GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

10 Cars that could increase in value

Shifty6

Ready to race!
Well two out of ten isn't bad. The only two that are going up are the Z28 and Hellcat. The rest may not drop as much or "might" maintain value, but thats it.

zrickety

The Fixer
Both cars are overrated, especially the Z28.

Shifty6

Ready to race!
I disagree, both cars are pretty amazing for different reasons. The z28 is amazing in its handling abilities. Whether it is worth $75K is a different discussion. It will increase in value because of the performance the car offers and its exclusivity. Unless...Chevy builds another one for less money, but still offers 80-90% of its performance. The Hellcat will increase due to its motor. Nothing more nothing less. 707 hp is a milestone. Its hard believe a manufacturer will top the hp number. The performance numbers are nothing, but the hp number is the attraction. I am not saying they are worth it, but I do speculate they will increase.

zrickety

The Fixer
80-90% of the performance is the SS. You can buy 2 for the price of one z28. It's absurd.
And yes the hellcat has a killer motor but it's in the wrong car. To paraphrase Tony Stark, everything special about that car came from a crate.

rasetsu

Ready to race!
I don't understand why they chose the convertible M4 and not the fixed roof M4. Convertible track cars have not been known to go up in value. Convertible Mopars with 440s or Hemis did because they were so rare.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I disagree, both cars are pretty amazing for different reasons. The z28 is amazing in its handling abilities. Whether it is worth $75K is a different discussion. It will increase in value because of the performance the car offers and its exclusivity. Unless...Chevy builds another one for less money, but still offers 80-90% of its performance. The Hellcat will increase due to its motor. Nothing more nothing less. 707 hp is a milestone. Its hard believe a manufacturer will top the hp number. The performance numbers are nothing, but the hp number is the attraction. I am not saying they are worth it, but I do speculate they will increase.

Ok, first, have you ever BOUGHT and owned one of these types of cars? They DON'T hold their value like you would think. :laugh:

Because I have to tell you, unless you are talking about 50+ years (when all gas cars have been crushed and we are being zipped around in wafer thin death boxes driven by Google) going up in value.........don't bet on it.

I bought a 2002 Camaro SS limited Anniversary edition 1LE brand new, factory ordered it myself; $43k. Planned to hold on to it for a long time, sell it at Barret Jackson for big bucks in a few decades. LOL

Sold it in 2013 with just over 20k on the clock......for $16k. This was not some off the shelf production car that just had a HP attached to it, this was 1 car out of less than 112 built. EVER. One of them is in the Chevrolet Museum. Even if our economy was not in the gutter, and even if all the stars aligned, the car was only worth $22-25k.

Perhaps in 50 years I would have broken even, but then again, to be accurate at that range of years especially....you need to count for inflation. I mean, in the 50s you could get a Corvette for $5000, those same cars are over $100k now.

Bbbuuuttttt, in the 50s the average home could be purchased for about the same price, and now the average house can be bought for about the same price those Vette's of old are going for too.

So did they REALLY gain value? Or did inflation just match it.

Second, 707 is no milestone in horsepower......

Not to mention......

The 700 Club

Tell me again how 700HP is some exclusive way to high value? LOL ;)

Truthfully, nothing on that list really made sense to me, although the R has probably the best bet since it is A) a limited production run, B) a niche area with a cult following, and C) low enough cost now to where it could gain and still be within reason. A $40k golf going up to $50k is still in the realm of a large segment of the market. A $74k (dear god that is just retarded) Camaro going up to $100k is a really small market of too much cash not enough brains buyers.

Look back at the cars that do gain (if we ignore inflation) value. They are;

Rare
Truly unique (I saw an old Buick land-yacht go for way more money than Shelby Mustang)
Or owned by a specific person in history (A 60s Corvette OWNED by the designer at Chevrolet and big whig ect went for BIG bucks)

What is rare or unique about a M4 Convertible that will matter in 10-20 years? :iono: Or the Mustang Sport pack or whatever? Sure, if a lot of these cars get abused, crushed, destroyed and they BECOME rare.....maybe......but you still need a market, a drive for them. Yugo's are rare.......no one is lining up to pay money for them.

