GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #141
xHeartcoreboyx
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: '10 CW 2DR GTI DSG
Oh man. I really hope you get it all sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone with typos

xHeartcoreboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #142
Matteo[V]
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: Golf GTI Mk6
Thanks Brņ...

Damage: 4.000,00 euro

Sent by Galaxy GTI-9505
Old 12-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #143
nitroscope8
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2013 GLI autobahn w/nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo[V] View Post
Hi guys...
I'm sad... my gti 2009 is dead... chain tensioner was down and I wreck all 2.0tsi engine.
The problem was that my car have 92000 km and 4 years and 1 month life and Volkswagen Italy wasn't pay anthing cause the warranty was end.
I had spoken with a volkswagen's call-center idiot but nothing. I order to repair car but after I will give all to my lawyer.
I read that in all Europe there was an official technical bulletin and I hope will have something by VW... This is the six golf in my family
I will write to Volkswangen.de to inform about this misadventure... 'cause VW-Italy are very poor and unprofessional.
After all I will gift to GTI rear ledtails )))
Why does everyone feel they are entitled to free repairs AFTER the warranty is over? YOU signed a contract when you got the car stated your warranty is over on X mileage or X date. After that you are on your own. VW will review each issue on a case by case basis and they MAY help you out....no guarantee.

A Technical service bulletin is information for the TECHNICIAN ONLY to help him/her diagnose a vehicle quickly and accurately. In fact, on each page of a TSB it states very clearly that the document is not to be copied, printed, given out, saved, downloaded, etc......

Unless you get a letter from Volkswagen group that states very clearly, "Timing chain tensioner warranty extension to xxxx date and xxxx miles," you are footing the bill.

If you get a lawyer then the only person paying will be you writing a check to your lawyer and your dealer.
nitroscope8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #144
Thumper
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 15 Audi S3/'15 Audi S4/'15 328dx SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
Why does everyone feel they are entitled to free repairs AFTER the warranty is over? YOU signed a contract when you got the car stated your warranty is over on X mileage or X date. After that you are on your own. VW will review each issue on a case by case basis and they MAY help you out....no guarantee.
Entitlement society? Ever since McDonald's paid that lady for spilling coffee on herself it's been going downhill.

I especially love when people whine that extended warranties are a scam and then bitch because they had a large repair come up just out of factory warranty. LOL
2015 Alpine White BMW 328dX Touring M-Sport
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #145
Matteo[V]
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: Golf GTI Mk6
Quote:

A Technical service bulletin is information for the TECHNICIAN ONLY to help him/her diagnose a vehicle quickly and accurately. In fact, on each page of a TSB it states very clearly that the document is not to be copied, printed, given out, saved, downloaded, etc......

Unless you get a letter from Volkswagen group that states very clearly, "Timing chain tensioner warranty extension to xxxx date and xxxx miles," you are footing the bill.

If you get a lawyer then the only person paying will be you writing a check to your lawyer and your dealer.
You're right but... a lots of gti my2009 have this problem and the chain tensioner replaced are totally different than the old version... I think it's not a break caused by drive style or poor maintenance... it's caused by costruction defect.

Sent by Galaxy GTI-9505
Old 12-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #146
Thumper
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 15 Audi S3/'15 Audi S4/'15 328dx SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo[V] View Post
I think it's not a break caused by drive style or poor maintenance... it's caused by costruction defect.
FYI, the warranty is specifically there to cover construction defect.......there is no other purpose for the warranty. Poor maintenance and drive style are specifically excluded by the warranty as abuse or neglect. Therefore, you answered your own question......this is a construction defect, covered by warranty......and the warranty has expired.......

It sucks dude, really, and if they pay for it great, but I would not waste money on a lawyer because it's just going to be another bill for YOU to pay.
2015 Alpine White BMW 328dX Touring M-Sport
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #147
nitroscope8
Autocross Newbie

I understand. It's a crappy thing to have to pay for... I agree. The warranty covers defects in material and workmanship for 5 years 60k miles here in North America. That means if a defect in material or workmanship AFTER this would be YOUR responsibility.

