GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro switch question

Pseudo Nim

Ready to race!
Hi all,

I'm completely lost in the euroswitches. I read somewhere that one guy got a switch with Auto and for him, without retrofitting the rain/light sensor, the effect was that the headlights were on with ignition on, and off with ignition off - WITHOUT having to code that feature with VCDS. Is this the case? As that seems like a pretty good solution instead of hard-coding lights off with ignition off.

Thanks,

-pN

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
Since you have a R, the switch in the link below is the one you will want. No Auto light, your LED DRL will stay on and when you turn it to the parking position all the lights minus the headlights will turn on. A trigger wire needs to be installed for the parking position.

http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=Chrome&product_id=193

Would it work the same way for a non-R? I want the my lights to function just like that (LED DRL's always on like normal, just add control over parking lights) on my GTI.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Hi all,

I'm completely lost in the euroswitches. I read somewhere that one guy got a switch with Auto and for him, without retrofitting the rain/light sensor, the effect was that the headlights were on with ignition on, and off with ignition off - WITHOUT having to code that feature with VCDS. Is this the case? As that seems like a pretty good solution instead of hard-coding lights off with ignition off.

Thanks,

-pN

I have an auto switch, and no rain/light sensor and this is exactly how mine operates. If i leave it on AUTO or on headlamps (with or without fogs) the lights will turn on and off with the car ignition. It's quite handy if you always want your lights on.

Pseudo Nim

Ready to race!
I have an auto switch, and no rain/light sensor and this is exactly how mine operates. If i leave it on AUTO or on headlamps (with or without fogs) the lights will turn on and off with the car ignition. It's quite handy if you always want your lights on.

Hang on - so you leave it on auto OR headlamps and it ALWAYS turns off lights with no ignition? Did you code this with VCDS? Since that's how my OEM switch operates (on headlamps, since I don't have a RLS) when I set that in VCDS.

copizza

Ready to race!
Hang on - so you leave it on auto OR headlamps and it ALWAYS turns off lights with no ignition? Did you code this with VCDS? Since that's how my OEM switch operates (on headlamps, since I don't have a RLS) when I set that in VCDS.

I have the same setup.... Your lights just turn on and off with the ignition. Basically, my lights are always on when the car is operating under Auto. When i get out and shut off the car, the lights turn off. No coding is needed.

Make sense?

Pseudo Nim

Ready to race!
I have the same setup.... Your lights just turn on and off with the ignition. Basically, my lights are always on when the car is operating under Auto. When i get out and shut off the car, the lights turn off. No coding is needed.

Make sense?

How about if you set it to "headlamps" - will some lights stay on? Or is that what the parking light position is for? Any difference between the "headlamps" setting and "auto"? in this case?

copizza

Ready to race!
How about if you set it to "headlamps" - will some lights stay on? Or is that what the parking light position is for? Any difference between the "headlamps" setting and "auto"? in this case?

Well put.... I will check, but i think the exact same.

lemarin

Ready to race!
On my previous TDI, I had the Euroswitch, with Auto function and installed the light sensor behind my "auto dimming" mirror, on top of the windshield. It works great, and it's the closest you can be from an OEM setup, without rain sensor. I never use wippers, so the rain sensor was a no-go for me, especially that you need to "shave" you windshield to fit it in.

Here's the kit I ordered for my new R, to achieve the same setup as my previous TDI:

http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=43_44_63&product_id=166

And I choose "without front fog" option....

And this mirror, same as my TDI:

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Gentex-GENK40A-Auto-Dimming-Homelink/dp/B004U317QE

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
the only thing that leaves any lights on without ignition is the parking light setting. Since I ripped out my parking sidemarkers and my up front parking lights are coded as DRLs only (LEDs) I have no lights up front and my tails are all that stays lit. Thankfully the LED tails don't pull much juice at all as I have left them on a number of time, haha.

Pseudo Nim

Ready to race!
the only thing that leaves any lights on without ignition is the parking light setting. Since I ripped out my parking sidemarkers and my up front parking lights are coded as DRLs only (LEDs) I have no lights up front and my tails are all that stays lit. Thankfully the LED tails don't pull much juice at all as I have left them on a number of time, haha.

Did you code out the bulbs somehow? Or just driving around with bulb out error? Trying to remove my side markers.

lemarin

Ready to race!
For me the best setting would be like yours....just like I did on my S4:

-DRL: front LED and rear euro Tail LED
-parking: just add the yellow parking lights, and dim the front LED
-Low beam: add Bi-xenon headlamp
-Auto: use the light sensor to switch on/off the light automatically
-rear fog: must be at first on low beam position, then just pull the lever all the way

Unfortunately no front lights available on the R !

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Did you code out the bulbs somehow? Or just driving around with bulb out error? Trying to remove my side markers.

nope, no bulb out error, but I have changed like 15 different lighting settings between my LED replica headlamps, OEM LED tails, and cariety of other LED bulb changes and Xenons. No clue where to even start with the coding.. but I'm sure it can be done! :thumbup:

Pseudo Nim

Ready to race!
For me the best setting would be like yours....just like I did on my S4:

-DRL: front LED and rear euro Tail LED
-parking: just add the yellow parking lights, and dim the front LED
-Low beam: add Bi-xenon headlamp
-Auto: use the light sensor to switch on/off the light automatically
-rear fog: must be at first on low beam position, then just pull the lever all the way

Unfortunately no front lights available on the R !

The problem is the first one doesn't seem to be available on the R (tail list on with front LEDs). I'm confused as to VW dumbed down the electronics this much - I understand you can set any lights as DRL on Audis. On BMWs, you have exact the same configurability on both BMW and Mini so it's a bit strange.

I digress, though - any way to have tail LEDs on with DRL? Besides setting euro switch to "park" which dims the LEDs (another idiotic feature that nobody seems to be able to turn off...)