GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

does anyone actually use factory NAV?

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
I personally love the RNS-315. It's easy to use, and it just works.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
my mk6 had navigation and i rarely used it. sometimes i forget theres navigation too. i use google maps and memorize the route just like when i used to deliver pizza

The Yetti

Ready to race!
I'm glad you asked this because I was curious about this last night. I was driving home and my friend asked me why I always used my phone instead of the nav and I honestly forgot it was there. I used it for like a week and then realized I would much rather be using Waze (DC is full of speed traps). I actually don't even look at the map either. Only time I will is if Waze isn't already on (I pretty much always run waze, not for nav but for the alerts) and need to quickly check if there's a side street or another way around something.

I might turn it on tonight and see what I haven't been missing out on. But Kenu Ventclip + Coiled Phone Charger + Phone with Waze = Best Nav system.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
I keep it on display and use it from time to time. The best help is that you have a map representation without looking at your phone, and it shows the speed limit on most roads!

Desertnate

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't use a GPS system very often, but I do use mine. I tend to use it more on longer destinations whereas I might use my phone for local locations that might not be in the GPS.

I'd probably use my phone more if I had a good place and means to mount the phone in the car. As it is, there is no good place to put the phone where it's in view and easy to get to while driving.

The one thing I don't like is how quickly the maps get out of date. Shortly after I got my GTI a new stretch of highway was opened up in my area and my GPS instantly became useless in that part of town.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
I keep it on display and use it from time to time. The best help is that you have a map representation without looking at your phone, and it shows the speed limit on most roads!

Yeah, I love how we have the speed readouts. :D

iSpeed

Passed Driver's Ed
I use mine for 2 reasons.

1. To simply see the road option when I'm driving. I'm always looking for new routes in this shit traffic.
2. To keep the screen moving so it doesnt burn an image on the display. For some reason I'm paranoid that is gonna happen.

My smartphone is a slow POS and running Google Maps on it drains my battery in 10 mins every time. Plus, smartphones are not hands-free. You cant even touch your cell phone while driving in Hawaii. Its a $276 ticket. I've had 2 already...

engineered2win

Ready to race!
I have an RNS-510 rev C that I use on trips. I use Google maps on my phone for anything close by, since it's faster to program a destination and provides traffic updates/rerouting. I had a Pioneer Z130BT and comparing it to the RNS or Google, the RNS is pretty good. Sure it might not take the absolute fastest route that Google would choose, but it gets you there and is relatively logical. I would have the Pioneer tell me to make a right turn and go around the block instead of just making a left; you could never trust the directions without looking over the route to make sure it wasn't telling you to get off the highway at an exit, only to take back roads to the next entrance and get back on. I'm considering upgrading to a newer, faster RNS-510 with Sirius traffic, bluetooth metadata and AVRCP. I would use it much more often with voice command if it were faster from a cold boot.

Last edited:

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I use my RNS-510 nav all the time, I especially like that it shows the turns in the MFD. Easier to use than shifting gears + using my cell phone.

Desertnate

Passed Driver's Ed
I use my RNS-510 nav all the time, I especially like that it shows the turns in the MFD. Easier to use than shifting gears + using my cell phone.

Agree. The MFD cues are great and trying to manipulate the phone while on a twisty road or in traffic while shifting is a non-starter.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

Agreed. I love the MFD readout, that makes it so much easier to just glance at.