The "collector" market is small, no one is going to pay $100k+ for a used Corvette in 15 years when they can buy a brand new Porsche at that time that will certainly beat the crap out of the old Vette in every way for the same price. Unless they are a Vette collector and even then, have to be something special.

80-90% of the performance is the SS. You can buy 2 for the price of one z28. It's absurd.
And yes the hellcat has a killer motor but it's in the wrong car. To paraphrase Tony Stark, everything special about that car came from a crate.

What's really interesting is for the entire LIFE of the Camaro the Z/28 was the mid range and the SS was the crown jewel. Z28s were the high powered small blocks, but if you really wanted to GO....the SS with the Big Block was it. No idea why Chevy decided to flip it around :rolleyes:

POPSMK61

Ready to race!
Ok, first, have you ever BOUGHT and owned one of these types of cars? They DON'T hold their value like you would think. :laugh:

Because I have to tell you, unless you are talking about 50+ years (when all gas cars have been crushed and we are being zipped around in wafer thin death boxes driven by Google) going up in value.........don't bet on it.

I bought a 2002 Camaro SS limited Anniversary edition 1LE brand new, factory ordered it myself; $43k. Planned to hold on to it for a long time, sell it at Barret Jackson for big bucks in a few decades. LOL

Sold it in 2013 with just over 20k on the clock......for $16k. This was not some off the shelf production car that just had a HP attached to it, this was 1 car out of less than 112 built. EVER. One of them is in the Chevrolet Museum. Even if our economy was not in the gutter, and even if all the stars aligned, the car was only worth $22-25k.

Perhaps in 50 years I would have broken even, but then again, to be accurate at that range of years especially....you need to count for inflation. I mean, in the 50s you could get a Corvette for $5000, those same cars are over $100k now.

Bbbuuuttttt, in the 50s the average home could be purchased for about the same price, and now the average house can be bought for about the same price those Vette's of old are going for too.

So did they REALLY gain value? Or did inflation just match it.

Second, 707 is no milestone in horsepower......

Not to mention......

The 700 Club

Tell me again how 700HP is some exclusive way to high value? LOL ;)

Truthfully, nothing on that list really made sense to me, although the R has probably the best bet since it is A) a limited production run, B) a niche area with a cult following, and C) low enough cost now to where it could gain and still be within reason. A $40k golf going up to $50k is still in the realm of a large segment of the market. A $74k (dear god that is just retarded) Camaro going up to $100k is a really small market of too much cash not enough brains buyers.

Look back at the cars that do gain (if we ignore inflation) value. They are;

Rare
Truly unique (I saw an old Buick land-yacht go for way more money than Shelby Mustang)
Or owned by a specific person in history (A 60s Corvette OWNED by the designer at Chevrolet and big whig ect went for BIG bucks)

What is rare or unique about a M4 Convertible that will matter in 10-20 years? :iono: Or the Mustang Sport pack or whatever? Sure, if a lot of these cars get abused, crushed, destroyed and they BECOME rare.....maybe......but you still need a market, a drive for them. Yugo's are rare.......no one is lining up to pay money for them.

The "collector" market is small, no one is going to pay $100k+ for a used Corvette in 15 years when they can buy a brand new Porsche at that time that will certainly beat the crap out of the old Vette in every way for the same price. Unless they are a Vette collector and even then, have to be something special.

What's really interesting is for the entire LIFE of the Camaro the Z/28 was the mid range and the SS was the crown jewel. Z28s were the high powered small blocks, but if you really wanted to GO....the SS with the Big Block was it. No idea why Chevy decided to flip it around :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think the R has the best bet to increase in their value. Heck, I've seen R32's sell for the price of a new GTI.

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
It's true. Some dude here in St. Louis bought a MkV R32 from the Mini dealership last month that they had advertised for $16,500. This month, he's selling it on Craigslist for $17,500. :rolleyes:

chad13761

Ready to race!
Several years ago, I had a co-worker who claimed his Hyundai Santa Fe had "Equity", because they were in high demand.

It wasn't even worth berating him about such nonsense.