GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 12-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #197
walker
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '12 GTI 6MT-DBP '12 Golf Black
I've only been up to 120mph in my gti (I don't want a ticket, so I only tried that a few times), but....

last summer I was in Germany. The plan was to rent a GTI so I could see what I could do in a car as close to mine as possible. Well they didn't give me a gti, but instead a special edition called the Golf Allstar. It's hard to find specs on it, even after switching my google region to Germany. I gather they made the allstar editions to promote a 2016 soccer match, it was a 1.4L TSI with 150hp and a top speed of 216 kph. I hit every bit of that on the autobahn. I swear I got that little engine north of 220kph. Maybe it was downhill. : )

It felt really stable, probably due to the pure silk of the autobahn pavement, but it wasn't nerve racking at all. Most of the time I was cruising at 160kph (100mph) which felt like going 65mph on the crappy New York highways. Getting past left and, well just left by bmw's and audi's.

Last edited by walker; 12-11-2017 at 04:24 PM.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #198
Phur
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Iím on the old APR stage 1 tune with CAI. In comfort mode mine shifted from 5th to 6th at 125mph. I let off at 130 because I was a bit unnerved by the fact that when it shifted, I felt myself get pressed into the seat again. I find it hard to believe that it could feel that strong at 130 and be that close to its top end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #199
DarienMidnight
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 vw gti 4dr autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBFL1 View Post
Stage 2 will help a lot with that, gives it way more life up top than stage 1. Also curious how you managed to put a down payment on a car part
Idk maybe because I'm special lol . But seriously my performance shop allows that . Who knows why . It's just possible to do downpayments on parts . And I wanna do one last run with stage 1 more fuel in tank and GPS on this time . Hopefully the 135 mph thing was just a fluke

APR stage 2 / r8 coils / APR stage 1&2 intake / AWE CBE/ APR catted DP so basically i have and APE TBE ( FMOIG: YoungRios_ )

Last edited by DarienMidnight; 12-19-2017 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Do do
DarienMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #200
cybonic
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: Mk6 Gold GTi
did afew short burst to 260-280km/h afew times during a 4hrs roadtrip in malaysia.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #201
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarienMidnight View Post
Idk maybe because I'm special lol . But seriously my performance shop allows that . Who knows why . It's just possible to do downpayments on parts . And I wanna do one last run with stage 1 more fuel in tank and GPS on this time . Hopefully the 135 mph thing was just a fluke
i did 127mph completely stock. It fuel cut(speed limiter) long before the gears were finished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #202
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIpowerr View Post
I think my car has a limit of 260kmh/161mph. It doesnt go any faster than that, im sure it has a limiter, since it probably should go faster. 330hp, stock exhaust-non res, stage 1 dsg tune.

Is this normal, or do you guys think it could go faster...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by avni View Post
Pretty sure tunes remove top speed limiter, but they do not change gear ratios
This. You can have twice the power, but if your gearing tops out it tops out. You will get to that point a lot faster with twice the power.
Quote:
Quote:
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #203
GTIpowerr
Autocross Newbie

Drives: FWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by avni View Post
Pretty sure tunes remove top speed limiter, but they do not change gear ratios
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
This. You can have twice the power, but if your gearing tops out it tops out. You will get to that point a lot faster with twice the power.
Now i read this, it actually makes sense. My gears indeed top out at 260kmh/161mph, the RPM is somewhere near 6600 at that point (shifts up at 6800 normally.

My dsg tune only includes - no rev limiter, doesnt shift up(by its self)/no kickdown in manual. The gear ratio is still the same as stock.

Thanks.
GTIpowerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #204
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Increasing your rev limiter increases your gear top speed however.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #205
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
Increasing your rev limiter increases your gear top speed however.
by maybe a few mph... but then again you arent breaking any land speed records by pushing it into the 7500rpm range... vs 7000rpm.

You're also a lot more likely to break something.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #206
The Yetti
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 CSG GTI
I managed 146 on the speedo which I'm assuming i was just going a hair over 140.
'13 CSG/APR Stage 2 V2/Carbonio Intake/Magnaflow CBE/Eurojet Catted Downpipe/H&R 26-22/DG Springs/Depo Tails/EuroSwitch/UB and RB/Hawk 5.0 Pads/SS lines/TyrolSport Brake Bushings/Enkei RPF1 17x7.5/Conti DWS06 225-45/VagCom Tweaks/35% Tint/DeAutoKey LEDs: Interior kit, Reverse, Front-Rear Turn Signals, Fogs/RCD330+/
The Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:01 AM   #207
DarienMidnight
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 vw gti 4dr autobahn
It's frustrating that the analog ..digital and GPS has all different times . Stage 1 last year I was over 140 mph. .recorded on digital speedo and GPS... This year my car stayed at 135 mph on digital speedo racing a stage 2 2015 jetta 1.8T. I know now I was going faster .

Just got home now and did another run . Digital said about 137mph . But GPS recorded 142 mph .I didn't dare look at the analog . I expected more of APR stage 2 especially since I got stage 1 and 2 intake ..upgraded coils and spark.

APR stage 2 / r8 coils / APR stage 1&2 intake / AWE CBE/ APR catted DP so basically i have and APE TBE ( FMOIG: YoungRios_ )
DarienMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #208
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarienMidnight View Post
It's frustrating that the analog ..digital and GPS has all different times . Stage 1 last year I was over 140 mph. .recorded on digital speedo and GPS... This year my car stayed at 135 mph on digital speedo racing a stage 2 2015 jetta 1.8T. I know now I was going faster .

Just got home now and did another run . Digital said about 137mph . But GPS recorded 142 mph .I didn't dare look at the analog . I expected more of APR stage 2 especially since I got stage 1 and 2 intake ..upgraded coils and spark.
Power doesnt = higher top speed.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #209
jkdiver
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: VW MK6GTI
I took mine to 120 the other night, I could have maybe hit 125 but the acceleration was very slow by 120 and my curiosity was giving in to caution by then. I'm stock with a Neuspeed p-flow intake.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #210
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
Power doesnt = higher top speed.
If you're drag limited, as opposed to gear limited, more power means higher top speed so long as the limiter is removed. I can't imagine stage 2 over stage 1 adds all that much though.

My personal top speed is about 180 mph. I've hit the limiter in the GTI.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote