GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

best battery for the money?

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
^Yea, ok. Just keep ignoring many first hand testimonials. :laugh:

What...you think I replaced the stock battery because I had nothing better to do with my money? Some people sure are illiterate these days.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
^Indeed.

A single data point is not a trend.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
oem
Originally Posted by corrado917 View Post
This^
Got mine since 09 and no issues.

Originally Posted by cbenjes View Post
OEM. Still have the original battery in my car with a build date of Oct 2010.
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
This. Still on my original battery and my build date is 8/10.

I kept my Mk4 OEM battery for 7 years and it was still cranking fine when I replaced it, but I just thought it was time.

I've also had luck in the (distant) past with Diehard, too.
Originally Posted by NYCSuits View Post
OEM is the way to go and apparently the dealer sells them at a price lower than aftermarket brands which is shocking. My 2010 Tiguan is using the original oem battery and hasn't skipped a beat...was actually tested about a month ago and is perfectly fine
Originally Posted by brinkmen View Post
OEM. They come with a 6 year warranty. No way you'd need anything more unless you have like $10k in stereo equipment or something.

Again, I'm not the only one who had/has good luck with oem, dude. But whatever, I (and plenty of other people) are just saying that OEM batteries aren't shit and we've had good luck with them. I'm done.

Peace.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Whatever you say. I've had 5 VWs since 2001, and none of the factory batteries lasted more than 3 years, two (06 GTI and my current 13 R) even failed in 2. Maybe Ohio is harder on batteries than where you live? They've all been daily drivers and I haven't had big stereos in lighting or any of them either.

--Matt

Last edited:

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Oh and food for thought, OEM batteries only have a 1 year replacement and 5 year prorated rate replacement. My 2nd battery died after 14 months and they reduced the price form 150 to 100. For 150 I went and bought an aftermarket one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WAP

Go Kart Champion
I'm in the Chicago suburbs so subzero winters and 90-100* summers. Maybe their QC is spotty and some are better than others?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
"OEM" Can mean a lot of things; and I doubt VW sources their batteries from a single source. My guess would be that they have some sources better than others.

I've had numerous VWs going all the way back to an '84 Rabbit diesel. Of my more recent ones:

08 R32: Battery failed at ~3 1/2 years, replaced with OEM.
09 GTI: Battery failed at 5+ years, replaced with Diehard iirc (still in if if anyone really wants to know)
12 TDI: Battery is still solid so far; though cold starts are cranking a bit slower/longer. Battery is currently ~2 1/2 years old...

That's just my guess though, from personal experience...

WAP

Go Kart Champion
In for pole?

Stinger

Ready to race!
My OEM battery went dead a couple of times after leaving Pandora playing 10 mn with engine off. See sig for my audio. Now I just don't play anything without my engine running!

kaptaink

Ready to race!
Again, I'm not the only one who had/has good luck with oem, dude. But whatever, I (and plenty of other people) are just saying that OEM batteries aren't shit and we've had good luck with them. I'm done.

Peace.

Another OEM battery bites the dust after a legendary 2.5 years and 36k. Dealer wants me to replace for 2 and change and a 2 year warranty. I am going to pick one up for 125 with a 50 dollar coupon and better warranty. Best part is dealer tried to tell me 2 ish years is normal for a battery. ONLY if the battery is junk to start with.

zrickety

The Fixer
Case in point. You can buy an awesome battery for less than 200.

///Audience

Ready to race!