GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Your tune isn't so secret anymore....

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I hate GM with every bone in my body.

But I have to say, even they have VW covered as far as tuning goes.

You don't hate them enough. :) Had GMs exclusively for 13 years......Until they drop a Z06 in my driveway with a sign "Repayment of bailout loan with interest" they can pound a whole desert island of sand. ;)

And of course when the VW breaks under warranty you get a loaner. When a GM breaks under warranty they offer to have the shuttle drop you off anywhere within 10 miles. :rolleyes:

We convinced McQueen......we'll get you too Stocktastic.....and you're little GTI too. :D :D

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
And of course when the VW breaks under warranty you get a loaner. When a GM breaks under warranty they offer to have the shuttle drop you off anywhere within 10 miles. :rolleyes:

Reverse experience here.

Wow, your dealership sucked. Twice my C5 was in for service and they gave me another C5 to drive, and when my 99SS was in once for an axle issue they gave me a C5 FRC to drive for 3 days. Going that extra mile earned them my business, my SS was the second car from them, my C5 was the third, now I'm on number 7 with my C6.

My VW was out on day 3 of my ownership experience due to a PDI failure (they obviously didn't do one) and they refused to give me a car and left me only with a ride back to work (75 miles from home).

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Reverse experience here.

Wow, your dealership sucked. Twice my C5 was in for service and they gave me another C5 to drive, and when my 99SS was in once for an axle issue they gave me a C5 FRC to drive for 3 days. Going that extra mile earned them my business, my SS was the second car from them, my C5 was the third, now I'm on number 7 with my C6.

My VW was out on day 3 of my ownership experience due to a PDI failure (they obviously didn't do one) and they refused to give me a car and left me only with a ride back to work (75 miles from home).

Very weird....since my experience with GM and no loaner covered 3 vehicles and 5 dealerships. One was a factory recall on a 4wd module that we scheduled the appointment for THE DAY WE BOUGHT THE VEHICLE.....lol.....

Wish more dealerships understood what your GM dealer does.....service after the sale. But like I said, I am done with GM. Outside of the Vette they have nothing worth driving and if I need a truck again Ford's got me covered. :cool:

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I think people are understandably concerned that VWoA might use a $600 tune to deny warranty coverage for some very expensive repairs. For example, the DSG transmission is rated to 350NM (~260 pound feet) of torque, and Stage 1 puts you over that number. Do you have $5000+ for a new DSG transmission? We know the transmission can do way more than that and that they've failed even while stock, but VWoA could deny warranty coverage by simply pointing to the tune. And in practice, it may be on you to prove otherwise.

I know, pay to play and all, but still, it would help if VW was more clear on what won't get covered so we can take that into account when deciding to tune.

I hate to necro this post, but consider this: there are at least 2 versions of the 6 speed DSG transmission. The original 2003 design had multiplate wet clutches (DQ250/02E) and was rated at 350Nm. The seven speed DQ200 introduced in 2008 had single plate dry clutches and is rated at 250Nm. The question in my mind, for those who have the DSG...is the 6 speed still multiplate wet clutch? If that's the case, then you have less to worry about with increased torque loads. Having several plates to spread the torque across reduces the stress on each plate, and having wet clutches helps keep them significantly cooler. If the DSG in the late Mk5 and the Mk6 is single plate dry clutch, I would be careful about overloading it...

Edit: If someone can find out exactly what the parts prefix of their transmission is, I will do some homework to find out the details. If you bought your car new, you should have a sticker (may not actually be applied, may still be on a backing) that should have been included with the owner's manual in the glovebox. It may alternatively be in the trunk near the spare. Just look for a sticker with a bunch of 3 character codes on it...should say engine, transmission, installed options, etc...

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
I hate to necro this post, but consider this: there are at least 2 versions of the 6 speed DSG transmission. The original 2003 design had multiplate wet clutches (DQ250/02E) and was rated at 350Nm. The seven speed DQ200 introduced in 2008 had single plate dry clutches and is rated at 250Nm. The question in my mind, for those who have the DSG...is the 6 speed still multiplate wet clutch? If that's the case, then you have less to worry about with increased torque loads. Having several plates to spread the torque across reduces the stress on each plate, and having wet clutches helps keep them significantly cooler. If the DSG in the late Mk5 and the Mk6 is single plate dry clutch, I would be careful about overloading it...

Edit: If someone can find out exactly what the parts prefix of their transmission is, I will do some homework to find out the details. If you bought your car new, you should have a sticker (may not actually be applied, may still be on a backing) that should have been included with the owner's manual in the glovebox. It may alternatively be in the trunk near the spare. Just look for a sticker with a bunch of 3 character codes on it...should say engine, transmission, installed options, etc...

I'm pretty sure the DSG on the US spec GTI is the 6 speed wet one. And to be honest, I'm more concerned about something like being one of the rare people with Mechtronics problems than slipping the clutch plates, especially at Stage 1. :)

BTW, here's what my last VCDS autoscan says about mine. Hopefully this helps:

Code:
Address 02: Auto Trans        Labels: 02E-300-0xx.lbl
   Part No SW: 02E 300 057 C    HW: 02E 927 770 AL
   Component: GSG DSG AG6     511 2724  
   Revision: 05351113    Serial number: 00001107201098
   Coding: 0000020
   Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
   VCID: 1933EFD6D08293B

No fault code found.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Also, FWIW, a new Mechtronics seems to be only $1300 online. Not sure if that's accurate though.

This page shows replacement prices as of 2009 for both the DSG and manual transmission. Very interesting stuff.

Okay, done threadjacking. :)

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I'm pretty sure the DSG on the US spec GTI is the 6 speed wet one. And to be honest, I'm more concerned about something like being one of the rare people with Mechtronics problems than slipping the clutch plates, especially at Stage 1. :)

BTW, here's what my last VCDS autoscan says about mine. Hopefully this helps:

Code:
Address 02: Auto Trans        Labels: 02E-300-0xx.lbl
   Part No SW: 02E 300 057 C    HW: 02E 927 770 AL
   Component: GSG DSG AG6     511 2724  
   Revision: 05351113    Serial number: 00001107201098
   Coding: 0000020
   Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
   VCID: 1933EFD6D08293B

No fault code found.

Yeah, multiplate wet clutch, I would say if the schematics are correct, 4 discs each. Can't find anything on clutch diameter...but I would say that the clutch packs themselves can take some abuse. I would just watch the fluid temperature, possibly add a bigger cooler...