GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infinite Baffle

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone on this forum ever installed an infinite baffle setup by fabricating a replacement hatch cover? I want to try something different but I don't know if this is worth the time, money, and effort. If I were to go this route, I'd probably use two Acoustics Elegance Infinite Baffle IB15 15" subwoofers. I guess I need to measure and see.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
The only thing I put into the hatch is groceries and my laptop. I know in the right environment, IB yields a great bottom end but I just don't know if a hatchback is the right environment. In other words most of my experience with hatch backs is a box subwoofer install and most of my IB experience is with trunk vehicles where it is far easier to keep the front wave separated from the rear wave.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
After thinking about it I am going to abandon this idea. Since the baffle can't be bolted down, it needs to be super heavy. I'm thinking I would be happier with a ported 12. [emoji3]

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
After thinking about it I am going to abandon this idea. Since the baffle can't be bolted down, it needs to be super heavy. I'm thinking I would be happier with a ported 12. [emoji3]

The only way to have an IB setup is if you replace the rear hatch cover and fab it out of fiberglass to reduce weight. Other than that, a typical ported box would be much better. I'm pretty happy with the (1) 8" sub I have.

budahbuddy803

Passed Driver's Ed

I was on CarAudio.com/forum back when req started that whole project. His setup was one of my first attractions to the golf/gti. I've got all Image Dynamics equipment sitting in a closet waiting for me to get a 3-way active double din so I can put them to use.

12" IDmaxv3d2
ID NX30 tweeters
ID CX62v3 mids

I had a spare tweeter sail panel so I went ahead and fabbed up the angle and cut out the section I needed to. I'm still going to put everyone on hold until I get a new AVH double din though.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I ran IB in my Subaru with IDQ subs and later AE SBP subs, and absolutely loved it, but a hatchback is a different animal. IB in a hatchback is not a great idea. In order to do IB correctly the rear wave should not interact with the front wave, this would mean that you would need to fabricate a rigid, almost airtight hatch cover, and you'd also want to build a baffle behind the rear seats because seat foam will do almost nothing to the long wavelengths of sub frequencies. If you can't do both of these things, a traditional enclosure will be optimal. IB has some great advantages, but in a hatchback it just isn't going to work without a lot of extra work, in that case you can build an oversized sealed box that would be far easier and sound as good.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
That is why I scrapped the idea. The seats would allow the back wave to bleed through and possibly cause cancellation at varying frequencies. To do it correctly would require too much time, money, and effort over designing a proper ported enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
That is why I scrapped the idea. The seats would allow the back wave to bleed through and possibly cause cancellation at varying frequencies. To do it correctly would require too much time, money, and effort over designing a proper ported enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly, IB in a hatchback it isn't practical. In order to get it to work you'd need a baffle behind the rear seats, rendering the fold down feature useless, and you'd need to rebuild the hatch tray. Although it doesn't need to be 100% airtight it should be pretty close, this could be tricky. IB can be incredibly, but unfortunately if you own a hatchback you should cross the idea off of the list and go with a traditional enclosure.