GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 MK6 vs S2000 RH/E

Chubby Ninja

Seasoned Vet
I just signed up today, but have been browsing through the forum for a little while now and just though I'd share an experience.

I saw there was another S2K thread, but my buddy got some daytime videos so I figured I'd start a new thread.

-MK6 GTI 6 speed manual, with intake/3" DP/exhaust/APR tuned

Running against:

-AP1 S2000 with a Megan header and test-pipe, and Buddy Club TI single exhaust. No intake or tune. Stock gearing.

20 roll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZJj0HeqKoU

40 roll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pX2m8iuPd0&feature=related

S2K misses 5th in that 40 run. GTI is solo, S2K has camera man.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
I was expecting better from the GTI than that. :(

P

plac

duh.... this would be the same S2k guy that posts on all these GTI forums.. nice first post.

kineticMKVI

Ready to race!

Chubby Ninja

Seasoned Vet
I was expecting better from the GTI than that. :(

:iono:

I was trying to find some driver error. But the only 'iffy' shifts I saw came from the S.

You can really see the different powerbands at work. Every time the GTI shifts, the S2K still has like 1,000 more rpm left and inches up a bit it seems.

A DSG looked like it may have been door to door maybe?

duh.... this would be the same S2k guy that posts on all these GTI forums.. nice first post.

I was reading the other S2K thread and figured I'd share an experience that just happened a couple days ago. What's wrong with my post? Simple, and to the point. And a couple daytime videos. :cool:

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
I just find it odd. My 350Z 07 was heavier, and about the same power with less TQ than APR Stage 1 not including those mods would kill a S2k. A Win is a win though.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
This is pretty close; I'd actually expect the S2K to be a bit further ahead to be honest, sounded like the S2K driver was in the wrong gear to start each race off.

Chubby Ninja

Seasoned Vet
I just find it odd. My 350Z 07 was heavier, and about the same power with less TQ than APR Stage 1 not including those mods would kill a S2k. A Win is a win though.

Ehh, dyno torque numbers don't really tell you much about speed. Just because one car has more torque then another, doesn't really tell you much, or who's faster when comparing different cars. If they all were the same car then sure, (weight, aero, gearing, etc) but where are they both making their torque? And does their torque curve suit their powerband is what's more important.

And an 07 350Z wouldn't exactly kill the S2000, like demolish it. It would beat it given they are both in stock form. But you're only talking about a couple tenths through the 1/4 with pretty good drivers. The HR Z's don't really have a big advantage on the S2K until they start getting close to triple digit speeds, and the Z gets room to stretch it's 'big powerful' legs in 4th and 5th. Where they will no doubt be too strong for the 210whp S2K, despite the S2K weighing a few hundred lbs less. Power/weight can only take you so far. And a Honda convertible is not going to have a very good top end when it's spotting the other car over 100ft/lbs. The crazy gearing ratios can help it out more down low by multiplying more torque to generate more power. But they become exposed up top and the Z's engine power shines.

Edit:Your HR Z dynoed similar to a stage 1 GTI? Isn't that like 230whp? HR Z's put down better numbers then that.

Last edited:

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
so what is that s2k making to the wheels with these mods?

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
I thought the APR Stage 1 put around 250 to the wheels? My HR did 255rwhp and 233tq stock. After my mods it did 293rwhp and 245tq. :)

Ehh, dyno torque numbers don't really tell you much about speed. Just because one car has more torque then another, doesn't really tell you much, or who's faster when comparing different cars. If they all were the same car then sure, (weight, aero, gearing, etc) but where are they both making their torque? And does their torque curve suit their powerband is what's more important.

And an 07 350Z wouldn't exactly kill the S2000, like demolish it. It would beat it given they are both in stock form. But you're only talking about a couple tenths through the 1/4 with pretty good drivers. The HR Z's don't really have a big advantage on the S2K until they start getting close to triple digit speeds, and the Z gets room to stretch it's 'big powerful' legs in 4th and 5th. Where they will no doubt be too strong for the 210whp S2K, despite the S2K weighing a few hundred lbs less. (I know all about it, I've owned two different VQ powered cars) Power/weight can only take you so far. And a Honda convertible is not going to have a very good top end when it's spotting the other car over 100ft/lbs. The crazy gearing ratios can help it out more down low by multiplying more torque to generate more power. But they become exposed up top and the Z's engine power shines.

Edit:Your HR Z dynoed similar to a stage 1 GTI? Isn't that like 230whp? HR Z's put down better numbers then that.

Chubby Ninja

Seasoned Vet
I thought the APR Stage 1 put around 250 to the wheels? My HR did 255rwhp and 233tq stock. After my mods it did 293rwhp and 245tq. :)

Pretty bad ass dude. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure. I though most stage 2 guys were closer to 245-255ish range to the "wheels". Whatever though. It's the street, and you know there's always different variables.

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
obviously something wrong here then?

a 205 whp car pulled a 250whp car? does gearing really make that much of a difference?