GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

car stalling out

Jaber

Modero
Boosted showed us the problem over the weekend, so few of us got to witness the problem.

Is there anything that can be logged live, while the problem happens, does anyone know?

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
Boosted showed us the problem over the weekend, so few of us got to witness the problem.

Is there anything that can be logged live, while the problem happens, does anyone know?

Cool! It's such a stupid problem, right? I once attempted to log engine start up with VCDS. This has been a year ago at least. I want to say that I didn't see much strange.

One parameter I logged was battery voltage. After the engine starts, it can take like 10 seconds for the voltage to return to 12V. That's one thing that makes me suspect the problem is some component in the overall electrical system.

I wish I had logged throttle plate angle and overall spent more time trying to log. I want to say that when I logged a rough start, the ECU logged several misfires, but nothing deeper than that.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Can't find this part for sale at the usual sources or any information on how to check it. Could you please elaborate? Does this engine even have such a thing, being throttle-by-wire?

:confused:

Sorry you're right... it's controlled by the throttle body on these cars... for some reason I remember seeing it on the FSI's.

Have you guys checked your intake manifolds? There are two flaps, one which opens/closes during idle/lower RPMS and the second for anything above 2500+.

Dealer told me there were a bunch of these 2010's and 2011's which were having the smaller flap get sticky and cause intermittent conditions.

They weren't throwing codes either.

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
Sorry you're right... it's controlled by the throttle body on these cars... for some reason I remember seeing it on the FSI's.

Have you guys checked your intake manifolds? There are two flaps, one which opens/closes during idle/lower RPMS and the second for anything above 2500+.

Dealer told me there were a bunch of these 2010's and 2011's which were having the smaller flap get sticky and cause intermittent conditions.

They weren't throwing codes either.

I've wondered about the manifold. Is there any way to tell if the flap is getting stuck? Would that cause a rough idle?

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
By the way, I just called VWoA and opened another case with them regarding this issue. Going to try the dealer route again.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
I've wondered about the manifold. Is there any way to tell if the flap is getting stuck? Would that cause a rough idle?
Get a cheap USB borescope for $20 on Amazon. Remove the intake temp sensor and feed it down the hole and you can see the flaps. There is a test you can run in VCDS that makes the flaps move up and down and you can confirm that they're moving with the borescope.

bdegen94

Ready to race!
Once again, I had the issue today, the flaps on the intake manifold sound somewhat like a good place to start. There are no codes I had my car in earlier this week and everything was fine. I guess ill wait off on plugs and coils.

As for carbon I Just hit 50k miles and i have noticed it more and more in the last 2000 miles that I put on the car, Unfortunately I have no way of looking at the buildup at my house would it make sense for the off chance that carbon is preventing the flap from opening?