GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Current electrical gremlin issue

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
This will not achieve anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is literally what any VW master mechanic would start with. it takes about 10 minutes if you know the fuse correlations.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Disconnect the positive and negative battery terminals, touch the two battery wires together for 30 seconds. Connect the battery terminals and test. We are going to perform a capacitive discharge which has cleared up TONS of issues on these cars, especially when relating to the steering wheel and radio units.

interesting, Might try this.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
or i can do this with a multimeter.... voltage of <11.6V is toast.

Yes this is true, I’m no expert when it comes to checking battery condition however, wouldn’t a parasitic drain make it more difficult to get a definitive result with a multi meter?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
was about to head out to try some stuff and it donned on me that this could be my timing chain tensioner starting to go and not so much related to the battery?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie

Ok cool, I see what you mean now when you say you would check the fuses with a multimeter, that is a good procedure and I value Charles’s expertise, he really does know his stuff, I’ve consulted him several times before! He always provides concise And accurate information, i was actually referring to testing the battery [condition] with a multimeter that I thought might not give accurate results if there’s a parasitic drain, wouldn’t the drain falsely make the voltage appear lower than it really is when testing??

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
was about to head out to try some stuff and it donned on me that this could be my timing chain tensioner starting to go and not so much related to the battery?

Eh!! What are you talking about????

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Eh!! What are you talking about????

Do you have any fault codes???

It’s probably not a jumped chain but there’s a chance I suppose, do you have the revised tensioner??

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
no fault codes hinting at it. but as i understand it there wouldnt be until its too late.

I do not know which rev of the tensioner i have. i know how to check it but do not have the tools at hand to do so safely.

i called my shop and need an alignemnt and rotation anyway so ill have them look this over as well. thanks all.