped. Much more quiet. Now, they are going off again and then some!!! The dsg farts are much more violent now as well!! Sounds like the car are about 10 bean burritos the day before!! :) I'm very pleased with the tune. Would not go back to v2. BUT, I think they should think about upping the 2-4rpm boost a bit. Would make everyone extremely happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vic@APR

Ready to race!

All hands on deck. Working on this with the engineering guys. I will keep you guys in the loop.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
All hands on deck. Working on this with the engineering guys. I will keep you guys in the loop.

Is it safe to drive the car as it is now with V3?? Any harm to my DSG??

Status
Not open for further replies.