GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Single mass fly wheel back to a dual mass?

APdubbin

Ready to race!
Hey guys,
Haven't been active on here since my last clutch replacement.
To set up my situation I'll start off by talking about my last clutch replacement. At 36k my stock clutch began slipping... After looking at multiple clutch options including drop-Ins (which my shop refused to install) I ended up going for the stage 2 daily Southbend clutch. That clutch lasted 60k. I am now at 96k with clutch slippage. If you guys want a review of my experience, I will gladly wrote one.
However, I am here to talk about my current situation. I've been looking into new clutch options. The Sachs option has been the most attractive one, as it is a dual mass flywheel set up and therefore more quiet. It is also more durable than the original stock clutch. This finally gets me to the question I want to ask... Finally.

After going to the Southbend which is currently on my car, a single mass flywheel, can I go back to a dual mass fly wheel set up (Sachs)? The Sachs kit comes with the clutch and pressure plate. No mention of a flywheel.
I'm thinking this can't be done... But I'm asking. So any input would be welcome.
Here's the clutch

http://www.sachsperformance.com/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=331

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Drivetrain/Clutch/ES2598807/

mlody91

Ready to race!
From the looks of it those two links show two very different clutch kits. The first being the upgraded clutch and the other being our OEM clutch.

Also, as flywheels go, looks you'll need your stock dmfw. Hope you kept it.

APdubbin

Ready to race!
Yes my fault on the two different links. But yea thankfully I kept the flywheel.

Why is it the best thing you ever did? What's good about it?

APdubbin

Ready to race!
Also the Sachs clutch says its compatible with your OEM flywheel and releaser. Do I need to have my original releaser as well. Is that changed when they change from dual mass to single mass?

APdubbin

Ready to race!
And what was wrong with the original link I posted? It looks less expensive lol

mlody91

Ready to race!
The original link that you posted was for the upgraded kit but in Euros.....the other link was for the plain OEM Kit which is fine too if you don't plan to go beyond stage 1 and maybe even stage 2 power.

Hell I'm still on the OEM clutch with 80k miles and I've been stage 2 for a good 20k without any slippage (knocks on wood). That kit from ECS may just be enough for you.

APdubbin

Ready to race!
You lucky SOB... I can only dream of 80k. I just want a stronger clutch so I can last longer between replacements. Idk which one I'll choose yet

APdubbin

Ready to race!
Also do I need to get the flywheel resurfaced before reusing?

mlody91

Ready to race!
At 36k I don't think so, but I've never had my clutch replaced so I'm hoping soomeone with more experience can fill in

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
You don't need a new throw out bearing but it is recommended it be replaced when replacing the clutch. The OEM metal is the one you want.

Sachs makes a PP and Disc that only works with stock DMFW so you would need to have your stock flywheel put back in. There is a chance your flywheel would need to be resurfaced. When I installed my drop in disc at 25k miles my stock flywheel had some hot spots and it barely slipped. I would resurface it or buy a new one just for piece of mind.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
And what was wrong with the original link I posted? It looks less expensive lol

I don't think those are the same clutches. At least if the pictures in the ECS link are pictures of the actual product, then it's definitely not the same clutch. The SRE clutch has big green springs and more of them, but that ECS kit has thinner silver springs and only a few of them.