GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI "Homelink". Can it be installed in the car?

CodeB4U

Go Kart Champion
So after i got my GTI, i went back to the dealership and noticed another GTI with "HomeLink" for automatic garage door openers. I didn't know i could get that option. Well anyways, question is. What is all involved in getting it in my GTI. Obviously buy the sun visor, but is it a module that need to be programmed or installed? Anyone have a clue how much it is?

Shimino

Ready to race!
from OEMPLUS.com:
'If you want to add the convenience of the Homelink garage & gate opener to your vehicle, this OEM solution is the clean way to do it.

Notes:
- Installation is not plug-n-play and requires knowledge of basic wiring.
- Please specify interior color below when ordering."

onomatopoeia

Passed Driver's Ed
That must be a dealer installed option. I wouldn't pay extra for it...it's not like my garage door opener takes up much space.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
^^Thanks for the link. I miss having the dash panel storage.

CodeB4U

Go Kart Champion
from OEMPLUS.com:
'If you want to add the convenience of the Homelink garage & gate opener to your vehicle, this OEM solution is the clean way to do it.

Notes:
- Installation is not plug-n-play and requires knowledge of basic wiring.
- Please specify interior color below when ordering."

$435 !!! FFFUUUUUUUU THAT !! I'll find a way to use those "non buttons" above the shifter to be a garage door opener.

Shimino

Ready to race!
Well, if you do... Let me know and do it again in my car.
However, I will have to sacrifice my missiles button

CodeB4U

Go Kart Champion
That's cool. lol. Where did you get the stickers? You know what, i met you today, but didn't even sit in your car. I wanted to see how it looked without a sunroof.

zee

Go Kart Champion
You can wire a door opener to one of the empty buttons next to the shifter. A few Mk5 owners have done it.

<moved>

mikochu

boogerface
My garage remote fits perfectly in the too-small-for-sunglasses storage. However, in my previous cars, I just tapped a modified (always on) remote to my high beams. I just flash my high beams and the garage opens :)

Orient Express

Ready to race!
Homelink Retrofit

I bought a used Homelink transmitter on eBay for $20, and installed it in the Dash next to the lighting switch. Works perfectly.