GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leasing? What are you paying...

BeauG

Ready to race!
Yeah I think the money factor is what's fucking all the leases because the residual is expected, around 50%.. So it goes with hot entry level hatches..

A friend of mine locally here in NH is leasing a GTI w/ sunroof package for $350/month, which some of the people on here are paying $450/month for, so I'm still saying that you guys are getting fucked. I'm pretty sure she didn't put anything down either, but when I told her how much I was paying for my autobahn package she wished that she had just financed as well. I'm not sure wtf is going on with VWs lease prices but some of you definitely should have checked out financing based on the ridiculous amount you are paying to not own a car.

s.hasan546

Passed Driver's Ed
A friend of mine locally here in NH is leasing a GTI w/ sunroof package for $350/month, which some of the people on here are paying $450/month for, so I'm still saying that you guys are getting fucked. I'm pretty sure she didn't put anything down either, but when I told her how much I was paying for my autobahn package she wished that she had just financed as well. I'm not sure wtf is going on with VWs lease prices but some of you definitely should have checked out financing based on the ridiculous amount you are paying to not own a car.

There is no way in hell shes paying $350 a month with $0 down, $0 taxes upfront, $0 title & registration. Just sign and drive. Not on a 4 door DSG w/ Sunroof package. Find me a dealership that will do that and ill pick up another one. She had to have put $$$ down and probably got like 10k miles/yr. If you pay taxes, title & fees upfront that lowers your payment by like $50-$60 a month right there.

And i checked financing options. Financing would have been $100-$120 more per month + i knew for a fact that i would be getting rid of this car within 3-4 years. This car was way cheaper than what my budget would allow anyways so i really didnt care as much.

Regardless, in 29 more months im getting rid of this car and honestly who knows what it'll be worth than. If you get into one car accident with your car there goes a good amount of your value. So for someone who is going to get a new car every 3 years it makes sense to lease. Also my daily commute is only like 20 miles. My next car will be leasing an m3 most likely and might finance a mk7 for the dd duties.

BeauG

Ready to race!
There is no way in hell shes paying $350 a month with $0 down, $0 taxes upfront, $0 title & registration. Just sign and drive. Not on a 4 door DSG w/ Sunroof package. Find me a dealership that will do that and ill pick up another one. She had to have put $$$ down and probably got like 10k miles/yr. If you pay taxes, title & fees upfront that lowers your payment by like $50-$60 a month right there.

And i checked financing options. Financing would have been $100-$120 more per month + i knew for a fact that i would be getting rid of this car within 3-4 years. This car was way cheaper than what my budget would allow anyways so i really didnt care as much.

Regardless, in 29 more months im getting rid of this car and honestly who knows what it'll be worth than. If you get into one car accident with your car there goes a good amount of your value. So for someone who is going to get a new car every 3 years it makes sense to lease. Also my daily commute is only like 20 miles. My next car will be leasing an m3 most likely and might finance a mk7 for the dd duties.

Its a Manual, 4dr. AGAIN, no taxes in NH. I do know that she did not put any money down however, and I'm not feeding you BS, I have no reason to lie.

So if you financed you car, you would have been paying $580/$600 per month? I find that pretty hard to believe seeing as I'm paying $460/month for a fully loaded car minus DSG.

s.hasan546

Passed Driver's Ed
Its a Manual, 4dr. AGAIN, no taxes in NH. I do know that she did not put any money down however, and I'm not feeding you BS, I have no reason to lie.

So if you financed you car, you would have been paying $580/$600 per month? I find that pretty hard to believe seeing as I'm paying $460/month for a fully loaded car minus DSG.

Like you said Taxes lol. Taxes, title, and fees add up. Also auto adds another $1000 atleast. Your lucky your in a state with no taxes on cars. Your the exception not the rule. Almost every state has tax on cars, even higher rates in states like ny and cali. Also When i bought the car you couldn't get the car for invoice or under.

so $26,395 is invoice on my car. $2000 in taxes, $650 in title; etc. That comes out to $550/month with a 60 month loan at %5. I also didnt include the BS dealer fees like destination charges; etc. Plus i didnt add the wheel & tire insurance thats like another $500 atleast.

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

This is what I'm paying - well about $10.00 less per month than I'm paying.
I paid taxes and DMV fees up front.
My car is a 4 door with sunroof & DSG.

ms3brendan

Ready to race!
Like you said Taxes lol. Taxes, title, and fees add up. Also auto adds another $1000 atleast. Your lucky your in a state with no taxes on cars. Your the exception not the rule. Almost every state has tax on cars, even higher rates in states like ny and cali. Also When i bought the car you couldn't get the car for invoice or under.

so $26,395 is invoice on my car. $2000 in taxes, $650 in title; etc. That comes out to $550/month with a 60 month loan at %5. I also didnt include the BS dealer fees like destination charges; etc. Plus i didnt add the wheel & tire insurance thats like another $500 atleast.

I agree with everything here except that you can always get the car under invoice because invoice is usually $1000-$1500 above dealer cost, if you try hard enough the dealer will more than likely go under invoice. Especially if you go with truecar.com, it is guaranteed under invoice and hasn't failed me yet.

s.hasan546

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree with everything here except that you can always get the car under invoice because invoice is usually $1000-$1500 above dealer cost, if you try hard enough the dealer will more than likely go under invoice. Especially if you go with truecar.com, it is guaranteed under invoice and hasn't failed me yet.

i tried with multiple dealerships here in LI but back when i got my car they just got 2011s in and they werent going that low. I just discovered truecar tho and i will def. b using that from now on

AzWildcat04

Passed Driver's Ed

Just curious...what did you put down? And i assume you got the 1.9% for 60 months correct?

BeauG

Ready to race!
Just curious...what did you put down? And i assume you got the 1.9% for 60 months correct?

Well I mentioned that somewhere in this thread, but the only money down was $800 dollars for an old car that I traded in. I financed at 2.49% for 60 months through my own bank because I like being able to just transfer money from my checking account directly onto the car loan, and I get some extra benefits by financing through them(off topic).

Got the Autobahn 4dr, 6MT with protection package.
I paid about $2000 below "invoice" price for my car also, you just have to work the salesman, don't let them work you.

Last edited:

AzWildcat04

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I mentioned that somewhere in this thread, but the only money down was $800 dollars for an old car that I traded in. I financed at 2.49% for 60 months through my own bank because I like being able to just transfer money from my checking account directly onto the car loan, and I get some extra benefits by financing through them(off topic).

Got the Autobahn 4dr, 6MT with protection package.
I paid about $2000 below "invoice" price for my car also, you just have to work the salesman, don't let them work you.

Oh for sure. I love the "game" of negotiating.

AdamC

Ready to race!
Hey everyone, especially AZWildcat04, I'm here in Tucson and an ex-wildcat as well! Just leased a 4dr DSG for $3k, no deposit out the door and payments at $320ish a month, 36/36 if that helps anyone. I shopped around to the other competing cars, and then to the competing VW dealerships in phx to feel confident in my price.

Not to hijack the thread but I'm going in to the dealer in a few days to ask for a couple of things, let me know if it's reasonable:

Pretty major IMO, when I hold the hatch eject button, it doesn't pop a few inches, I always have to pull the VW badge.

Not so major, I'd like them to make sure my MFD, stereo, and phone SW is up to date.

delos

In the Chicago suburbs and have put a refundable deposit on a Shadow Blue, 2-dr DSG, base model, for $23,500. Lease price of $339. 0 down. 3/36,000. Put a deposit down because they have to get car from other dealer.

How do those #s sound? Never leased before.

Last edited:

Picked up my GTI last week from Shrewsbury Volkswagen in NJ. I'm paying $425 with $1500 down for my Autobahn. 15,000 miles, 36 months. I found a leasing company that would have given me the same deal, but with $0. However, the dealer cut me a check for book value on my Mazda3 ($13,500).

VWTN

Ready to race!
Valid point for sure. I'd say in a standard lease your residual should be around 50% based on 3 years.

No such thing as a "standard lease".

Look at what BMW Zs were going for last month. CRAZY cheap for as expensive as that car is. Then compare a lease on say something from Chrysler.

I leased my first BMW 3 series for $386mth ($408 after tax) in 2004. It was almost a 40k car. I put down $2500 I think it was. Can't remember exactly. 12k miles 36 months. Leasing was HOT and deals were screaming back then.

My 2011 4dr GTI DSG w/ sunroof was a $28k car. I had $710 due at signing which included my first months payment and my mthly is $379 after tax. 36mths 15k miles.

It's damn hard to get any car of note for less than $350 a month. The 60mth 1.9% payment, if you got it at $26500 (depending on your tax) is $500 a month. That's over 5 years. You have to factor depreciation into your costs as well as interest and maintenance beyond the warranty. You could easily spend close to 50k on your car by the time it's 5 years old. What now? You have a 5 year old car that still has monthly costs associated with it, by way of maintenance. (figuring your yearly maintenance costs factored monthly.)

With leasing, you know up front, the exact amount of money you are going to spend on a vehicle. I like that. No surprises. There are other risks and considerations when leasing, sure, and it doesn't fit everyone nor does it fit every vehicle (for example, I buy my trucks). However, I'll be onto another new vehicle in 3 years while the purchaser is still paying more for his now 3 year old car (not only per month but total) and dealing with maintenance costs etc. that come with an aging German auto.

For me, I don't consider cars long term vehicles. Cars to me are an equal part enjoyment as well as utility where as trucks are all about the utility. I've kept trucks 10 years. I don't give a shit what it looks like or drives like, it still does it's intended purpose. Cars, I care what it looks like, I care what it drives like, and it's intended purpose is normally up by 3 years, in my case.

You have to be on your game when it comes to leasing because it is a dealer cash cow. I figure if the dealer hates me by the time the deal is done, I've done a good job. There is a blog called ridewithG that has updated monthly figures for leasing and some general information. Check it out. This months numbers on a GTI are a measure worse than last months (which were OK but not great).

We needed a second car and the clock was against me. I feel I got a good deal on a great car given my personal obstacles (kids start school need a 2nd car etc) and what was available at that price point.

vald1990

Passed Driver's Ed
0 down
12k a year
base
$330 a month

all i had to pay up front was first month+ dmv /registration fees