GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help, no idea why radio won't turn on

demon_GR

Greetings and looking for simple advise, in case anyone has encountered this before.

Car: 2012 golf R
Issue: battery died

After replacing battery a bunch of weird things happened. For starters, the abs wheel sensors malfunctioned and had to replace 3 (ended up changing 4 just in case). Speedo went from reading straight to 0. Dcc button flashes on/off constantly, and several lights remain on such as (traction, steering, tire pressure, and red ! Indicating brake malfunction. Last, mfd or whatever the center radio display does not turn on.

Brought car to dealer and of course have to replace abs sensors which boggle me because my car has severely low mileage. 16k miles.

Dealer suspect wiring as cause of radio malfunction and requires tearing dash apart. I worry they might screw something else up. Any ideas how to reset the unit? Dealer checked fuse and seems ok.

Please provide any ideas and it is highly appreciated, thanks lots I advance.

demon_GR

Yes battery was installed correctly.

New discovery: glove compartment locked itself

Any idea?

Dealer replaced all abs sensors and car runs well again but still no radio, nav or reverse light.

demon_GR

Sigh �� Yeah I thought the same thing. I'm afraid to force it though.

Any idea why radio would die from a dead battery issue? Let alone locked up glove box?

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't most VW radio head units need a code to activate them? Is it possible the car was without a charge for long enough that the radio needs to be reactivated at a dealer?

aralani

Have you checked the fuses?

Along the same lines, one of my fuses blew last year, and the dealer warned me that if I pulled the wrong fuse and it was the radio, the radio wouldn't work (security in case of theft). It doesn't explain your other problems, but it's something to check.

demon_GR

I did check the fuses. Didn't see any blown. The dealer also checked and since no blown fuses they said maybe a wiring issue. That, didn't make sense to me and still it came back negative.

The dealer is trying to wash their hands clean on this blaming me for letting my battery run flat so long. Whatever it is, I'd like to know so that I can decide wether to pay for a used unit or what not and how to avoid this happening again in a few years etc.

It's odd and very unlikely that the unit would die just due to dead batt. All other issues have been dealt with. Just radio remains.

Thanks for insight and or help.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
If it's a code issue, the radio will still power up and prompt you for the code before you can do anything else with it.

It's not possible for the glove box to lock itself, it's a mechanical latch. No wires running to it.

Did you also check the fuse in the back of the radio, or just the one in the fuse panel?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
These radios (if original from factory) are paired to the car and don't require a code unless they are installed into another car, can you get hold of another vw radio and temporarily connect it to see if it powers up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JetTurbo

geezer
If it's a code issue, the radio will still power up and prompt you for the code before you can do anything else with it. ...

Exactly, the unit has to first power up before security code can be considered.

... Did you also check the fuse in the back of the radio, or just the one in the fuse panel?

x2 You must pull the head unit to check the fuse in the back.
Has anyone pulled the head unit to check the rear panel fuse?

These radios (if original from factory) are paired to the car and don't require a code unless they are installed into another car, ...
That is true. I have swapped a few head units over the years, it is interesting how that works.

Each time the unit has lost all power (battery disconnect, harness disconnect, etc.), upon power restore,
it checks an external stored location in another controller for the code (I think it is the instrument cluster)
and if the correct code is there, the head unit enters the code itself.

If the correct code is not stored, it will ask for its security code.
When the code is entered correctly,
the head unit stores the code in a secure section of another controller,
so future power loss / power restore cycles will "auto logon" so to speak.

... can you get hold of another vw radio and temporarily connect it to see if it powers up?

You would have to pull the head unit to swap another one in.
So before hunting out an alternate head unit,
pull yours and check the rear panel fuse.