GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dude's R Build

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Lol I know the feeling. Didn't do it personally but installed some coilovers with the help of my cousin in-law whose a import (not euro) mechanic. Man, thanks to rust and general car wear and tear, I swear the noise in cabin has never been as quiet even with all the fixing.
I'm hoping this doesn't become a rattle-box:laugh:

Quite the turn of events.

I always over-react:bellyroll:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Snapped these on my way to the gym tonight. This is how she sits on the VWR springs:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
After a fresh wash:D

So what's that saying? Looks good from far but far from good or something? I really need to do some serious TLC... She needs a clay/polish badly. I'm waiting to finish filling in about 20 more paint chips with Dr. Colorchip. It works well and the paint matches nicely but as others have noted, deep chips will require like ten coats to be flush with the rest of the paint. I also have some issues with the clear bra that I want to deal with. After I handle all that I'll make an appointment with a professional detailer who does Opti-Coat.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I've doing lots of research on detailing and it's tough because I don't have a garage or hose at my apartment. Over almost two years I ownership I've basically just been using a DIY car wash bay, only using the pressure gun, i.e. I've never done anything to cause any swirls myself. All my swirls are from the 3 months my R was on the dealer lot and the time they washed it when it went in for service, when I explicitly told them not to!

In addition to the swirls, I have a bunch of rock chips that I've been touching up with Dr. Colorchip, and a few light scratches on the fenders and rear bumper.

I was just quoted $275 for the cleaning/swirl removal/paint correction for the scratches. Ouch! I just feel that buying products I've never used before (like clay bar or even wax... That's right, I've never waxed a car before) will be frustrating and I could potentially damage my paint because I don't know wtf I am doing.

Now because I live in an apartment and it's tough for me to detail my exterior on a regular basis, I am thinking that Opticoat is the way to go. That is another $200 on top of the $275. Plus the engine bay was quoted at $30. In total, it's gonna cost me $515 to have my R show worthy shiny. I'm begining to think I'm nuts for wanting to spend that.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I don't think that's nuts, personally. But I'm kinda nuts about keeping my car clean.

Car looks much better with the new suspension. :thumbsup:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I don't think that's nuts, personally. But I'm kinda nuts about keeping my car clean.

Car looks much better with the new suspension. :thumbsup:

Thanks, my brutha:D

The reason I think it may be nuts is that my R is no garage queen. I don't even have a garage. She sits outside all day everyday. I drive 30k miles a year and and in the winters we get in the NE I'm driving twice as much on my ski trips.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Car looks good man, just read through your build for the first time. Let me know once you're getting closer to needing the carbon cleaning and timing belt done and i'll see what I can work out for you. What dealer do you typically use?