GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just test drove a BRZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
I was really lucky when I dropped by my local Subaru dealer as they had one in stock. It was the base model in Subaru blue. Unfortunately it was an automatic. Sticker price $27,250. The owner Richard indicated that they were lucky to have one in stock as the buyer backed out due to loss of job. They are basically sold out until November and he indicated that Subaru will only build 5,000 this year and that Scion will build 20,000.

Exterior looks - I was pleasantly surprised as it looks better in person then in photos. The stock wheels are too small and not my taste but that is easily fixed.

Interior - at this price point the quality is about what I expect and definitely a notch or two down from the GTI but not bad. It is simple but this is what I expect in a driver's car. One surprise is that it has nav standard. At 6'4" I fit comfortably but any taller and you will be out of luck.

The test drive - Straight line acceleration was slooooow. I attribute this to it being an automatic but don't expect the manual to be great. On the freeway on ramp I put the pedal to the floor and frigging nothing happened. As we were accelerating slowly I ask the owner when they were coming out with the turbo model (at best two to three years as there is more demand then supply currently). A stock DSG GTI will tear up auto BRZ. Handling is awesome. This car is hands done the best handling car I have driven at this price point. If you want better handling you are going to have to step up to a Cayman.

Would I buy one? If I could get it with a turbo motor I would consider it. The motor as it is lacks torque and would make me drive it as if I hate the thing. Handling is top notch and the car would meet my everyday needs otherwise. If they offered it with power levels similar to a stage II TSI this thing would be an absolute beast.

Ethereal

Ready to race!
200 bhp at 7000 rpm and 151 lb.-ft. of torque between 6400–6600 rpm

In an interview with Auto Express UK however, Subaru global marketing manager Atoshi Atake said the BRZ will not be turbocharged due to the lack of room at the front of the engine bay for an intercooler. More importantly, he said that Subaru would “want to keep turbocharging separate. It is for models like the WRX STi.”

mkvince

Go Kart Champion

In an interview with Auto Express UK however, Subaru global marketing manager Atoshi Atake said the BRZ will not be turbocharged due to the lack of room at the front of the engine bay for an intercooler. More importantly, he said that Subaru would “want to keep turbocharging separate. It is for models like the WRX STi.”

But subaru doesn't put the intercooler in the front of the engine bay lol

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
You can make room. Shave the engine a little haha.

jstrau8

Ready to race!

thumbs up Good luck!

Nice post on like 10 threads lol. Gotta get that post count up!!!

livefast

Ready to race!
I just don't see how anyone who choose this over a a lot of other options that are similarly priced. The turbo is a necessity. Handling means a lot, but not everything, on the streets.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I was surprised you say it's as slow as it is. I glanced over the 200 HP figure and thought "hot hatch" territory, but those torque figures make me cringe. Like nails to the chalkboard cringe. It makes sense what you said now that I look at that figure. How is it that this thing can rotate on throttle with that kind of powerband?! 151 over just 200RPM?? :iono:

Really hope an aftermarket opens up for these cars, but with those volumes idk..

tman1

Ready to race!
Was supposed to have had the Toyota 86 test driven yesterday, but moved it to the weekend, will post results.

I'm a long time Subaru fan and my first fully owned car was a '07 Subaru Legacy. Asked the local dealership about availability and they sayd June-July. Time wasn't the problem but they said the price here would start around 37,500 (only auto) which put me off and hence I ended up with a GTi (best power : price : features).

On paper, there's no way I'd pick the BRZ/T86 over a GTi. I'd only take a sniff if the STi were to come to town but I would hazard a guess that it would be far more expensive and the price con would put it out of the running. Current Impreza STi price here is between 38,000 to 50,000.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion

A manual tranny is a complete necessity with this motor to get the 0 to 60 time of 6 something that MotorTrend posted. Reminds me a bit of the S2000 motor but with the top end hp.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
I was surprised you say it's as slow as it is. I glanced over the 200 HP figure and thought "hot hatch" territory, but those torque figures make me cringe. Like nails to the chalkboard cringe. It makes sense what you said now that I look at that figure. How is it that this thing can rotate on throttle with that kind of powerband?! 151 over just 200RPM?? :iono:

Really hope an aftermarket opens up for these cars, but with those volumes idk..

Like I said you need to drive it like you hate it to get any power out of it.:mad0259:

jaja123

Ready to race!
the lack of torque is why it probably feels slower. A stock brz and stock gti is probably pretty even acceleration wise.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
the lack of torque is why it probably feels slower. A stock brz and stock gti is probably pretty even acceleration wise.

True but only in all out acceleratin. Day to day driving were you are generally only using part throttle they are worlds apart. Also, the GTI is easily bumped to a massive 300 lb ft of torque with a simple ECU tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.