GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear VW Emblem Removal

vdoobie

Ready to race!
Hi guys, there's probably a whole mess of threads on this but I don't want to search.

I've been wanting to Plasti Dip my rear emblem, and I would like to know how to remove it. So if anyone could lead me the right way or perhaps leave a DIY on here, I'll greatly appreciate it. :)

Thank you

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
It is easy! Took me three minutes yesterday to figure it out. Easiest way is just to use an old credit card and slip it underneath. There is a little slot on the bottom that you can just slip it into, then work your way around the underneath portion. Go along the right side edge with the card and it will pop right off!

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Credit card method is definitely the best way to go. Just make sure you take your time or you could crack it pretty easily.

vdoobie

Ready to race!
Does the back part that's black come off with the emblem too? I wanted to color match that with the car (white) and then spray the emblem black.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Nope, to get that off you're going to have to do some work inside the hatch. Probably easier to mask the whole rear end of the car from what I hear lol.

rcopp

Ready to race!
Taking the whole black part out is easy! Takes maybe 5 minutes, just take off the rear lining, and theres 3 screws that hold it on, then it just twists off and comes out.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Does the back part that's black come off with the emblem too? I wanted to color match that with the car (white) and then spray the emblem black.

That's what I wanted to do too. Keep your cw brothers updated :)

Ps VW sells vinyl inserts in different colors for the black partition, I have been told.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Taking the whole black part out is easy! Takes maybe 5 minutes, just take off the rear lining, and theres 3 screws that hold it on, then it just twists off and comes out.

I've heard of it taking people an hour or more... maybe they are just incompetent haha.

rcopp

Ready to race!
Really? Wow I did it just the other day while I had the lining off in about a minute and had never done it before. I might be painting that thing white soon, too and wanted to see how hard it would be to take it out.

SlammedGTi1

Okay, so If u take off the emblem..then the black piece behind it...is it just cw under neath all that..I'd like to have no emblems at all

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
@OP: Just follow some of these steps if you haven't finished it already! I would recommend this versus masking off your rear. I would hate to get even small paint particles anywhere on my car.

Got mine done yesterday! :D

REMEMBER TO UNLOCK THE ENTIRE CAR AND NOT JUST POP OPEN THE HATCH WHEN DOING THIS WORK!

It's simple! It took me about half an hour plus the time I spent trying to get my keys out of my car after I locked them in... I locked both key fobs in the car and had to use my valet key--pop off the keyhole cover on the driver's door and unlock--and the car was locked, so the alarm went off and I had to crawl through my car to the trunk to get the keys, because the car disabled the unlocking due to the alarm.

1. So pop open your hatch, and remove the two screws in the grab slots using a torx screw driver (forgot what size).

2. Remove the access panels on the far sides of the hatch panel and begin to pop off the clips, starting from the bottom of the panel (edge closer to the ground when hatch is closed) and work your way up.

Here is the inside of the panel to find the clips

There are four on the bottom edge, one clip right next to each access panel, then eight clips up top--four major clips and two minor clips on both top corners.

The panel off appears like this

3. Now go the outside of the hatch and remove the dust cover of the wiper (starting from left to right--pop off the left side then pull it off), then the bolt holding on the wiper. I used a door panel remover to wedge and wiggle to remove the wiper between these two points.

After that, just lift the wiper off.

4. Go back inside and remove the three bolts holding the motor on, and unclip the power and control wire from the motor.

5. Now just slide the motor straight off and you will get this

6. From here, go back outside and pull the rubber seal straight out.
This is the result

7. Zip-tie the motor's power wire, and find a place to store it. I used a piece of synthetic padding to create a stable place against the inside of the hatch latch to keep it in place.

8. Now just wipe down the outside of the hole with 70% Isopryl Alcohol and install your piece! And voila!

9. This last step is just the obvious--to replace your panel and the rest.

Please let me know if I missed any steps, although I'm pretty sure I didn't :)

My de-badged, de-wipered MK6 GTI

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Okay, so If u take off the emblem..then the black piece behind it...is it just cw under neath all that..I'd like to have no emblems at all

If I am not mistaken, it seems like you're wanting to get it shaved? Popping off the VW emblem itself will leave the black surface. The black surface is part of the entire module that unlocks the back door. Take off that module and there's a hole where you can see the inside of your hatch panel.

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
It is easy! Took me three minutes yesterday to figure it out. Easiest way is just to use an old credit card and slip it underneath. There is a little slot on the bottom that you can just slip it into, then work your way around the underneath portion. Go along the right side edge with the card and it will pop right off!

doing this will just pop out the chrome vw right?

so say i wantd to do the background red and the vw black, i would have to take off the plastic interior part of the hatch, take out the three screws, pull the whole assembly out, then do this ^ credit card trick around the chrome to separate that, paint them both, then reinstall in reverse?

and how does the vw go back onto the assembly? glue, clips, or what?

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
I've heard of it taking people an hour or more... maybe they are just incompetent haha.

Really? Wow I did it just the other day while I had the lining off in about a minute and had never done it before. I might be painting that thing white soon, too and wanted to see how hard it would be to take it out.

I guess I'm incompetent then :cry:

When I removed the rear trim, it took me damn close to an hour. At one point I gave up and tried to work around it.

I suppose it's just how ballsy you are. The entire time I really felt like I was going to break something... those clips are immensely strong. My father and I were trying to find clever ways to gently pry them free.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
doing this will just pop out the chrome vw right?

so say i wantd to do the background red and the vw black, i would have to take off the plastic interior part of the hatch, take out the three screws, pull the whole assembly out, then do this ^ credit card trick around the chrome to separate that, paint them both, then reinstall in reverse?

and how does the vw go back onto the assembly? glue, clips, or what?

Yes sir! The credit card trick will just pop the chrome off. When I end up painting my inner portion, I will take off the entire piece instead of leaving it on the car because I just would hate to get any spray on my actual car, no matter how well covered up it is. Yes sir! The way I want to do it is:

1. Remove entire assembly through the inside.
2. Remove chrome "VW" and scuff it up to allow better paint adhesion.
3. Scuff up black background portion.
4. Cover up the holes on the background portion for the "VW" clips with masking tape just enough to protect the hidden section from paint.
5. Spray the background and "VW" separately.
6. Remove masking tape and let dry then re-assemble.

I guess I'm incompetent then :cry:

When I removed the rear trim, it took me damn close to an hour. At one point I gave up and tried to work around it.

I suppose it's just how ballsy you are. The entire time I really felt like I was going to break something... those clips are immensely strong. My father and I were trying to find clever ways to gently pry them free.

Those clips are damn strong! You should really go buy a interior panel removing kit from Autozone or something in order to protect from breaking clips. I broke one clip in the process and I plan to replace the entire rear panel at some point. They are only about $80 from GenuineVWAudiParts.com

Last edited: