GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Looking into the Enkei Performance PDC wheels, but they're 8" instead of my 7.5" Detroits. Is it that much of a different and would they rub more? Also would I still be able to put a 225 Michelin PSS on a 8" tire or would it be stretched?

It depends on the offset too, btw

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
So I was changing my oil the other day and decided I should probably check the timing chain tensioner. I have a 2013, so I assume I would have the updated one but something like this I don’t exactly want to assume.

After watching the humble mechanic video on it he recommends getting a new plug after you pry your old one off in case you warp the cover and could develop oil leaks. Is this something that should be ordered, or is it a very remote chance of happening?? I’d happily order one, just want to know if it’s something everyone usually does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC you don't need to take the timing cover off the mechanism to check what revision you are... I know Jay745 could clarify as he's done a ton of them in Chicago.

KFahey

Ready to race!
So I was changing my oil the other day and decided I should probably check the timing chain tensioner. I have a 2013, so I assume I would have the updated one but something like this I don’t exactly want to assume.

After watching the humble mechanic video on it he recommends getting a new plug after you pry your old one off in case you warp the cover and could develop oil leaks. Is this something that should be ordered, or is it a very remote chance of happening?? I’d happily order one, just want to know if it’s something everyone usually does.

I would just replace the plug it's super cheap, I replaced mine when I checked.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
My driver side door started squeaking. Should I just apply some lithium grease myself or is that a bad idea?
That's fine it might leave some white residue on the hinge but it will stop squeaking

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
The spray can lithium grease works well. Have had no issues with that on 2 cars now

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
this. It leaves a white residue on the hinges til it wears off and i probably could wipe it up but it works well and it has stayed lubricated for a long time

Dub_Polo

Ready to race!
Looking into buying a second hand eurojet TBE but its CBFA and my car is CCTA, will it work on my car?

DarienMidnight

Ready to race!
Do you have smog in Maryland? If not just get a catless downpipe.

Yes emissions are strict here . Some people know their way around it . As for me I did emissions February 2018. Then I did stage 2 with the catted downpipe. Trust me I could have been catless if it were less strict here. So now my decision is Resonator delete or Buy another downpipe which that will be catless.

Sad thing is . I'm with APR . I bought their downpipe as well as fully loaded ecu. They said there should be no CEL with appropriate files and o2 spacer. Yet I got it 5 times now ...it doesn't stay on ...on and off every other week . Frustrating . Should have went catless for all this .

The code read P0036 something with o2 sensor ? Anyone have more knowledge on that code?

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Yes emissions are strict here . Some people know their way around it . As for me I did emissions February 2018. Then I did stage 2 with the catted downpipe. Trust me I could have been catless if it were less strict here. So now my decision is Resonator delete or Buy another downpipe which that will be catless.

Sad thing is . I'm with APR . I bought their downpipe as well as fully loaded ecu. They said there should be no CEL with appropriate files and o2 spacer. Yet I got it 5 times now ...it doesn't stay on ...on and off every other week . Frustrating . Should have went catless for all this .

The code read P0036 something with o2 sensor ? Anyone have more knowledge on that code?

Bummer on emissions. One thing to consider if I change states haha jk. I’d invest in a catback unless you have one already. Avoid CTS products. Hit or miss fitment, mostly miss though lol. I’d suggest trying to get your tune reflashed. Are you on the updated tune? 2.1 or 2 or 3? Can’t remember what revision they are on now. Only CEL I’ve had lately is my gas cap. Fine some days and others not.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
I got my rear subframe deadset kit in the mail, so soon I'll be raising the whole rear. I have one good floor jack and two jack stands. Basically my question is how the "lift points" work. There are the regular old jack points on the rocker panels like every other car, which is where I'll use the floor jack, but how am I supposed to use that lift point with the jack stands? There are plastic covers there, do they pop off or something? Owners manual says nothing about them.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Typically lift in the front and rear lifts. For example, jack driver front, stand driver rear.
Jack passenger front, stand passenger rear

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dub_Polo

Ready to race!
Anyone have any experience with federal 595-SS tires? Local tuning shop is having a sale and they only $65 a tire, worth it?