GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My modest build

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
installed my SPM transmission mount today. Put in the engine mount and dogbone insert about 8k miles ago.

Pulled out the OEM mount:
20140126_110522.jpg

It took some work positioning the transmission to the SPM mount. Needed an extra set of hands to put pressure on the tranny while i aligned the bolt.

Snug as a bug:
20140126_114645.jpg

Impressions: Well I was use to vibes of the engine and dogbone insert. Both of which i definitely noticed immediately after install; and both of which died down drastically after 200 miles. However of the three mounts the Transmission Mount is hands down what seems to cause most of the vibrations you feel when you change out all your mounts. That plus my stg 2 clutch generates quite a bit if noise.

Thats the bad.

The good is that the car engages immediately. Its very grabby and very linear. The GTI's notorious problem of tq steer (after tunes) is eliminated. It is slick out in Germany right now so i was only able to push 10lbs of boost safely... but I didnt even have to touch the steering wheel... car was straight and clearly wants to launch forward. And wow does the car sound aggressive.

next up will be my dv+. Should be here this coming week :thumbup:

EDIT: After 1200 miles on this mount i took it out. The noise from my smfw is absorbed by the soft rubber of the OEM mount. W/O out it i hear everything... Cockpit was still too loud. Out it goes. Oh well :/

Last edited:

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Installed the DV+ Diverter Valve today.

Install: Pretty easy overall. Hardest part was pulling off the damn OEM clip that goes into the housing. That thing is a B@#$%! But apart from that it is pretty stupid proof. Lube up the DV+ piston with some motor oil and replace. Put as much torque as you can on those hard to reach allen wrenches and let her rip.

Impressions: Well to be honest i was a bit disappointed i didnt get any "pigeons" (i kinda like the sound). However the response is insane. It builds boost noticeable quicker and holds it so much better. At WOT i am holding 18lbs. With the OEM DV i would spike at 20lbs and it would trickle down to about 16lbs.

For the money its hard for me NOT to suggest this. Easy install; noticeable results; less than 180 bucks shipped. Buy it :)

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
Installed the DV+ Diverter Valve today.

Install: Pretty easy overall. Hardest part was pulling off the damn OEM clip that goes into the housing. That thing is a B@#$%! But apart from that it is pretty stupid proof. Lube up the DV+ piston with some motor oil and replace. Put as much torque as you can on those hard to reach allen wrenches and let her rip.

Impressions: Well to be honest i was a bit disappointed i didnt get any "pigeons" (i kinda like the sound). However the response is insane. It builds boost noticeable quicker and holds it so much better. At WOT i am holding 18lbs. With the OEM DV i would spike at 20lbs and it would trickle down to about 16lbs.

For the money its hard for me NOT to suggest this. Easy install; noticeable results; less than 180 bucks shipped. Buy it :)

What DV did you go with?

AaronC1

Ready to race!
Well well well. I haven't been on here in months (so I don't buy a bunch of shit)! lol

Good for you to show her off on here!

AaronC1

Ready to race!
Is your profile pic from Lowe AHP? lol

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Hahaha.

Have you put your SMFW and new clutch in yet? Im anxious to see if the FX is as rattly as my southbend.

Though if i was a betting man i would say no. I noticed an increase in clutch noise as i put new mounts in. I think the OEM mounts will do much better at absorbing some of that clutch noise

Also that pic was taken at one of the car meets you NEVER went to! haha

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Got my Koni Yellows in last week!

Box came in a bit ragged to Germany; but after i removed all the padding and boxes this is all that was left
20140225_131630 (1).jpg

I was going to install them myself but with work and my lack of experience working on suspension i decided to bite the bullet and pay to get these done.

The German guys up here do some pretty quick and reliable work for a good price IMO.

The rear strut after install:
20140228_135142.jpg

I tried to get there early to get a picture of the shocks but the car was already off the lift and aligned!

Initial impressions:

Pros - I told the guys to preset the dampening to mid position so i have a good place to work with. After taking a spirited cruise around some bendy German back roads I was blown away by how well my car refuses to roll; there is a great feel of the road even with my all season on. I can accelerate hard as soon as i hit the apex of even the sharpest turns and the responsiveness is much more immediate than with the OEM.

Cons - I only wanted to write this in here so people understand... These are not as comfy as coils; at least not on this setting. Youre going to feel potholes, bumps and the road in general. However, its not like with my worn OEM shocks (20k miles after being lowered). The car feels firm... not bumpy. Huge difference in feeling a manhole cover as you cross it; and continuing to feel it 50 feet down the road.

Ive only read a few people who run this setup. Personally I like my ride height and fitment... i didnt want to go lower i just wanted more options. These Konis hit that spot for me. I look forward to breaking them in a bit more :thumbsup:

AaronC1

Ready to race!
You mean not as comfy as coil(overs)?

No, no SMWF install yet. Prob will wait til it's a bit warmer so I can ride bike while car is in the shop. Plus I have to accept the fact that someone else is going to be touching my car.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Update on the Koni Yellows:

Autobahn driving:

Ok so this is basically why i bought these things. my wife hated the idea of having to wear a sports bra when we are doing 110 down the autobahn. I set both struts and shocks to full stiffness to reduce the bounce and A HUGE difference over stock. A bit bumpy in the town but for an hour and half on the autobahn it was butter.

It seems most people here go with coils. But here Ive found the ride height i like with adjustable dampening. All for less than a grand. It is a definite ride option for anyone interested

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
You went full stiff front and rear on the Yellows?

Did you need to remove the rears completely to adjust or just unbolt the bottom and twist?

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
i had the rears set full stiff on install. probably wont change those really.

as i understand it you just need to unbolt the bottom and twist. shouldnt need to pull them off