If you pay for a repair out of warranty it is covered for material and workmanship (dealer labor) for 12 months 12k miles. That means if after 100 miles and 13 months it fails again, YOU once again pay for labor. This is pretty much an industry standard.

Again, I understand your troubles and I would hate for it to happen to me. Understand where you stand before opening the legal can of whoop-ass. Your lawyer will NOT win over Volkswagen group of Italy.

I actually replaced the tensioner as a preventative measure on my wifes 10 tiguan. My GLI has the updated part already installed.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #148
GTI2.0
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 6SM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_Jersey_GTi View Post
TOB squeal / failure.

But yes, i think that's it.
This causes premature clutch/flywheel failure too.

I can't think of anything else either.
GTI2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #149
2010_Jersey_GTi
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Uni Stg 2+ MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom@APTuning View Post
I didn't read through the whole thread but figured I would throw some info I came across recently if not already covered. My wife's 2011 CC popped a cel and was running like poop randomly when pulling out from a stop the other week(this is her description so take it as you will lol) . I figured it was just a coil. I never got to scan it but since it was still under warranty might as well let the dealer fix it rather then me putting money into it. I know the 2 main service advisors there so knew it was in good hands.

Well the next day the one calls and informs me it was the tensioner and that it skipped a tooth and had a correlation fault I think it was. Knock on wood it only skipped and didn't completely fail causing catastrophic damage.

The reason Im bringing this up is they replaced everything, not just the tensioner. Also they had specifically mentioned there was an updated chain(looked noticeably different). Obviously they have ran into this issue before but never had a different chain.

Im not aware of any known chain issues that weren't initially related to the tensioner failure, but if doing the fix it might not be a bad idea to look into that as well while its apart.

Please post a list of everything they replaced. I was going to do the HS Tuning Kit but I guess now I'll be adding the revised chain too.

Thanks!
2010_Jersey_GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #150
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom@APTuning View Post
I didn't read through the whole thread but figured I would throw some info I came across recently if not already covered. My wife's 2011 CC popped a cel and was running like poop randomly when pulling out from a stop the other week(this is her description so take it as you will lol) . I figured it was just a coil. I never got to scan it but since it was still under warranty might as well let the dealer fix it rather then me putting money into it. I know the 2 main service advisors there so knew it was in good hands.

Well the next day the one calls and informs me it was the tensioner and that it skipped a tooth and had a correlation fault I think it was. Knock on wood it only skipped and didn't completely fail causing catastrophic damage.

The reason Im bringing this up is they replaced everything, not just the tensioner. Also they had specifically mentioned there was an updated chain(looked noticeably different). Obviously they have ran into this issue before but never had a different chain.

Im not aware of any known chain issues that weren't initially related to the tensioner failure, but if doing the fix it might not be a bad idea to look into that as well while its apart.
wow.. thanks for posting this, good info there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_Jersey_GTi View Post
Please post a list of everything they replaced. I was going to do the HS Tuning Kit but I guess now I'll be adding the revised chain too.

Thanks!
+1...

I've thought about doing this if I plan to keep the car long term.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #151
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
Quote:
I actually replaced the tensioner as a preventative measure on my wifes 10 tiguan. My GLI has the updated part already installed.
what is the build date of the change and is that a newer/revised tensioner then, as indicated in the most recent posts here?

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #152
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
New tensioners were manufactured August 2012, I've heard maybe September 2012 they started going in the cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #153
nitroscope8
Autocross Newbie

They went overboard with the parts. Probably get kicked under warranty and they will foot the bill.

I've checked build dates of jan and feb of 2013 and they use the updated tensioner.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #154
nitroscope8
Autocross Newbie

I offer customers a very inexpensive preventative measure. Replace the timing chain tensioner, lower case cover, and crank bolt. Usually people with 100k on the engine will opt for that AND the upper adjustment valve(bolt) upper guide (one that always breaks when you remove it) and cam adjustment block with screen that always breaks.

The repair is still cheaper than a TDI timing belt replacement so it isn't a bad sell if there are some miles on the engine. Biggest issue on this engine is the crank gear. Anyone who knows a TSI knows this is not even secure and can skip teeth VERY easily.