GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up: Failing TSI Water Pumps

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
FYI, received my campaign reimbursement check within the last week or so. VW reimbursed me for most of the cost of the work...I think like 30 something bucks short. I assume the difference is what I would've paid in taxes...?

Score one for VW, I guess.

Regardless, just putting it out there that they are actually sending checks out.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Regardless, just putting it out there that they are actually sending checks out.

ONLY..... if your VIN# shows up in their database as a vehicle that is affected. Another BS from Volkswagen :thumbdown:

Cheder9000

Ready to race!
My vin# was on the list. Getting a replacement on Thursday. So glad cuz I was about to DIY. Had first pump replaced about 25k miles ago when it was still under warranty.

jai5

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone had any troubles getting a Waterpump replaced under warranty with a TD1 ?

skyfox23

Ready to race!
So get in my car and start it, the MIF display says check coolant level, pop hood no coolant in reservoir. Drive 2 miles to dealership, car barely came up to 190 temp, then started to go back down as I assume from day 1 it's done this, thermostat opening and closing?? Anyways at dealership and getting water pump replaced...was it ok to drive it after it said check coolant level? It only came up to 190 normal operation temperature and it was literally 2 miles.

artemk93

Ready to race!
Waterpump gave up on Wednesday at 38500 miles, towed the car to the nearest VW dealership on Friday. My vin was on recall list, so got a new waterpump, all done in 6 hours.
Dealership also didn't seem to care if I had any mods done to my car

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
They get reimbursed either way, it would be bad business to bring up mods over this.

skyfox23

Ready to race!
Wow don't mean to bump an old thread but didn't get a response the first time I posted on this which was exactly 6 months ago today. Well posting again because I have to have another pump replaced AGAIN!!!!!!!! 6 months later. WTF, I've only put app 1600 miles on in that time. Came home and let my car idle for a bit as I Califonia dusted it off before I pulled it into the garage, not sure how long it idled for, not really the point, 10 minutes or so I guess, now it's been in the 90's here but not the point either I suppose, but I smelled coolant so I got in and sure enough dash said check coolant, not sure if that light was on the whole 10 min or so but I popped the hood and reservoir tank was empty. Shut it off and was just awe struck by thinking "you mean to tell me, 6 months, 1600 miles is all these pumps can handle!" So upset now. Love my car but really frustrated. Just hope nothing else is wrong with it.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
At least it should be covered under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

skyfox23

Ready to race!
At least it should be covered under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

True, but at what point does this end? Plus sucks that the damn dealership has no loaners and it may need to be left over the weekend for a second time within 6 months for the same damn reason!! Unacceptable for a car that has 11,200 miles on it that I bought new and have babied and garage kept since day 1 with no mods to speak of. Its only been 1600 miles on pump 2. I mean WTF??? BUT I still love my car, just frustrated that a water pump has this much control over if you feel comfortable or not on the road!

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
Random post on an old thread but I've had 3 Waterpumps replaced on my 2014 GTI. First one at 8k second one at 27k and for both of those I was not tuned. Just had intake and minor bolt ons. I got stage 2 at 28k and my third water pump crapped out at 35k. And it's weird to say that because I know of two guys well past 50k on the original waterpump one being K04 and one with stage 2 never had any issues.

skyfox23

Ready to race!
Random post on an old thread but I've had 3 Waterpumps replaced on my 2014 GTI. First one at 8k second one at 27k and for both of those I was not tuned. Just had intake and minor bolt ons. I got stage 2 at 28k and my third water pump crapped out at 35k. And it's weird to say that because I know of two guys well past 50k on the original waterpump one being K04 and one with stage 2 never had any issues.

So what's your mileage now?

DarthGTi

I just turned 80,000 and ran outta warranty at 74,000... pump gaskets just went on my 2012 with bolt ons..i baby her...thats why it lasted so long i guess... sucks.. dealership wants $895 parts and labor.. i bought all parts for $340 and my mechanic buddy is gonna fo install for $180. Want to go stage 2 but shit!!

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I just turned 80,000 and ran outta warranty at 74,000... pump gaskets just went on my 2012 with bolt ons..i baby her...thats why it lasted so long i guess... sucks.. dealership wants $895 parts and labor.. i bought all parts for $340 and my mechanic buddy is gonna fo install for $180. Want to go stage 2 but shit!!

Does the recall not cover you? Unless you already had the recall done.