GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealership stickers, I want 'em off!

DvS21

Ready to race!
I was so excited to take my 2010 GTI home on friday night I didn't see pay attention to the dealership sticker right under my GTI logo. The sticker seems to be individual vinyl letters about 3/4 of an inch high each with about an inch high VW logo.... I have nothing against my dealership, they sold me a great car, and I think at a good price... but the lettering they did isn't even straight, and the white looks terrible against my Carbon Steel GTI.

Anyway, I just want to know from a helpful MkVI owner what the best product/ technique to remove this lettering is? WD40 and fingernails? Floss? Some kind of gunk off product? Obviously the last thing I want to do is hurt the paint, so Help is appreciated!

CodeB4U

Go Kart Champion
I always use an eraser wheel on my drill. Come off like butter, and eraser doesn't hurt paint... fyi it will hurt plastic if you leave it in one place for a while.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Hair dryer (doesn't get hot enough to damage paint, heat guns can!). The vinyl will start to peel off very easily. Clean the area, then heat up the vinyl, and then use the pad of your finger (not the nail) to start an edge up. Once you get an edge up, you can grab the edge (carefully!) and pull off. Fingernails on paint can leave marring if you're not careful.

Use goo gone or isopropyl alochol (95% cut 50/50 with water... or just find 50% at the store) to remove any residue.

DvS21

Ready to race!
Hair dryer (doesn't get hot enough to damage paint, heat guns can!). The vinyl will start to peel off very easily. Clean the area, then heat up the vinyl, and then use the pad of your finger (not the nail) to start an edge up. Once you get an edge up, you can grab the edge (carefully!) and pull off. Fingernails on paint can leave marring if you're not careful.

Use goo gone or isopropyl alochol (95% cut 50/50 with water... or just find 50% at the store) to remove any residue.

Thanks for your help, I will try this tomorrow. She's getting the full treatment so I'll definitely have the time to do it.

pvivino

Ready to race!
Take it back to the dealer and tell them you don't want their advertising on your new car.

These stickers are very annoying. Locally all the dealers put on those ugly license plate frames with their advertising on it. First thing I remove.

gunmetal5

Ready to race!
Its very tacky and annoying when stealerships do that..... I'm glad Pasadena VW didnt put stickers on my car.
oh OP, btw dont take it to the stealership, they will probably remove the stickers with a sharp screwdriver and leave claw marks all over your paint.

DvS21

Ready to race!
I got them off no problem. I don't have a real problem with the license plate frames, as I had a great experience at Alexandria, VA VW.

Here are new pictures the lettering was under the GTI letters.

Attachments

• 2010-06-06 18.10.43.jpg
    2010-06-06 18.10.43.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 2010-06-06 18.10.49.jpg
    2010-06-06 18.10.49.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 2010-06-05 14.36.29.jpg
    2010-06-05 14.36.29.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 175