GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Old Today, 09:35 AM   #5615
RoyB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2015 Golf
Went to Devils Lake over the weekend. Always nice during Fall. Put the new tires on the truck a couple weeks ago. Towed the camper even better than the stock jobbers.

Also if you remember the 13 year old pup that was on her death bed earlier this year when her spleen exploded...that I spent the equivalent to 3 Miata's on to repair.... Hiked the 7.5 miles we did without complaining once. Then we went back out for a short night hike and she wanted to come with then too! She's a freakin trooper.

RoyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:40 AM   #5616
Jaber
Modero

Drives: 2013 GTI
That doge, good to hear. Haven't been to Devil's Lake in ages.

#TEAMMINIVAN - BBRT, Banana Bread Racing Team
Jaber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:23 AM   #5617
flying_solo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: Touareg TDI, C2S
Is Devils lake a good weekend cruise to see fall leaves? Iím looking for some cruise ideas and maybe some light hiking with the family.

Also good man Roy spending so many miatia to fix the puppy. I am on the other side of the fence and look forward to mine finally kicking the bucket. Especially the adopted horse thatís tearing up my house.
Old Today, 11:42 AM   #5618
RoyB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2015 Golf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaber View Post
That doge, good to hear. Haven't been to Devil's Lake in ages.
Get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_solo
Is Devils lake a good weekend cruise to see fall leaves? Iím looking for some cruise ideas and maybe some light hiking with the family.

Also good man Roy spending so many miatia to fix the puppy. I am on the other side of the fence and look forward to mine finally kicking the bucket. Especially the adopted horse thatís tearing up my house.
It's great. If you take the first exit off the highway, it's pretty twisty getting to the park. Depending where you come from, it's about a 2.5-3 hour drive. Took me just under 3 hours with the camper.

End of October is the best time to see the leaves change. They were all yellow this weekend. Next weekend will probably be prime. Usually we go beginning of November and most are down by then. This year they will probably hang a little longer.

Most of the hiking here is pretty strenuous FWIW. As much as I love my dog, I am really going to enjoy having my freedom back when the time comes. I used to be able to jump in my car and drive anywhere for the weekend. I miss those days.
RoyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:56 AM   #5619
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_solo View Post

eh for a cruise I'd much rather go up to madison and then back down to new glarus through the twisties. Or do Kettle Moraine
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:59 AM   #5620
OmniGLH
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
As much as I love my dog, I am really going to enjoy having my freedom back when the time comes. I used to be able to jump in my car and drive anywhere for the weekend. I miss those days.
Primary reason I won't let the wifey get a dog.

I love dogs. But we just aren't home enough to be, what I'd consider, "responsible" dog owners. All through the summer we're out doing stuff (usually none of it "dog friendly" so we couldn't just take the dog with, etc.) so the dog would be spending a lot of time home alone. I've got a few close friends with dogs and had lots of spontaneous stuff ("Hey let's go grab a beer/lunch/movie") get cut off when they remember, "Crap... no, we can't... we gotta go home and let the dogs out..."

Glad to see the pupper back in shape. They're members of the family, for sure.
Old Today, 12:04 PM   #5621
OmniGLH
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadubya View Post
Haha, out in the burbs yeah. The prices arenít that great in the established neighborhoods close to downtown. Dallas is on an upswing market wise currently. Where weíre looking the prices are high. Good for resale, bad for deals. Near the lake. 15 min commute for the lady though.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/70.../26750712_zpid
Hmmm yeah that's not what I was expecting. Still not bad and definitely better value than what we get here. 15 minute commute would be killer.
Old Today, 12:10 PM   #5622
OmniGLH
Formula 3000 Driver

In other news... went to install a new subframe in the racekar yesterday. Got the old one out in about 40 minutes.

New one... fought with it for 2.5 hours... pry bars, loosening, tightening, adjusting... couldn't get the f*cker in. WTF?

Finally line it up next to the original.... and its f*cking bent.

Old subframe goes back up and in within 2-3 minutes. *sigh*

At least the seller agreed to send me a new one... tho only after I (a) took TONS of photos and (b) ran to a friend's shop this morning to compare it to another car to prove it wasn't my CAR that was bent (which is what the seller tried to allege... and to be honest, I was worried he was right...)
Old Today, 12:39 PM   #5623
flying_solo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: Touareg TDI, C2S
Nuts, neither the pregnant wife nor the kid can handle very tough hikes. Perhaps Iíll just take them all up to Dick Bong instead and bring the mongrels. We used to go up there 3 or 4 times a year when we lived in Gurnee.

Tags
# assman, #aprsafe, bart is still confused, boosted's stinky exhaust, buttplugs ftw, chikfila sandwich is king, diabeetus, ej has the cleanest car, too much tuna, tuna is a penis master, tuna trolls