GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 04-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #15
Igor
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 2.0T 2dr
^^^

I got the tune, k04, and downpipes together. The tune was done after the installations - assuming it's tuned to the turbo.
Igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #16
SyDiko
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor View Post
^^^

I got the tune, k04, and downpipes together. The tune was done after the installations - assuming it's tuned to the turbo.
Dude you might want to check whats actually installed and have that tune checked too.

and, are you still running on the OEM clutch too? Cause I'm pretty sure an APR Stage 2 tune would mangle it, especially after launching your car on a drag strip.

Last edited by SyDiko; 04-17-2017 at 04:35 PM.
SyDiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #17
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MK6 gti
Alot of questions on here about the setup...

IDK why people think if you slap a K04 on youre automatically going to pull 12s; tires, mounts, and not to mention driver mod... sure there are k04 cars turning 11s but it takes work and right conditions.

I have never taken my mk6 to the drag strip. I have told myself that if i did id be willing to bet i dont get anything better than 12.9; despite being 350lbs lighter and FBO k04...
Old 05-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #18
Corradoluvher
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 vw gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injen1us View Post

IDK why people think if you slap a K04 on youre automatically going to pull 12s; tires, mounts, and not to mention driver mod... sure there are k04 cars turning 11s but it takes work and right conditions.

I have never taken my mk6 to the drag strip. I have told myself that if i did id be willing to bet i dont get anything better than 12.9; despite being 350lbs lighter and FBO k04...
So what exactly is needed to be able to run low 12s or even break into 11s? Obviously weather will definitely help. But can a manual transmission even break into 11s on a k04?
Corradoluvher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #19
urbanevil
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI 6 spd
Quote:

I think its more veteran K04 guys (who have tires,mounts,FBO etc) who have ran 12s questioning. His trap speed was kinda meh, and the car just didnt seem right. Could be a driver mod tho, who knows.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
2013 GTI 6spd - CTS k04, Unitronic Intake, Unitronic Turbo Back Exhaust , 42 Draft Designs Boost Tap, GFB DV+, SouthBend Stg 2 Daily,ARM FMIC, Golf R Conversion Front Bumper w/ LEDS, CTS Short Shift Kit, CTS K04 TOP Pipe, CTS Throttle Pipe,Solowerks S1 Coilovers, NewSouth OEM Vent Pod, Podi mechanical Boost Gauge, R8 Coils, NGK Iridium plugs, Eonon GA6153F
urbanevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #20
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MK6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corradoluvher View Post
So what exactly is needed to be able to run low 12s or even break into 11s? Obviously weather will definitely help. But can a manual transmission even break into 11s on a k04?
Don't know of a manual that has broken into 11s on k04 but doesn't meant it's not possible.

The real answer to question is tires and driver mod for getting in 12s. Alot of guys with those times are running slicks or high end rcomps.

But I think there is this idea of "if I go k04 I can do _____"

There are alot of mods needed just to get it to grip let alone run a time in the 12s

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanevil View Post
I think its more veteran K04 guys (who have tires,mounts,FBO etc) who have ran 12s questioning. His trap speed was kinda meh, and the car just didnt seem right. Could be a driver mod tho, who knows.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Hard to say for sure without a close look at the car for sure
Old 05-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #21
zef
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
It comes down to traction and the driver. If you don't have either of those things then the power is irrelevant. As others have mentioned, things like motor/subframe mounts and good tires are all necessities.

A KO4 car is more than capable of doing 12's all day long. Low 12's with meth or race gas.
'13 GTI CW 2 DR (DSG) - Eurodyne Stage 2/HPA DSG Tune | Cobb TBE | IE CAI | IE FDS IC | 034 CC | VWR Subframe Pucks | 034 SD Mounts | MSS SPRING KIT (learn more here) | 034 Pendulum Mount | Supaloy Control Arms | B6 Passat Front Spindles | Koni Yellows | RSE10 | more to come! Follow me on Instagram!: jg_gti
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #22
fast2ghl
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI MK6 3-Door DSG FBO k04-64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
It comes down to traction and the driver. If you don't have either of those things then the power is irrelevant. As others have mentioned, things like motor/subframe mounts and good tires are all necessities.

A KO4 car is more than capable of doing 12's all day long. Low 12's with meth or race gas.
This ^

Traction is the big one..... Specially for me since im DSG and the car will shift flawlessly every time.... its just launching and maintaining grip low down.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:55 PM   #23
Corradoluvher
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 vw gti
Good to know. I was a little worried since i went from stock to k04 that i wouldnt break 12s. But I would love to get into high 11s that would be awesome.
Corradoluvher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #24
SyDiko
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
There are alot of mods needed just to get it to grip let alone run a time in the 12s
For me, those Mods are like the universal prereqs for tuning an Mk6 and even more so when upgrading your turbo. That is, unless you buy one of those special edition Mk6s, why bother going K04, if you're going to stay on the OEM rubber!?

The first upgrade to my GTI were tires and suspension (more grip, traction, and stability.)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #25
Igor
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 2.0T 2dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyDiko View Post
Dude you might want to check whats actually installed and have that tune checked too.

and, are you still running on the OEM clutch too? Cause I'm pretty sure an APR Stage 2 tune would mangle it, especially after launching your car on a drag strip.
UPDATE:
Yes, it's tuned to the k04 and my GTI's DSG.

The only reason I could think of not getting a better time is not doing launch control.
Igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #26
SyDiko
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor View Post
UPDATE:
Yes, it's tuned to the k04 and my GTI's DSG.

The only reason I could think of not getting a better time is not doing launch control.
Your slip is starting to make a bit more sense now. Do you know if the guy in the WRX also didn't AWD launch?
Old 08-20-2017, 11:02 PM   #27
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Not to mention you are rocking those heavy Detroit rims.

I'm honestly thinking lowering rim size and something light weight as opposed to OEM VW rims. I'm on Lagunas currently which are lighter than the Detroits but even those are heavy. I believe Lagunas are 23lbs each compared to 27-28 lbs for the Detroits.
Internal : APR Fully loaded Stage 2 tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille - Splash Guards (-5hp )
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote