GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Walked into a dealership...and left empty handed

vietbodia

Passed Driver's Ed
Walked into my FIRST volkswagen dealership yesterday in Norwood, MA and let me tell you...I was in heaven! There was a blue R32 in the front window and GTI's were all around me...even though it took 5 minutes for a damn sales person to ask if I was being serviced, I really didn't mind being there. So after selecting what I wanted in my GTI (4 dr, sunroof+18'' Detroits-in grey), they gave a shocking number...$28,600 with tax (6.25%). This was for a 2011 GTI too. I told them I was willing to pay $19,000 CASH and after speaking to the manager, they said they weren't able to bring the price down any lower (liars!). I walked out. (hopefully they'll call me back later)

I was looking for a new 2010 GTI (I'm sure they should have some because the 2011 came out a few weeks ago). I was also hoping that it would be $3000-$2000 cheaper since its an older model but nope they kept the price the same...

So right now I'm gonna try other dealerships in MA for a new 2010 GTI but what do you guys think? Should I just look for a used 2010 GTI with my 19k cash or keep trying to bargain the price down? I think with 19k cash the dealership should bring the price down a LOT since they don't have to work with a bank or have to wait for monthly payments to come in. Plus I'm sure they have GTI's that has been sitting there for months.

pbm317

Passed Driver's Ed
I think 19 is pretty unrealistic for a brand new GTI. That's like $3,000 under the invoice of the most basic 2010 GTI listed.

Where do you even get 19K from as a good number? The most basic GTI, for a 2011 will probably be had for ~$23.3K

09vdubgti

Banned
if you walk out with a brand new gti for 19k, you will receive cool points from me.

but i agree with you on the price tag, they were prob lying to you...just keep searching.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
I think 19 is pretty unrealistic for a brand new GTI. That's like $3,000 under the invoice of the most basic 2010 GTI listed.

With 19K you will not be able to get a *new* 2010 MKVI, and certainly not a 2011. With 19K and a gun you might, but then you could pocket the 19k - tho I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Seriously tho, maybe you'll be able to find a good example with very low miles, like, less than 5K? Good luck with that.

vietbodia

Passed Driver's Ed
well I found a few 2010 GTI's with around 7k-9k miles, for $22,000-$25,000 maybe my 19k would be more suitable for those used cars. I just don't want to get a second hand car that had an abusive owner you know? And I'm sure I can bring the price down even more if I try REALLY hard. I just see why dealers would rather hold a car for a few months hoping that a buyer will lease/buy the car and pay the total price over a period of 3-6 years rather than getting a large amount of money right away.

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
As a fellow Viet MA resident who bought his last couple of cars cash, I can tell you they won't drop that much. Sure it's nice they're getting a big chunk of money at once, but they generally want you to finance. Try hitting some dealers up towards the end of the month, dude seemed to be sweating my sale a bit more than usual. Must have been a slow month lol.

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
If you want to pay nearly ten grand less just cause you have cash you need to go to an American car dealership. German cars just don't have the markup that US automakers sell there cars with.

P

plac

the first post just made me laugh out loud for at least 5 seconds... $19k for a brand new 2011.. HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. um ya. these arent base Chevy Cobalts...

"most" people get around $2000 off sticker give or take. some do better, some do worse. I got my 2010 a few months ago for $2990 off sticker after a simple email to the internet manager. and they werent happy about it but they did it.

$19k? go look at the 2008 and 2009 with hopefully under 20k miles. (Preferrable 2009 with TSI engine)

Last edited:

Rockstar

Passed Driver's Ed
Cash price on my gti with sunroof, 2011 was 26,252 + tax, I maybe could have done better if there was more than one 4dr manual anywhere near me, but there wasn't in 4 states.

You'd be hard pushed to get a low mileage used for 19k. Reset your expecations. A mark 4 with leather, sunroof, sport was invoicing around 23, 10 years ago. A civic ex can't be grabbed for 19 otd even.

Spritzup

Passed Driver's Ed
I just see why dealers would rather hold a car for a few months hoping that a buyer will lease/buy the car and pay the total price over a period of 3-6 years rather than getting a large amount of money right away.

No dealer is going to lose money on a car, regardless if you're paying cash, leasing or financing.

I think your expectations are unrealistic. You'd be smarter to put down a large down payment, and then invest the remainder of your cash.

P

plac

No dealer is going to lose money on a car, regardless if you're paying cash, leasing or financing.

I think your expectations are unrealistic. You'd be smarter to put down a large down payment, and then invest the remainder of your cash.

yup. i would be super stoked if i was able to put down even $10k when i bought mine..