GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my glove box hates cold weather.

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone else have an issue with the latch on their glove box sticking inside the glove box door when it's cold? I usually have to pry it out with a knife or something to get it to pop back out, then pray it latches. car is a 14 GTI

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
If you screw the screw too tight that holds in the handle u can't open it. Not sure if that's related or not. I hate the latch tho I'd rather have a red pull strap.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
What really sucks is when the latch breaks. I had that happen on my mk4. I went to open the glovebox and the latch just popped right off. For a while I was able to open it by sticking my fingers in the hole and I could figure out what I need to do to open it. Then one day all that stuff inside there broke and I couldn't open my glovebox at all anymore. Then on another day I needed to open it so I could get my wheel lock out, so I saw sawzalled that shit open. Turns out my wheel lock wasn't in there anyway.

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
I think you guys are misunderstanding what I'm saying when I say latch. I mean the "catch" that protrudes from the left side of the glove box door. It gets stuck inside the mechanism. Since this wasn't obvious I'm gonna guess this is unique to me lol

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Mine is a '14, had this happen when it was fairly new. Not due to cold, not down here anyway! Could be the heat or cold, maybe adverse temps either way affect it, I don't know.
But I had same issues as you, noticed the catch would stick inside, I had to pry the thing open a few times, and then the whole latch broke. Dealer replaced the whole door, said the catch wasn't fixable! It was still under warranty. 110k miles now, latch has been fine ever since. Do you slam your glove box door? Try closing it gently. Not saying you DO slam it, but I notice a lot of guys like to slam things instead of closing them normally, including the car doors themselves. WHAM! goes the door. Why? It's just not necessary, then they wonder why things break or go prematurely bad.

torga

Autocross Champion
How cold? Lows got to 10-15F some days this past winter where I'm at and the glovebox was fine. Lows were usually around 20-25F, though.

Braunschwagen

Just to be clear, I am refering to the tabs on the glovebox door that will not pop back out after opening the door. It then hangs open with the tabs retracted into the door. It has happened since new, and I am the original owner. Since it's not that cold for that long here (3-4 mo), and I don't use my glovebox very often, I keep forgetting about it, but it seems to always happen when it is around 40°F or lower. My daughter usually ends up coaxing the tabs back out of the glovebox door with her fingernails and getting it to close again. I don't slam it, but I don't push it closed either.
I DO yell at people for slamming my car doors! Especially the rears. Seems they are lighter than people think.:)

I am going to try getting ahold of some graphite powder and give that a shot. Seems to me that the plastic tabs stick or bind somehow, which is weird because you would think it would be worse in the summer. I'll report back if I have any luck!