GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New details on 2.0T EA888 Gen 3

TheCastle

Ready to race!
After reading the posts on car and driver and askavwsales guy I noticed that VW has announced that the EA888 generation 3 is coming shortly to a GLI/Beetle turbo near you.

It looks like the new engine which will be added to these cars in 2013 and possibly to the end of the run GTI's will have 210hp/207lb-ft. They will also not have both direct and fuel injection as had been earlier rumored. This feature appears to be an Audi feature. Also they will not have variable valve timing, again this will be an Audi Feature. Here is a presentation I found and it was a good read.

it covers Volkswagen's power-train strategy for 2013-2018.
http://www.cargroup.org/assets/speakers/presentations/40/schmidt_oliver.pdf

Halvie

WOOSA
After reading the posts on car and driver and askavwsales guy I noticed that VW has announced that the EA888 generation 3 is coming shortly to a GLI/Beetle turbo near you.

It looks like the new engine which will be added to these cars in 2013 and possibly to the end of the run GTI's will have 210hp/207lb-ft. They will also not have both direct and fuel injection as had been earlier rumored. This feature appears to be an Audi feature. Also they will not have variable valve timing, again this will be an Audi Feature. Here is a presentation I found and it was a good read.

it covers Volkswagen's power-train strategy for 2013-2018.
http://www.cargroup.org/assets/speakers/presentations/40/schmidt_oliver.pdf

Called this a while ago. What a joke. Think that was the same pdf I was talking about a while ago saying it was looking like we weren't getting the multiport injection.

Avant

Ready to race!
Called this a while ago. What a joke. Think that was the same pdf I was talking about a while ago saying it was looking like we weren't getting the multiport injection.

Maybe they care more about fuel economy instead of power for the VW's.

Let me know if that HPFP swaps over :thumbsup:

Halvie

WOOSA
Maybe they care more about fuel economy instead of power for the VW's.

Let me know if that HPFP swaps over :thumbsup:

Well they certainly don't care about getting people excited for next gen. Uhhh we'll ugly it up a bit and not bring over any of the new tech. Oh awesome.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Well, I now have no qualms whatsoever about getting my Mk6 now.

Why they wouldn't include the multiport injection is beyond me; I guess carbon buildup in the intake is OK in VWs book.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
wait, they are not doing FI / DI?? why not? this is weird, no?

Avant

Ready to race!
Well they certainly don't care about getting people excited for next gen. Uhhh we'll ugly it up a bit and not bring over any of the new tech. Oh awesome.

Yeah it's pretty disappointing not bringing any of the new tech for the next generation cars (implying that they keep up this trend for the MK7). Then again.. the aftermarket scene is a small niche of the VW audience (or most car manufacturers).

Last edited:

Halvie

WOOSA

Probably for the same reason the mkvii comes with ebay taillights from the factory.

Yeah it's pretty disappointing not bringing any of the new tech for the next generation cars (implying that they keep up this trend for the MK7). Then again.. the aftermarket scene is a small niche of the VW audience (or most car manufacturers).

Agree, but at least do it for the carbon build up if anything. Fact yet another 2.0t is going to have that problem...

TheCastle

Ready to race!
Heard about this the other day. Is it actually the same tsi that will come in the mkvii gti?

Well we do know that the MK7 GTI will be built in mexico and it appears that Silao plant will be building the engines for the GTI.
I'm no expert I only have speculation and what the documents say.

Given that in the past the GLI and GTI have in the past shared the same engine it seems likely that the new TSI (EA888 gen 3) showing up later this year would be highly probable as the engine of choice in the MK7 GTI. So my guess is we'll be seeing 210hp on the MK7 GTI (or a slightly more tuned version).

I think the tuning companies all have a conspiracy to hide the new HPFP's from us. HAHA! As for the HPFP I see the new literature says that the EA888 Gen 1 has 150bar of pressure and the EA888 Gen 3's are coming with a pump capable of 200bar. So it looks like an upgraded HPFP is on the way. Can it flow more fuel?
http://www.aachen-colloquium.com/pdf/Vortr_Nachger/2011/A1.1_Wurms_Audi.pdf

TheCastle

Ready to race!

Can't answer why they aren't doing it... Maybe cost? I'd suppose adding all of those extra injectors for FI and another fuel system to operate at a lower pressure than 200 bar might cost some money. They are trying to make the new cars cheaper.

I'm also disappointing in not seeing valvetronic show up as well on the GLI

Avant

Ready to race!
Well we do know that the MK7 GTI will be built in mexico and it appears that Silao plant will be building the engines for the GTI.
I'm no expert I only have speculation and what the documents say.

Given that in the past the GLI and GTI have in the past shared the same engine it seems likely that the new TSI (EA888 gen 3) showing up later this year would be highly probable as the engine of choice in the MK7 GTI. So my guess is we'll be seeing 210hp on the MK7 GTI (or a slightly more tuned version).

I think the tuning companies all have a conspiracy to hide the new HPFP's from us. HAHA! As for the HPFP I see the new literature says that the EA888 Gen 1 has 150bar of pressure and the EA888 Gen 3's are coming with a pump capable of 200bar. So it looks like an upgraded HPFP is on the way. Can it flow more fuel?
http://www.aachen-colloquium.com/pdf/Vortr_Nachger/2011/A1.1_Wurms_Audi.pdf

:0

VAG is probably trying to increase the differences between a VW and an Audi (ex: A3 and GTI) by putting the greater and better tech in their more expensive cars. Holy fuck like right now I feel like there isn't a reason to get an A3/A4 if you want some decent luxury and performance with the new 328i and the upcoming Mercedes CLA (for under fucking $30k for a car that looks like a CLS).

If all the tech in the Audi engines were in a GTI.. I'd probably save the $7k+ and get a GTI and put lots of power mods on it. Then again.. the price of a GTI would be higher (unless it's balanced out by being built in Mexico :0)