GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gunkata’s “S3” A3 2.0T Quattro K04 Build

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Past Ride: 2011 GTI http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13169&highlight=gunkata+gti+build

2011 S-Line, S-Tronic (DSG) - Purchased used with 9500 miles on 5/30/2012. Traded in my 2011 GTI Autobahn 6MT for it.

Mod list:

APR K04 - installed 6/14/12
S3 FMIC - installed 6/30/12, later swapped out for Godspeed V2.
BB Downpipe catted and resonated - installed 7/16/12
HPA SHS Coilovers (KW V1's made to HPA's Specs) - installed 7/16/12
Carbonio Intake, Stage 1 - Dec 2012
VDO Boost Gauge, mounted on steering column - installed 7/16/12
Stoptech ST40 328mm BBK (black, slotted rotors) from the GTI - SOLD
Milltek Resonated Catback Exhaust - Oct 2012
H&R 24mm FSB / 26mm RSB, both set to soft - Oct 2012
R8 Coilpacks / NGK Plugs from HS Tuning - Nov 11, 2012, installed by SkullV.
S2T Paddle Shifters – true replacements, 11/17/12
Euro spec OEM LED outer tail lights (gets rid of side light and replaces red turn signal with amber ones) 11/21/12

BFI Stage 1 Torque insert
Haldex Race Controller 4/6/13 - sold 7/26/13
Neuspeed K04-specific TOP 4/6/13 - sold 7/21/13
Later using AWE S3 TOP - May 2014

Dyno'd on a Mustang Dyno on a very hot day in August, 2012 - ran 252whp, 267wtq. For reference, a stock 2013 S4 put down 264hp / 270tq, and an RS4 did 290whp/300wtq.

Grille and fog surrounds vinyl wrapped in gloss black.
Tint - 30% rear, 50% fronts - Done 6/6/12

To be done:
APR DSG Tune
APR v3.1 K04 update

Wheels / Tires:

18x8.5 VMR V708 Silver RS4 Reps – daily winter setup w/ Hankook V2 all seasons for winter.

Summer/Track: Neuspeed RSE 12’s 18x8 +45 in Gunmetal - w/ Sumitomo HTRZ III’s << sold.

Current track/autox setup: Sparco Tarmacs 17x8 gunmetal, with BFG Rivals 225/45/17

Stock pics:

First morning at home 5/31/12, sorry for some of the blurry photos - didn't realize my wife put on a different lens, a/k/a I am also not a good photographer.

6/7/2012
Got pics tonight with the tinted windows, headlight reflectors, and third brake light, along with VMR's mounted.

^ 4x4 mode in full effect.

6/14/2012 K04 video and feedback

^ pretty much sums it up (the spot on my head is a birthmark, btw). I was able to punch it later in 3rd gear around 3-4k rpms and HOLY SHIT was it just super fast and pulls VERY hard. It reminds me of a smoother Stage 2 STI, if not also faster of course (most likely). Car is still pretty quiet, yet the turbo is louder and does make "monster" sounds here and there.. low noises, etc, haha. Having the S-Tronic really puts the icing on the cake for speed here and keeping the revs up.

Overall, this was definitely worth it. And I also feel fine leaving the stock dp, and adding the S3 FMIC. Today it was almost 90 degrees out and fairly humid, did some more pulls after this and it all seemed good. There is some slight lag below 3k now, but once it hits, it pulls like a freight train and keeps on going. Instant power on tap. When I shift, the needle barely falls, so power just keeps on going from about 3500rpms (a sweet spot) and the thing just rips.

I wasn't sure if this mod would truly be worth it - but it most definitely is :D My wife has no idea, and I think she's wondering why I'm in such a good mood :lol:

6/16/12 - Gloss Black Grille Wrap done

7/16/12 Installs - Pics of the coils, debadged the rear, Audi centercaps put on the VMR's:

VDO boost gauge with New South ( I think) column pod mount, bought from ECS. Need to see what it looks like at night, but kinda not impressed at the moment. But hey, anything to save my vents:

big pic:

The ECU will need to learn for a bit before I can fully report back on if the dp and different file/tune really make that big of a difference. One of the only cons of living 5mins away from your tuner.

