GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's Happening... Subaru STI to get new engine.

Jcap287

Go Kart Champion
yeah, in a way, it does. The STI looks great in silver, or white. I think in red it looks bad, lol. And the blue makes it look more like a toy now, lol.

We have a local dealer who does WRX orders at like $3K under MSRP.. quite amazing/tempting. STI usually had for about 2k. 4-8week wait.. well worth it.

i'd wait 4-8 weeks for 2 grand off haha... is that christmas sale or just in general all year round?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Is anyone else lamenting the loss of ULHs? Are you able to retrofit them onto the FA?

A turbo boxer with ELH sounds even worse than a turbo I4 IMO.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
i'd wait 4-8 weeks for 2 grand off haha... is that christmas sale or just in general all year round?

Is anyone else lamenting the loss of ULHs? Are you able to retrofit them onto the FA?

All year round ;) they are about 10-15miles west of Chicago, usually very easy to work with, etc. PM me if you want more info, but I’ve seen guys getting pretty good deals, whether it’s a base model or a limited WRX, some pretty deep discounts.

I kinda do miss the sound, yeah.

steemax

Go Kart Champion

Yeah unfortunately it won't work with the turbo setup on the FA20. But it still doesn't sound that bad at all with ELH's. Here's my WRX with a Catted Turbo back exhaust.

Last edited:

Jcap287

Go Kart Champion
All year round ;) they are about 10-15miles west of Chicago, usually very easy to work with, etc. PM me if you want more info, but I’ve seen guys getting pretty good deals, whether it’s a base model or a limited WRX, some pretty deep discounts.

I kinda do miss the sound, yeah.

ooo i thought it was like a nationwide thing..yea i wont be driving to chicago haha

tjasko

Go Kart Champion
I'm personally happy for Subaru changing it up and finally putting in a new engine. It's about damn time. Not because the previous engine isn't great, because it definitely is and can handle a lot, just that people like change every now and then. :thumbup:

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
really excited for this focus rs...

i wonder how many scooby fans are gonna jump ship for it

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
My only problem with it is that, in my opinion, it looks pretty bland. Not very aggressive. I feel normal people would think it looks like a Corolla or Camry, but that's just me.

Normal people matter. Hardly. Drive what you like. You will never ever be able to please all. Just you.

I love my STi and the thread by GunKata here was part of me exploring the purchase when I was tired of my GTi. It is soooooooooooooo much more fun than my GTi was. No way I will go back to VW. I look way forward to the next one - newer/updated WRX/STi

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Normal people matter. Hardly. Drive what you like. You will never ever be able to please all. Just you.

I love my STi and the thread by GunKata here was part of me exploring the purchase when I was tired of my GTi. It is soooooooooooooo much more fun than my GTi was. No way I will go back to VW. I look way forward to the next one - newer/updated WRX/STi

Agreed, I love my WRX as well. Coming from a GTI the WRX 15+ is a lot more fun and not to mention the handling is miles better. If the GTI is the extent of your performance car experience, I encourage anyone who can get access to a 15+ STI or WRX to take one to the twisties and rip on it...

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion

I agree with both of you guys. Just wish it looked sharper. I'm still definitely interested in a base WRX running on E85 w/ FBO.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I agree with both of you guys. Just wish it looked sharper. I'm still definitely interested in a base WRX running on E85 w/ FBO.

A WRX with FBO's on E85 makes some good numbers for a stock turbo, seen some hit a hair below 400AWHP on a mustang dyno. The new platform responds very well to E85 with just a DW65c or DW300 pump. Stock injectors are more than adequate for 100% E85

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steemax

Go Kart Champion
ford rs though wow, bye bye wrx

Meh, that's another $10k over the WRX. Could do a lot to a WRX for $10k like a Stage 3 IAG short block, ETS Turbo kit etc...

Now compared to the STI, i'd take the Ford because of the ancient STI engine.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Meh, that's another $10k over the WRX. Could do a lot to a WRX for $10k like a Stage 3 IAG short block, ETS Turbo kit etc...

Now compared to the STI, i'd take the Ford because of the ancient STI engine.

hatchback is gone for subaru iirc...

no drift mode, no more burbley famous subaru exhaust note...

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Agreed, I love my WRX as well. Coming from a GTI the WRX 15+ is a lot more fun and not to mention the handling is miles better. If the GTI is the extent of your performance car experience, I encourage anyone who can get access to a 15+ STI or WRX to take one to the twisties and rip on it...

Big +1 :) - get out of the 1/4mi acceleration mindset and get out on the roads/mountain roads etc and use the car as designed. Its just a blast. Makes great sounds and has plenty of space etc. Its a great fun anti modern, programmable, does all the work for you car. No silly electric steering etc. It requires input from you and rewards smoothness and an engaged driver.

I liked my GTI but this appeals to me way more overall. Its not for everyone but its worth a look!