GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R or Audi TT mk2

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Cam follower isn't that big an issue. Just change it every 10k and you're fine...

See the problem is you don't know that. I did a ton of research on this because I was thinking about getting an R. VW never said "hey we messed up and the fsi has this problem so the cam follower should be changed every x miles". Everyone is just guessing what is best. Some threads say change every 10k some threads say don't change them until you see wear on them and then there is threads that say don't replace them at all because by replacing them prematurely you are putting more wear on other things just let warranty take care of it. No one has an answer that is 100% correct. Why deal with that to begin with? The only real solution to date is to take apart your camshaft and send it over to h2sport in Canada so they can upgrade it to a different style that won't wear as quick.

scyzoryk

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the DG springs on my GTI and would say that the TT is just as stiff (i think its a good thing). As far as noise is concerned, the TT is much quieter due to the greater amount of sound dampening and slightly smaller cabin.

The positives outweigh the negatives for me but a few gripes i have are

1) The rear seats are useless if you actually have legs. If you dont have legs then you're right at home.

2) The head clearance is a little low. Im 5'11" and i have to put the seat at its lowest setting (the seats are amazing btw; full leather and electronically adjustable and "Recaro like " proportions )

3) The headunit straight up sucks; no bluetooth streaming unless you buy an aftermarket adapter. But hey, it has NAV and Bluetooth calls at least [emoji106]
TT it is.

Double's Dub

Ready to race!

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Post back when you get one with said pics. TTS or just TT?

scyzoryk

Passed Driver's Ed
No need for TTS since I will be modding TT to 350hp anyway and I want manual tranny.
Any good forums for Mk2 TT? (Exept Vortex)...
S.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
See the problem is you don't know that. I did a ton of research on this because I was thinking about getting an R. VW never said "hey we messed up and the fsi has this problem so the cam follower should be changed every x miles". Everyone is just guessing what is best. Some threads say change every 10k some threads say don't change them until you see wear on them and then there is threads that say don't replace them at all because by replacing them prematurely you are putting more wear on other things just let warranty take care of it. No one has an answer that is 100% correct. Why deal with that to begin with? The only real solution to date is to take apart your camshaft and send it over to h2sport in Canada so they can upgrade it to a different style that won't wear as quick.

False. Replacing too soon is not a problem. Its the taters that wait until there IS wear on them that are doing it wrong. Replace proactively, before wear occurs and its a non issue.

These have been around in the US since late 05 as 06s. Replace cam follower every 10k miles on a car with a aftermarket HPFP, or 15-20k on stock cars, and you'll have no issues.

It's a $45 part, and takes 30 minutes.

But what do I know, only a collective 200k miles on FSI cars.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
See the problem is you don't know that. I did a ton of research on this because I was thinking about getting an R.

Well, pardon me for saying, but your research fell short. MkV Aaron sayeth fact, in his post above. 20k if on stock HPFP. 10k if on aftermarket pump. Rock solid. That is the definitive playbook on the cam follower, after 100's of thousands of miles by Mk5 FSI and Mk6 R owners.

But you are right about VW, they never have stepped to the plate on the CF, making it a regular maintenance item on their mech sheets. Probably if they did, there would not be so much confusion and hyperbole and non-fact out there on the matter. It does take a looooong time to read all the threads about intervals, I do understands :)

9V7W3

Ready to race!

You sound very angry about the cam follower issue.. Let me just say as the proud owner of a 2012 R, I've been through it all with this car. Because of that little piece of metal that I wasn't aware of at the time I ended up spending $2,500 on a new camshaft, HPFP, and rebuilding my engine to clean it out properly. Was I pissed at the world and VW for putting such a weak link in an otherwise solid motor, yes. But as time went on I got over it quickly and now that I just broke 85K miles im on my 5th follower (actually changed it today with my oil and haldex fluid) changing it every other oil change (I change my oil at 3-4K, none of that 10K Bs people try to tell you) and my car performs and looks as good as it did the day I took it off the lot. I'm not saying it isn't a nuisance, but when it comes down to it the car overall is an extremely fun to drive little go-kart feeling machine and can still take a crap on 2/3 of the cars out on the road.

OP, If I had to do it all over again I would def buy the R again. If you can handle $50 every two oil changes and about 25 minutes of your time and a few bolts you will have no regrets.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
If I had your experience, I'd probably be doing it every 5-6k too ;)

The key is, every engine is different, even every aftermarket HPFP is different, pull it regularly for checks to see what works for you, then continue on that replacement strategy.

No issues will be had.

Optical TDI1

Passed Driver's Ed