Coils - so far, VERY impressed, they were actually softer than stock with the 18"s on the way home, so I will do a full review probably tomorrow morning with a new thread on these, but damn I'm extremely surprised and impressed with them. As you can see, I did not go that low at all, about the height as DG springs on the GTI, plus they will still settle some more and we will get it back in the shop in about 2 weeks for alignment and any adjustments on the coils as needed.

BB DP - with the resonator and cat its QUIET. You can barely tell its there, but it gets a tad raspy when stepping on it, nothing horrible at all - also very happy with this piece here as well and hopefully the power comes into play more tomorrow with the ECU learning.

8/25/12 Here's updated pics of the HPA SHS (KW V1) coils, rears slightly raised, and the Stoptech BBK on:

A few pics from Grattan 9/9/12

10/1/12 Autobahn Country Club - Pro pics, very happy with them:

Last edited:

isons429

Ready to race!
Very nice! Looking forward to seeing the progress. :w00t:

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
are those stock wheels 18's or 17's?

can't wait to see this this with the ko4 in it. im guessing itll be a beast!!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
YEAAAAAAAHHHHHH BUDDDDDYYYY

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Marc, those stockers are 17"s. I will most likely be pretty amped tonight and put on the 18" VMRs later, lol.

Yes, it is an S-Line.

Thanks everyone - definitely looking forward to a somewhat sleeperish car (we'll see how long that lasts though), but definitely trying to balance out the DD/luxury with some intense speed, etc.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Enjoy your new ride:congratulations!!

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
Marc, those stockers are 17"s. I will most likely be pretty amped tonight and put on the 18" VMRs later, lol.

Yes, it is an S-Line.

Thanks everyone - definitely looking forward to a somewhat sleeperish car (we'll see how long that lasts though), but definitely trying to balance out the DD/luxury with some intense speed, etc.

lol well if you are in the neighborhood swing by with the wheels. me and joey have to do some work on my car today, we can throw them on if you'd like.... oh and i may be interested in buying the stockers off you since i need a winter set of wheels. :)

im excited for you, i really wish i could have been able to afford the A3. i love the body style, and when that car is lowered it's just pure sex.

Congrats boss! Good luck with the build!

P

plac

damn... you might have seen i was looking at an S4 today.. as my dream car. but i simply do not make enough money to own a car like that. so... i was wondering how close a K04 A3 could come to S4 performance.. i guess im dreaming..

the S4 is my dream.

the A3 could be my reality.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Enjoy your new ride:congratulations!!

thanks Hatuey!

are you going to leave us now???? :cry:

haha, dude - the existence of this thread indicates that I am in fact, NOT leaving!!! ;):cool:

lol well if you are in the neighborhood swing by with the wheels. me and joey have to do some work on my car today, we can throw them on if you'd like.... oh and i may be interested in buying the stockers off you since i need a winter set of wheels. :)

im excited for you, i really wish i could have been able to afford the A3. i love the body style, and when that car is lowered it's just pure sex.

Thanks dude. Yeah, buying used is the way to go most of the time, imho, cos I wouldn't want to buy a new one honestly.

I will let you know on the wheels - i may just throw them on at home tonight in the garage when i get home from the dealer. You would want the stock wheels and tires? not sure if i should get rid of them, as I had to buy your Detroits for a reason , lol (for trading in the GTI)

Congrats boss! Good luck with the build!

:thumbup:

damn... you might have seen i was looking at an S4 today.. as my dream car. but i simply do not make enough money to own a car like that. so... i was wondering how close a K04 A3 could come to S4 performance.. i guess im dreaming..

the S4 is my dream.

the A3 could be my reality.

The S4 was my dream too, but I would have been axe murdered by my wife. It's just a lot of money to spend. I have no idea how the K04 A3 will compare to the S4 honestly. The used A3's are a great pickup, but it is hard to find the 2.0T with quattro sometimes.