GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs. GLI

brettmag

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum.. I have test driven a 2012 GTI and a 2012 GLI and can't decide which one to get. At my nearest dealership the GTI is about $4,000 more than the GLI with the options I want.

They seemed to drive quite similar, but I'm wanting as many opinions as possible to steer me into the car that would be best for me.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
GTI, hands down. As for the GLI, the 2013 GLI will be much better than the 2012. Almost as nicely appointed as the GTI. However, if it's between 2012's, it not even close if you ask me.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Personally, the only question I would have when deciding between the GLI and the GTI (other thn the obvious feature list already mentioned) is sedan or hatch? I mean, they are totally different cars and types. Not really comparable on the face of it.

brettmag

Passed Driver's Ed
That's good to here they are matching the GTI's feature list. I do like the sportier looks of the GTI and I'm also concerned that the GLI might get lost in the sea of used jettas when I'm ready to sell in 4 years or so. I think the GTI would have better resale value, plus it's a bit lighter.. being made in Germany is awesome also.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
I actually was also trying to decide between the two of these. I test drove the GTI first and, well the sales person had to really try to get me to test drive the GLI. Once I did test drive the GLI I tried to keep an open mind about it, but in the end I felt the GTI drove much better.

brettmag

Passed Driver's Ed
i agree, it does drive better. i wish the jetta gli was sportier looking, but everything behind the grill is pretty bland.

wondering if it's worth the extra $4k though!?

glory

Ready to race!
brett,

I'm from the same city and drove the GLI and the GTI just yesterday back to back. The GTI is definitely a superior car. In my opinion in the GLI you can tell where they cut corners in construction and feel of the car. Overall the GTI is a better car, I believe. I feel that the GTI feels better in all aspects coming from Germany, rather then Mexico in the case of the GLI.

Were you looking at the VW Saskatoon dealership? Which GLI and GTI were you considering with which options?

So overall the GTI>GLI.

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
• The GLI is larger. The rear seat is 38.5 inches verses 35.5 inches for the GTI. Passengers will like it more.
• It also weighs more. The GLI weighs about 20 pounds more than a 4DR GTI and about 100 pounds more than a 2DR GTI.
• It has a longer wheel base by about 3 inches and a longer overall length by almost 1.5 feet (mostly trunk). That will affect handling and feel. (The trunk might make it look more elegant.)
• The GLI has a “sport suspension,” but it is not as sporty as the GTI's. The GTI’s suspension is stiffer and handles better.
• The GLI is also geared differently. The 6MT has longer gaps between gears. The GLI cranks 2,000 rpm at 60 mph compared to 2,370 for the 6MT GTI. If you do a lot of highway travelling, that could make a difference in comfort. (The GLI’s 5th gear has the same ratio as the GTI’s 6th gear.)
• The GLI gets better mileage – better highway gearing and slightly better aerodynamics.
• The GTI is faster (6.3 sec to 60 mph verses 6.8 sec. to 60 mph for the GLI).

brettmag

Passed Driver's Ed
All great feedback. I realize this forum may be a bit biased towards the GTI too, haha!

Glory, thanks for your opinion, really helps. Yes, I've only been to the VW Centre of S'toon so far. Prior to purchasing I will check in Prince Albert and Regina. I drove the GTI about a year ago, it was red with DSG (I would want 6MT) and the cloth seats, which I'm not a big fan of. I drove the black GLI about a month ago and really enjoyed it. I should definitely drive them back to back like you did.

I heard the 2013 GTI's are going to be a new model, but I should do a search throughout the forum for info on that.

Last edited:

brettmag

Passed Driver's Ed
one guy posted that the 2013 GTI has no changes, but the 2013 GLI has xenons and comparable features to the current GTI.

Anyone else verify that the 2013 GTI will be like the 2012's?

glory

Ready to race!
Glory, thanks for your opinion, really helps. Yes, I've only been to the VW Centre of S'toon so far. Prior to purchasing I will check in Prince Albert and Regina. I drove the GTI about a year ago, it was red with DSG (I would want 6MT) and the cloth seats, which I'm not a big fan of. I drove the black GLI about a month ago and really enjoyed it. I should definitely drive them back to back like you did.

Word of caution, the VW in PA is the old management from VW S'toon (I believe). New VW S'toon will find you a GTI/GLI to your liking if its not on the lot. Also, new VW Stoon is easy to work with.

As of this weekend, they have a white 2DR GTI with leather pkg (leather, sunroof), 6MT, and tech pkg (nav, audio, push button start etc). They have a red GLI with the same features as the White GTI as well. I would def try to go ASAP to drive them.

ImmI

Ready to race!