GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 2+(K04) Impressions

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
^This is with the same exact hardware. The only difference is a 10-15 degree difference in ambient temps (colder on the APR run)

EDIT: shit I'm sorry. I will bump the thread once the link is fixed.

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
The MAF is no higher in the end, the Uni logs were let off earlier than the previous file he was using.

This is not correct. OP has the graphs.

Map limit is above 2550, vagcom just can read above it, so if he was over 2550 which he could have been (not saying he was since I do not have a boost gauge on his car to me , lol) his graphs would show even more variance. Plus there are alot of posts one here that guys spike to ~24psi which is above the MAP read value in vagcom so you cant see it, but if the logs show 2550 for a few hundred rpm then bingo even higher

Map on the TSI can read over 2 bar to the ECU

I'm not exactly sure what was said here, maybe some typos?

The limit of the sensor is 2550. You cannot see higher than this in vag-com.

some want this thread locked, please remember that.

Not us. Do not care.

I think it would be nice to see both tunes overlapped on the same scale (perhaps APR solid, Unitronic dotted). You can't really compare the logs 1 to 1 since they were ran at different times, but still nice to see nonetheless.

Agreed. The OP now has these graphs and can post them if he would like.

Bronson, I think the main reason a few people have switched is because APR does have a misfire issue at idle/crusing speeds (for a few of us at least). We want to see what exactly is different between these two tunes, and that is why I am interested in seeing these logs.

I have not seen cruising or idle misfires from customers. Are you contacting tech support with these issues? Are you running the correct file, on top tier correct gasoline? Did you always have these problems or did they just start randomly one day? Can you feel the misfires, or only see counters in vag-com? Have you looked at spark plugs and coil packs? Are they on one cylinder? If so, have you moved hardware around to see if it follows?

Our k04 software has been out for years now. We have thousands of cars running it. We have internal cars with 90k miles running production software, problem free. If you have a problem, we'd like to help, but I do not believe the blanket statement that our software is bad or has major problems. We's seen over the years, that's just not true.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I had right around 31K on my K04 tune and only had misfires under WOT at peak boost that was fixed by R8 coilpacks. No other problems from there.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Hey grambles, can you take a look at why my attachment won't display on the last page? I sent you a PM about it. Thanks

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Hey grambles, can you take a look at why my attachment won't display on the last page? I sent you a PM about it. Thanks

Which post?

KaJ

Ready to race!
This is not correct. OP has the graphs.

I'm not exactly sure what was said here, maybe some typos?

The limit of the sensor is 2550. You cannot see higher than this in vag-com.

Not us. Do not care.

Agreed. The OP now has these graphs and can post them if he would like.

I have not seen cruising or idle misfires from customers. Are you contacting tech support with these issues? Are you running the correct file, on top tier correct gasoline? Did you always have these problems or did they just start randomly one day? Can you feel the misfires, or only see counters in vag-com? Have you looked at spark plugs and coil packs? Are they on one cylinder? If so, have you moved hardware around to see if it follows?

Our k04 software has been out for years now. We have thousands of cars running it. We have internal cars with 90k miles running production software, problem free. If you have a problem, we'd like to help, but I do not believe the blanket statement that our software is bad or has major problems. We's seen over the years, that's just not true.

Arin, I'm not attacking you guys at all, just wanted my car running at 100%. Here is my thread (you even replied in it): http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37169

I've emailed/pm'd you multiple times while trying to fix the issue. You asked me to contact Chris, which I did. He kept replying, "waiting on engineering". I followed up a few times, he just ignored me and never replied. I expected much better from you tech support.

Issue in a nutshell: Misfires on cold start/cruising. Felt and logged via VCDS (I've already sent them to both you and Chris).

I've changed plugs 3x, coils 3x, swapped to APR intake, checked MAF, and cleaned my intake valves. PureMS spent a lot of time trying to fix it, checking for the correct tune, reflashing, etc. This issue only started to occur right when I went APR K04.

Don't get me wrong, I have loved APR hardware and software before, I'm just having issues with my K04 tune and have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to live with it or switch tunes.

Knight

Ready to race!
Can you PM me your email address?

lol the OP had an issue with his car, he called APR for support and you couldn't fix it, neither replying to some of his emails.

Now he goes public and Suddenly, he has your attention :lol:

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
I would say one out of every four UNI logs pull a little timing randomly in one cylinder only. If anyone wants to see ALL of the data used in these comparisons PM me and I will email them to you. I also have logs I chose not to use to be fair. The lower graphs show the very random, one out of every four runs, minor timing pull on the UNI software. I mostly get 0's across every cylinder. These tunes seem to have a different thought process behind them. It is interesting.

These graphs were done by ARIN@APR, and to be clear, the worst UNI run was used in this. I have 4 done back to back and only one pulled timing:

]

Please note the red and blue is reversed on this lambda graph:

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
With everything on the same scale, it's easier to compare:

Notes:

As you can see, we're running similar lambdas near the end of the pull.

APR's running more boost than unitronic. This will mean higher mass airflow which is seen in the mass airflow log and lower ignition advance as seen in the ignition log.

I'm not sure how our file will interact with water meth compared to Unitronic. The calibration can be setup to advance more when the sensor sees colder IAT's, but our calibration's not setup to aggressively add ignition based on IAT because we don't know if it's cold weather, or water/meth. I rather take the safe side on that. You should run a log with w/m off for your own comparison. Ignition advance flatlines likely because it pulled timing near redline. How quickly the ECU adds back timing when it's pulled is another calibrated parameter and we may differ in this area.

Last edited: