GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTS MK6 K04 vs MK7R TUNED

s0n1cm0nk3y1

Ready to race!
You'd be surprised; I come from a 2011 MK6R (mods in sig), and I currently drive a 2015 MK7R running stage 1 OBD software from Drivermotorsport. The gains the MK7R gets just from software are phenomenal, much more bang for your buck than on the MK6. I dynoed 367bhp at the crank on an AWD dyno, with bone stock hardware. It might not be the case of US-spec Rs though since they do not benefit from multi-port injection.
On just stage 1 I run on par against an MK6R with full bolt-ons and a loba LO400 turbo upgrade. So would not be surprised to give a TSI KO4 a run for its money.
This is what a stock 7R does to a stage 1 6R (that even jump started)

To answer your question OP, the 7R is miles ahead the 6R in terms of driving dynamics, handling, acceleration and overall performance. I've had 3.5 years in the 6R and almost a full year on the 7R now so I know what I'm talking about.

Thats good to hear as when I drove the MK6R in stock form it felt like driving a fridge. Afterwards in 2+ it felt quicker, but still fridge like. When I was driving the AWD I was expecting less of a "well-sorted" fwd feel in the corners. Hopefully the 7R is better in that aspect.

zrickety

The Fixer
The R will always be heavier, and 'fridge-like' in my opinion. Not to mention the extra gas money. I looked hard at them before deciding to stick it out with the K04 GTI. I just can't justify the $35k+ to swap.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
Thats good to hear as when I drove the MK6R in stock form it felt like driving a fridge. Afterwards in 2+ it felt quicker, but still fridge like. When I was driving the AWD I was expecting less of a "well-sorted" fwd feel in the corners. Hopefully the 7R is better in that aspect.

I'm super curious what brand of fridge you've driven? Maytag? Kenmore? I've driven a few fridges but none felt like an MK6 R....

s0n1cm0nk3y1

Ready to race!
I'm super curious what brand of fridge you've driven? Maytag? Kenmore? I've driven a few fridges but none felt like an MK6 R....

Lol, surprising enough the fridge analogy came from an APR tuner out here. Lol, it stuck because it made sense. I never felt that gobs of torque feel I did with the GTI or that oh shit planted feel I get from say a Evo or WRX. The 6R just felt super composed and like a too-well sorted FWD. I'm hoping the 7R is more dynamic. I'd figure you being k04 would understand that for a seat of the pants thrill the 6R just seems lacking.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
I can understand the "fridge" feeling statement about the 6R. But it really doesn't apply to the 7R not even remotely believe me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
You'd be surprised; I come from a 2011 MK6R (mods in sig), and I currently drive a 2015 MK7R running stage 1 OBD software from Drivermotorsport. The gains the MK7R gets just from software are phenomenal, much more bang for your buck than on the MK6. I dynoed 367bhp at the crank on an AWD dyno, with bone stock hardware. It might not be the case of US-spec Rs though since they do not benefit from multi-port injection.
On just stage 1 I run on par against an MK6R with full bolt-ons and a loba LO400 turbo upgrade. So would not be surprised to give a TSI KO4 a run for its money.
This is what a stock 7R does to a stage 1 6R (that even jump started)

To answer your question OP, the 7R is miles ahead the 6R in terms of driving dynamics, handling, acceleration and overall performance. I've had 3.5 years in the 6R and almost a full year on the 7R now so I know what I'm talking about.

Who the hell cares about bhp? Get a good mustang dyno, or trap speed, and that will give you a better idea of HP